Fitness for moose hunts.

mcseal2

WKR
I was wondering what others did to prepare themselves to pack moose. I've been going 2-3 miles 3x per week with a pack through the steepest terrain I have access to, lots of uneven ground and as much elevation change as I can get. I'm up to carrying 70lbs on that trip and will continue to up that a little as it gets closer. I've also been doing "pond laps" in a large pond near home in my waders and wading boots. I figure it's good to get the muscles I use to pull my feet up out of the mud built up too. Work has me putting hours in horseback several days per week that also helps with the core and leg muscles.

As I'm within 2 months of the hunt any other things I should be looking at doing?

Thanks once again for everyone's help.

Maverick940

Banned
Whatever you can do to strengthen your lower back and shoulders, and tighten up your ankles and knees. On average, I carry two bull moose a year. Lower back, shoulders, ankles and knees (in that order) are the critical stress points.

Trial153

WKR
Packing out a moose sucks. There isnt any preparations for the suck. A good pack that works for you and the put one foot in front of the other. Your going to be making several trips anyway so nonsense overloading.

ckleeves

WKR
My recommendation is to find a foam pit nearby. Now put on your pack and try walking through it while having somebody spray you with a hose and freezing water. You will also need another helper to whip you repeatedly with willows, paying special attention to your cold ears and face. Do this for a few hours daily and you will be all practiced up!

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds as though you're on the right track Heath. Those pond laps you're talking about ring true for me. I thought the same thing and have made a couple jaunts through some wetland areas in waders. A guy finds out about muscles that he didn't realize he had after a hike through that inhospitable mess!
I hadn't seen where others brought up this point yet, but a healthy dose of mental toughness can be every bit as beneficial, if not more than physical toughness. Those who posses the muster and fortitude to persevere will achieve success more times than not. Not knocking the physical aspect at all as it definitely makes the trips more enjoyable. Just offering up a tidbit that can be overlooked sometimes. Bring on September! Good luck to each and everyone of you

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I know packing a moose is going to suck. Packing elk sucks and this is a lot bigger critter in a lot worse terrain. I'm just trying to prepare to accomplish the job without injuring myself. I have never failed to get my share of the meat out on a kill and I don't plan to start now. Hopefully that attitude and past experience will help with the mental side of the game.

The area I will be hunting requires quarters to be bone-in. The transporter did not want us cutting quarters in half either, so I'm trying to prepare for pretty heavy loads. I'm also planning to be pretty careful about where I shoot one.

Thanks everyone.

I know packing a moose is going to suck. Packing elk sucks and this is a lot bigger critter in a lot worse terrain. I'm just trying to prepare to accomplish the job without injuring myself. I have never failed to get my share of the meat out on a kill and I don't plan to start now. Hopefully that attitude and past experience will help with the mental side of the game.

The area I will be hunting requires quarters to be bone-in. The transporter did not want us cutting quarters in half either, so I'm trying to prepare for pretty heavy loads. I'm also planning to be pretty careful about where I shoot one.

Curious as to why your transporter is telling you not to cut the quarters in half.

I honestly didn’t know you could do this but I spoke with a guy that has been on the same hunt/transporter that I’m using and he said that it’s ok to cut the quarters in half. Can anybody clarify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may be wrong, but I believe if the area you are hunting requires that the quarters be bone-in, then it would be illegal to cut the quarters in half. My understanding of the “bone in” regulation is that all the meat has to remain on the bone until it’s actually processed (including ribs in some areas). I think it’s intended to reduce meat waste.

FWIW, having the bones in the quarters keeps the meat more manageable to move around. Debone it and you have 100ish pounds of jello to try and move around. Bones also make it way easier to hang the quarters and get adequate airflow to the meat. Take my advice with a grain of salt. I’ve killed a few moose myself, and helped stalk, butcher and transport a bunch more, but I don’t pack moose anywhere. If they can’t be hauled with a vehicle, boat or atv pretty much from where they fall, I would t kill one. A big hind quarter can weigh as much as I do :)

Last edited:
A woman's gotta know her limitations. :D

I don't really have any 'getting in shape' advice. Okay...a bit: Shed the weight and be lean. Your lower back, hips, thighs and everything on down will be tested by moose packing. In fact, it's really a total body workout from the start of butchering until the head is packed out. I generally stay in decent shape year around and so I basically do nothing to prepare for the job. I'm strong enough to manage a load of meat and I'm decidedly not built like a ballet dancer (6-0 x 195). Seems to me that no matter what I plan for, that's not what actually happens in the field. I've packed out moose over fairly long distances and don't recommend it. I also don't recommend shooting one next to water unless you have the absolute ability to deal with that...a dead moose submerged. To be honest, I'm personally not shooting a bull anywhere that presents an added serious degree of difficulty to an already difficult job.

