Those who hunt moose in waders

For those of you who have hunted moose in waders, how is hiking around in wading boots? Obviously I’ve never done it and have never wore waders before but I just can’t imagine wading boots being very comfortable covering any kind of ground in.

For some reason I’m trying to talk myself out of wearing waders and wading boots for my hunt but at the same time it seems makes sense if my area is “boggy”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick940

Banned
For those of you who have hunted moose in waders, how is hiking around in wading boots? Obviously I’ve never done it and have never wore waders before but I just can’t imagine wading boots being very comfortable covering any kind of ground in.

For some reason I’m trying to talk myself out of wearing waders and wading boots for my hunt but at the same time it seems makes sense if my area is “boggy”

When I'm not wearing plastics, I'm wearing hip waders. During a six-month guiding season, I'm in waders at least 70% of the time. I pretty much live in them during those six months. For me they're comfortable and warm when it's cold. The key, for me anyway, is using an insulated "ankle-fit" pair.

Most the brands that make waders and boots have at least a pair or 2 of boots that are made for hiking. I have been looking into the Simms vaportread boot.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
When moose hunting up here in tundra areas, I'm primarily wearing an ankle fit, insulated, knee-high rubber boot, e.g., Mucks, LaCrosse, etc.

I do also (and always) have chest waders with me just in case, i.e., Simm's G-4's and G-4 boots.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously it can depend on terrain. But I backpacked 5ish miles in my Simms wader boots (women’s vapor, similar to men’s guide boot) on a kodiak brown bear hunt quite comfortably. I got a pair of neoprene socks to suck up some of the excess space (I didn’t want to hike up 1000’ of elevation in waders) and they worked great. I would have zero hesitation hiking around in them to hunt moose. If you are in boggy stuff, waders will be the only way to stay dry.

KJH

WKR
I finally thought I have the best moose hunting footwear for me figured out... I don't wear waders where I hunt, but I went to wearing a Muck Muckmaster series commercial boot with Yoder chaps sew onto them. This makes them a fully waterproof hip wader when you want to be in the bog or a regular boot when you don't. I don't need a hip length boot 95% of the time, but when I do its handy. The boots are comfortable enough to walk a lot and glass. My feet sweat, but it hasn't been unbearable. At night at camp, I slip on some crocs and put each of my boots upside down on a stick to dry out and get some ventilation. I really like these for moose hunting. Its a good compromise from wearing a full wader all the time. MuckMaster Hip Boot w/Super Duty Chap - Godwin's Outdoor Inc.

I recently bought a pair of Cabelas Instinct Lockdown boots that Kevin Dill recommended but haven't had the chance to wear them on a hunt yet. Once I start wearing those they may be my new boots... but who knows.

OP
Robinhood21
I finally thought I have the best moose hunting footwear for me figured out... I don't wear waders where I hunt, but I went to wearing a Muck Muckmaster series commercial boot with Yoder chaps sew onto them. This makes them a fully waterproof hip wader when you want to be in the bog or a regular boot when you don't. I don't need a hip length boot 95% of the time, but when I do its handy. The boots are comfortable enough to walk a lot and glass. My feet sweat, but it hasn't been unbearable. At night at camp, I slip on some crocs and put each of my boots upside down on a stick to dry out and get some ventilation. I really like these for moose hunting. Its a good compromise from wearing a full wader all the time. MuckMaster Hip Boot w/Super Duty Chap - Godwin's Outdoor Inc.

I recently bought a pair of Cabelas Instinct Lockdown boots that Kevin Dill recommended but haven't had the chance to wear them on a hunt yet. Once I start wearing those they may be my new boots... but who knows.

I’ve been looking at the mucks with the sewn in chaps also

Beendare

WKR
I've seen or used just about everything out there I bet.

It really comes down to a couple things for me; Conditions and fit

if its boggy, there is nothing better than waders or hippers....everything else is a compromise.

If you get the stocking fits with a decent boot over, you can cover a lot of ground pretty comfortable....so I think stocking foot is the way to go for a moose hunt or hunting in swampy country. I was pleasantly surprised with the Frogg Togg hippers on my last moose hunt....performed well. [actually they were chest waders I cut down to hippers]

The Neos...are a compromise that is so bulky and noisy they are not worth the effort, IMO.

abock

FNG
I am going with Frog Togg Hellbenders and Orvis Ultralight's. We'll see how the pair perform shortly!

mcseal2

WKR
I have been doing my pond laps to get my legs in shape in Simms G3 boots and chest waders. It sucks when it's 90+ but I haven't had any issues. The ankle support is decent and I haven't had any blisters or hot spots. I custom ordered my Simms to get a smaller foot on my waders that fits really well.

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 17 days last year for moose in Frogg Togg Canyon Hip waders(stocking foot). I went up 1.5 boot size and wore a pair of Keene hiking boots and kuiu yukon gaiters. When I wasn't wading through deeper bog/water I would roll down the waders and put them inside my gaiters. I loved the system because it's much lighter than the traditional muck boots or attached wader boots. It also allowed me to add a pair of merino wool socks inside the stocking feet for added warmth and sweat absorption.
Just another idea to think about! Happy hunting!!

OP
Robinhood21
I hunted 17 days last year for moose in Frogg Togg Canyon Hip waders(stocking foot). I went up 1.5 boot size and wore a pair of Keene hiking boots and kuiu yukon gaiters. When I wasn't wading through deeper bog/water I would roll down the waders and put them inside my gaiters. I loved the system because it's much lighter than the traditional muck boots or attached wader boots. It also allowed me to add a pair of merino wool socks inside the stocking feet for added warmth and sweat absorption.
Just another idea to think about! Happy hunting!!

Great idea, thanks