Rtic Softpak 30 as a carry-on/personal item

TauPhi111

WKR
Does anyone have an Rtic Softpak 30 and use it to take frozen meat/fish on a plane as a carry-on or personal item? I've been debating on getting either the 20 or the 30 for use on fishing trips. I'm leaning towards the 30, but I'm worried that it won't fit under he seat or in the overhead compartments of some of the smaller jets that often fly out of Dayton International where I live. I have no doubt the 20 would fit so I'm really looking for first hand experience with the 30. Anyone use this cooler as a carry on?

colonel00

WKR
I wouldn't plan on anything but a less than full backpack fitting under a seat. As for a carry-on, I don't have your cooler but I have used these Polar Bear 48 coolers in overhead bins. Check the dimensions compared to the one you are asking about. With this one, I never have it packed full and rigid as it does take a little squeezing to get into some of those more narrow bins.

48 Pack Soft Cooler, 48 Can Cooler | Polar Bear Coolers

Here's a tip though, when you get to the gate, very politely ask the gate agent if they are looking for people to check their carry-ons. You can then get it checked to your final destination for free so you don't have to lug it around anymore.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I have the RTIC soft pack. Not sure the size ? I think the middle of the 3 offered ?

I use it every Saturday when I head to my hunting camp. I use those frozen curved drink blocks, 3 bottles of coke, 2 water and a propel. Bottle of hot cherry peppers, stuffed pimentos, BBQ sauce. So it holds 9 bottles ez.

Then on top I lay what we will be grilling, chicken breast, Italian sausage, hot dogs, burgers.

Never a temp issue at all. I have zero zero zero doubt with how well it keeps my stuff down here in South Florida, which is close to Cuban, that it would keep frozen meat on a 5 hour flight. You just need to put some sort of excelerator to keep it cold. I am not a fan of pure ice in a soft pak, too messy. I prefer frozen gel packs. They excellerate the cold and the RTIC walls keeps it in.

Also, try to fill your cooler as much as possible to eliminate head air space and zip it tight and don’t open it.

This pak was the best $100 I ever spent !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 30, it stays in front seat of my truck. It would work for meat though if pre frozen