Packing meat out main compartment

Amac1989

FNG
Hey if I'm packing out mule deer, bear, or elk using an ILBE pack... what's the best way to pack the meat? I read another forum asking the same question and people were saying contractor bag to contain blood since you want to put meat on top to keep weight on frame.. but I've read contractor bags can spoil meat fast. So I down the animal, quarter it.. hang to dry a bit in game bags, then what?
Straight in the pack or contractor bag?
This will probably be in 70-90 degree heat, NorCal.

duchntr

WKR
Ill have my camp gear (sleeping bag, tent, pad) in the sleeping bag compartment then Ill drop the quarters or boned out meat into the pack. then ill stuff the remaining light weight stuff on the far side of the meat (furthest point away from your back) then cinch down your straps and go. I don't ever wait at the kill site for the meat to cool, ill lay them out as I take it off the animal allowing for airflow then it goes right in my pack when the butchering is done. As soon as I get where Im going it'll come out of the garbage bag then get hung or put on ice.

Don't get too wrapped up in the minutiae, if your worried about heat, wrap your gear instead of the meat then put the meat in on top. The blood will come out of your pack with COLD water. Also get yourself some good game bags. There is a hundred ways guys do this and Im not going to say what is right or what is wrong as long as the meat is fine thats all that matters. Good luck

Last edited: