2018 season

stuckey_t

FNG
Flying into camp in Northern British Columbia right next to the yukon border on Spetember 28th. Mountain moose hunting by horseback, can't wait!

abock

FNG
Heading out with Renfro's as well. September 8th. First moose hunt (and first hunt in Alaska). Like others, Forum has been a huge help. This trip has been two years in the making! We've been counting days since January. Let's hope the bulls are moving. Good luck to all heading out.

Sounds like Renfro’s is going to be pretty busy this year, as I too am going out with them. We are supposedly their last group out for the season (Sept 18), which I’m not sure if it is a good thing or not. Hoping the rut is in full bore by then and they are coming in to see me. I am taking my dad on this hunt as a retirement gift to him (40 years with the same company). It will be our first time hunting in Alaska and moose hunting. I really appreciate all the advice (and gear) that this forum has offered. Many a great people on here. Thanks for all the advice and happy hunting. And I expect to see pictures of great success from all the others going out this year too!!

bmrfish

WKR
Brooks range, September 14-25. Float hunt for moose with possible caribou. This will be our 4th Alaska hunt and I just can’t seem to get enough of it. And this year I am #1 moose shooter (moose hunting is not very democratic.) Coming on fast now. Time to start pulling out some gear soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick940

Banned
Sounds like Renfro’s is going to be pretty busy this year, as I too am going out with them. We are supposedly their last group out for the season (Sept 18), which I’m not sure if it is a good thing or not. Hoping the rut is in full bore by then and they are coming in to see me. I am taking my dad on this hunt as a retirement gift to him (40 years with the same company). It will be our first time hunting in Alaska and moose hunting. I really appreciate all the advice (and gear) that this forum has offered. Many a great people on here. Thanks for all the advice and happy hunting. And I expect to see pictures of great success from all the others going out this year too!!

The peak of the moose rut is between September 28 and October 2. It never varies. Each year, that's when 90% of cows over the age of three years are in estrus. You can pretty much set your calendar by it. The first four weeks of September involve pre-rut behavior. You should probably read the scientific literature published by the likes of biologists Ballenberghe, Crouse and Geist.

Hunting in Matane in Quebec for the 2nd time, but it’s a new place for us. Hope our streak of luck continues! We’ve been bless with a cow 2 years ago and 2 bulls on the same evening last year. All archery.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Flying into a remote lake in unit 16B Alaska on September 17th or 18th, plane will be back to pick us up on the 25th. This will be a hunt with family/friends, one of which owns the plane, and is costing me only the price of my flight to and from Alaska, tags/licenses, and food.

AkReaper

FNG
14C, road hunt 30 minutes from the house! Gonna "rough" it in the camper to just grab extra sleep and more time in the power lines!!!:p:p:p:p:p But my son is gonna go with us and we will look for a spike for a day or 2 and if one does appear he is gonna get to cut my draw tag ;)

Last edited:
Going to the Yukon around Bonnet Plume area for two weeks in middle of September. I got my gear down to less than 45lbs and that includes two bows.

September 1st - Across the river in the meadow, about 2 miles up the hill, right by the stand of dwarf birch, next to the burn area...:)

GOPR0665 (2).jpg

Broomd

WKR
I'll be hunting for an Idaho bull right around my house this year. Season starts 9/15 and ends 12/1.
Wife and I will be in the Caribbean for that first week, (it's typically damn hot here at that time) so starting Sept 23rd I'll get serious about calling and glassing. Hopefully by the start of elk season 10/10 I'll have taken a good bull.
If not, I'll hunt the clearcuts hard in mid November with the snow around and leaves gone.

A decent Shiras in this country is over 40", I'm hoping for 42-45"....we'll see. The hunt is always more meaningful to me than the kill...so size may be less important.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
After 6 long years of waiting I drew my bull moose tag in north western alberta. I will be hunting Sep 19 to Oct 2.
Good luck everyone

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting 14A in AK near Flathorn Lake. Did some scouting a couple weeks ago. Never hunted moose but excited based on what we saw scouting. This is 100% DIY including us flying out to the lake in my buddies plane. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I'll be hunting north Idaho for bull moose this year. Heading over September 22nd for the last week of the month and first full week of October to try and capture the prime rut activity. 9-15 thru 12-1 season. Good luck to all and look forward to hearing some of the epic hunts.

I know there are already people in the field and some getting REALLY CLOSE!!

Just want to say good luck to everybody and can't wait to hear all the stories!

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, a week from Monday we fly out. I am very much ready!

Good luck to everyone else going too!