Instant Pot

Bulldawg

WKR
I don’t know if you guys have tried it or not, but I’ve started liking mine more and more, I’ve done mostly rice lol and it’s great! I’ve done some roasts here and there but last night I did Osso Bucco last night and holy cow I am converted! I cooked what usually takes me 4-5 hours in 45 minutes last night. Taste was incredible and the marrow was perfect. If you guys are on the fence try it out. And if you think you don’t have time to make these dishes that typically take all day I say try it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac7

WKR
Wife has been telling me to buy one for a while. Will have to look into them again. What model do you have?

they work really well. Just a new take on the old fashioned pressure cooker. I love roasts being done in less than an hour. Potatoes in like 8 minutes. We did baby back ribs in it and they were decent. Just needed to finish on the grill(we didn't but should have).

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Wife has been telling me to buy one for a while. Will have to look into them again. What model do you have?

I have the 6 qt i think, middle sized one. It's pretty awesome being able to cook "slow cook" items fast.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah it's a pressure cooker that is made to be more fool proof and user friendly.

It's convenient because you just have to push a button and it's cooking.

they work really well. Just a new take on the old fashioned pressure cooker. I love roasts being done in less than an hour. Potatoes in like 8 minutes. We did baby back ribs in it and they were decent. Just needed to finish on the grill(we didn't but should have).

Grumman

WKR
We got an 8 quart one that is perfect for a hungry family of four. There are a ton of recipe sites dedicated to them where you can make some really easy and delicious meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m obsessed with mine. My round steak usually stacked up in the back of the freezer as everything else got eaten. Now the round steak is going quickly thanks to the pressure cooker! Brown on sauté mode then cook however.

Murdy

WKR
Could any of you post up a recipe for Osso Bucco that you'd recommend (or link to one). I got one for a gift (different brand/same device, I think) and haven't tried it out yet.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have the 6qt and like it for the most part. I would go with the 8 if I had it to do again. My biggest complaint is the "saute" feature doesn't get as hot as I would like to sear things. I like to put a good crust on a roast before braising/pressure cooking and the instant pot doesn't do as good of a job as my ceramic dutch. If I have time, I don't do roasts/braises/etc the traditional way, but when you need to knock something out in an hour or less it is really nice.

My favorite uses are doing hard/soft boiled eggs, steamed food, and broth.

Some tips: 1) you need less water than you would if using a crock pot/oven braise method. I made a lot of soupy food before figuring out to cut way down on added liquid 2) if you are doing meat and veg, add the veg at the end and go for another 5-8 minutes. I do this on roasts and corned beef/cabbage to very good effect. If you put the vegetables in at the start, they are soup by the time the meat is done. 3) clean the gasket and vent every time you use it. There can be some strange funk if you don't. 4) If doing broth, roast the bones/meat in the oven before pressure cooking. 5) Don't let eggs sit for more than 5-10 minutes after steaming. If you get them in the cold shock quick, the shells virtually (and sometimes actually) pop right off. 6) some quick time tips - Shredded chicken breast - 16-19 min; Beef brisket/corned beef - 80 min; Pot roast - 50 min + 8-10 min with potatoes and carrots (cut potatoes smaller than halves); Eggs - 3 min soft boiled, 5-8 min hard boiled; Broth; 45 min; Pulled pork - 40-50 min.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Some shanks, celery, carrots, onions, salt pepper, stock, tomato paste, wine. Flour salt and pepper the shanks, brown. brown veggies, add tomato paste, caramelize. Add wine get all the stuff off the bottom of the pan, cook down wine. Add shanks back in, add broth to get close to the top of the shank, put in the instant pot for 45 minutes and enjoy! Make sure to use the marrow! it's delicious on toast!

Could any of you post up a recipe for Osso Bucco that you'd recommend (or link to one). I got one for a gift (different brand/same device, I think) and haven't tried it out yet.