Sous Vide roast

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Sous Vide (Pronounced Sue Veed) which is French for "under Vacuum") There are a lot of reasons and benefits to cooking very lean cuts of wild game using this method that are explained at the link below.

What is Sous Vide Cooking? - Amazing Food Made Easy

Im using a bottom round roast. When cleaned up it has almost no fat meaning this cut of meat will be very dry and tough if conventional cooking methods are used.

For flavor Im larding the roast with split cloves of garlic. You can lard a roast with frozen pieces of fat or bacon or onions or whatever you like. Without fat (fat equals flavor) these moisture and flavor additives will only enhance the flavor of the roast. Insert the tip of a knife to create a pocket and then slide your flavoring (in this case garlic) along side the blade while sliding the blade out of the roast.

oubQQJC.jpg

wwm0gTp.jpg

I rubbed the outside of the roast with a dry rub steak seasoning but salt and pepper would suffice and then vacuum sealed the roast and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.

XGwHJl1.jpg

This roast will cook in the water bath for 7 hours at 135F. To ensure that there is water contacting all surfaces of the roast, I placed a canning jar ring on the bottom of the crock.

L1RhN1r.jpg

Now the roast will spend the next 7 hours under water. This should produce a medium rare roast. Cooking Sous Vide means no matter how long I cook this roast (6 or 8 or 12 or 24 hours), It will never get hotter than the water bath but will only get more tender with time. Like slow smoked brisket, low temps and time are used to break down the collagen in the meat into gelatin.

plLmklO.jpg

• Banned
OP
Sharp Things

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
About an hour before the roast was finished I prepared some Hassleback potatoes with onion slices in between the slices.Then brushed with meted butter and topped with parmesan cheese.

5kQ4kQx.jpg

Baked at 425 for 45 minutes.

I75KrFf.jpg

After 7 hours the roast is finished. Its not much to look at right out of the bag. Its lacking the sear that we are used to with meat.

Problem solved. Butane torch (not just for pastry chefs) or sear in a hot pan with butter.

Now the outer surface has the charred mahogany color which really does nothing but make the meat look nicer.

gS7sV2q.jpg

Time for the big reveal. Medium rare.

CoGFzwi.jpg

Add some glazed carrots to round out the plate and serve the meat on a bed of fried onions and mushrooms. The meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.

YGwEtfR.jpg

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great!. Ive never seen in done in a crock pot. I have one of the sticks and it's a great method for any wild game.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good, next time when you pull the roast out maybe chuck it on a blazing hot pan for a minute each side to get some caramelisation going.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work. I did one at that temp for 24hrs and found it was too long. Texture became mealy. Others done at 10 hrs or less have been great. I've really enjoyed being able.to.eat bear meat cooked to 145. Very delicious.