I also think the advice about lightening up your pack and going a bit easier is valid. The last thing you need now is a strained muscle or joint. All things in moderation.

KJH

WKR
To be honest, I'm personally not shooting a bull anywhere that presents an added serious degree of difficulty to an already difficult job.

Me too. I don't care how big the moose is, I'm not shooting it if it makes a hard job even harder.

Maverick940

Banned
Me too. I don't care how big the moose is, I'm not shooting it if it makes a hard job even harder.

My hunters and I don't kill them any further than a mile from the plane. Packing two Alaska/Yukon bulls every year --- sometimes three Alaska/Yukon bulls --- is hard enough on me, without it being way the heck over there and back (lol).

abock

FNG
Check out the MTNTough Fitness Lab program. It is app-based and will whoop you. It is a three month program, but even getting through half of it in advance of your trip will be a win. I've lost 30 lbs through diet and this program so far.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't do anything special to physically prepare for moose every year. I do work-out/wt lift at the gym year long, so my baseline is a good starting point.

That said, I want to reinforce what some others have said...be mindful of what you are doing. Look and think in advance about where you do and do not want to drop a bull. This will help you plan your calling strategies/locations based upon the wind that session, i.e., they typically want to get down-wind of your calling location, but not always...one of the bulls last year came straight in like a freight train.

Humping the meat over tundra back to camp or the lake is a special kind of work-out/torture. I really do not like to do it, but I have done it many times and will again. I just want to make sure it isn't any further away than it needs to be. I've gotten real picky about where and how far out we are going to shoot a bull the more I have humped those loads...because I'm the one who is going to hump it back (my hunting partner is a great guy who is mildly handicapped). The point is, make sure your hunting partner is onboard with the game plan about where and how far out a bull is ok to shoot, or else that big monster bull standing at the edge of the lake looks like a great take...but the edge of the lake is actually waist deep for a human for at least twenty five yards at that specific spot...you can do the math on that scenario.

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I do a bunch of coyote calling each year and compete in some local tournaments where the proceeds go to good causes. I even win a few too. I am used to playing the wind for that and setting up for shots on the downwind. I think with 2 of us we might set up for the primary shooter to be downwind where it is possible. My buddy going with me grew up a mile down the road, we learned to hunt together and have hunted together since. He is definitely on board about not shooting one in a bad spot.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
mcseal2...you are going to have such a great adventure. You've sought ideas, listened, and prepared well. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Back to fitness...I'll share one last comment here. I've found it difficult to impossible to get a bull to come to my calls when he is busy maintaining control over cows that he has hearded-up in preparation for rut. They just don't want to leave those cows unattended for even a few minutes. Two years ago I got one to my location, but it took him three days to get there with his cows. Here's the point...you may find yourself in a situation where you see the biggest bull you can imagine on the horizon, way out there, and he's on cows and he won't come to your calls. That is the situation where it typically becomes a tough moment for many people. I've heard of guys who hiked over for the day and took the bull, but then couldn't get the meat back to camp, or it took several days to get it back and the meat went bad...regardless of how good of physical shape the individuals were in pre-hunt. Last year I was in that moment...the bull had to be way over 70...I passed on him and it was hard, but I'm there primarily for the experience and the meat. I also have trophy hunted in Africa...so no offense meant there.

GotDraw?

WKR
Consider using 5 lb ankle weights on your training hikes to simulate the weight of the heavy rubber boots you'll be lifting every time you take a step and lift a leg.

Everyone practices/trains for wearing a pack, climbing a hill, carrying weight, etc. Few train those very small upper leg muscles for the very real stress of repeatedly lifting heavy boots over brush.

I was surprised how tired those muscles got during my moose hunt.

JL

Maverick940

Banned
Consider using 5 lb ankle weights on your training hikes to simulate the weight of the heavy rubber boots you'll be lifting every time you take a step and lift a leg.

One of my April brown bear hunters did that for two years before he came on his hunt. He started out with 2 pounders and eventually worked up to 10 pounders. It definitely helped.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
That makes no sense but glad your love life is going well?