Smoker

Jimss

WKR
Curious what smoker you guys use and have luck with. I'm considering an electric smoker of some kind. I'd rather save $ but have no problem spending a little more for quality and dependability. I'll likely be using it for smoked salmon, venison, and a variety of wild game.

muddydogs

WKR
I have an old propane smoker and a Masterbuilt electric smoker both with the mailbox mod were I smoke with lumberjack pellets in a pellet tray or tube. I smoke salt, cheese, butter, nuts, and various meats in both.
My advice would be to think about what you want to smoke and purchase the appropriate unit, it's no big deal if your just smoking meats but if you want to cold smoke items you'll need a smoker that can cold smoke or be converted to cold smoke. Also go bigger then you think you want as once you get into smoking there's never enough room for the meat and side dishes.

wytx

WKR
I have a stick burner and love , but they are not for everyone. Yoder makes great smokers, pellet and stick burners.

Last edited:

nazca

FNG
I have one of those masterbuilt kegerator-sized smokers. I bought it years ago, but I hardly ever use it. I've been thinking of getting rid of it.

I usually end up using my Traeger instead. The pellet grill is a lot more versatile. I use it all the time for day-to-day smoking/baking/etc. The masterbuilt might be a little better setup for doing large batches of jerky, but besides that I like the Traeger better for pretty much everything.

Its been so long since I used it, I can't remember how low of temp you can actually smoke at with the masterbuilt. But if you're serious about cold smoke, I'd still go with a pellet grill, I'd just get one of the setups that has specific cold smoke capabilities. They'll be more expensive, but you'll get more bang for your $.

muddydogs

WKR
I would disagree on a pellet grill being more versatile then just about any other smoker out there. A pellet grill is a grill that burns pellets for cooking not smoking and most guys find they need to add a pellet tube or tray to the grill to get the smoke flavor up to par with other smokers. If all you want to do is grill burgers, chicken or the like and have a little smoke flavor then by all means get a grill but if you want to actually smoke food and be able to control the temp then get a smoker. If you want the true smoking experience then get a wood burning smoker. Plus most pellet grills are way overpriced for what they are.

Murdy

WKR
I recently bought a Masterbuilt electric, but haven't put it into use yet. I've been using my gas grill with a smoker box placed on the burners, it does a decent job, but you don't get a real heavy smoke flavor.
Though I just bought one, I'm contemplating adding another and my research points me toward the Weber Smokey Mountain, it's relatively economical, an actual smoker, been around for a while. I also am considering the Pit Barrel Cooker, though, my understanding is they do a great job, but are less versatile that a WSM (not as much control over the heat, for example).

bsnedeker

WKR
I recently bought a Masterbuilt electric, but haven't put it into use yet. I've been using my gas grill with a smoker box placed on the burners, it does a decent job, but you don't get a real heavy smoke flavor.
Though I just bought one, I'm contemplating adding another and my research points me toward the Weber Smokey Mountain, it's relatively economical, an actual smoker, been around for a while. I also am considering the Pit Barrel Cooker, though, my understanding is they do a great job, but are less versatile that a WSM (not as much control over the heat, for example).

I like my Bradley Electric smoker with a PID controller hooked up for precision. It's worked extremely well for me. The only issue is it's kind of small so if I want to hang sausages I end up with uneven cooking (burned at bottom before top is done).

That's why I just bought myself and old refrigerator that I'm turning into a smoker! I'll be able to do everything in this beast when it's all done...I'll share some picks later this summer when complete.

LostArra

WKR
Cookshack for me
Terrific food with minimal effort (almost embarrassing it's so easy with such outstanding results).
I like using(wasting) my time on other activities like home brewing beer rather than tending a fire all day.

Last edited:
I prefer the overall versatility of a kamado cooker. In one ceramic vessel I can roast, bake, simmer, grill, sear, barbecue and smoke. One of the best things about a kamado cooker (think Kamado Joe and Green Egg) is the gasketed construction which produces very high humidity levels inside. More delicate meats and veggies don't finish dried out. The ceramic (think firebrick) construction gives them great ability to hold heat when cooking in cold weather, and ours gets used throughout the year even when snow is on the ground. Nothing beats a slow-smoked beef brisket in January! There are plenty of ways to go for smoking meats and such. The important thing for me was to get the unit that gave me maximum versatility and opportunity to use it frequently.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Yoder YS640 for me. And I disagree with someone above. The thing DOES smoke. Just buy legit pellets made with the real wood you are wanting to smoke with. My understanding is some pellet brands are just "flavored" woods, oils and such. While I would love to use a stick burner, I just flat out don't have the time at this stage of my life to tend a fire. Set it and forget it with the Yoder fits my lifestyle at this time. Best of luck with whatever you choose. I'm really not sure you can go wrong with any of the suggestions.

Bughalli

WKR
Bradley with PID (external controller.). I also added a second heating element to give greater control (getting back to temperature after the door is opened or when you put cold meat in there). Love the setup. Super easy.

I actually have two Bradley's. One for meat, the other for fish. Best not to do oily fish in a meat smoker. It's tough to get the fish smell out and can transfer to your meat after you smoke fish. I picked up both of mine used $50 & $30. PID was new and pricey.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Weber Smoky Mountain cooker for ribs, shoulders, and brisket. Perfect every time.

Weber kettle grill for whole chicken and pork loins.

I have used a neighbors electric smoker and would not use one of those again.

Friend has a large Backwoods smoker that would probably hold 30 racks of ribs. That would be my choice if I could afford one.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a electric smoker for years. I am pretty cheap so I don't like to buy the "expensive" ones. So it has been masterbuilt and Cajun injector brand smokers for me. I like the ability to set a temp and time and not worry about running out of pellets or propane in a 4-5 hr batch. I get about three years out of them before something goes wrong with the electronics in it so about $60 per year or less. I am sure the higher price ones last longer but I don't think I would get a better smoke out of them over my cheap one. There is nothing like pulling hot jerky off the smoker and eating it right away.

Whisky

WKR

I would like to build something like that someday. I got plenty of cookers and smokers for BBQ but you can't beat a smokhouse for home processing. Curious about your smoke and heat source and temp control?