Newfoundland moose hunt travel advice

rlmmarine

WKR
As stated before I'm driving to newfoundland in oct. For a moose hunt. Anyone that's taken the trip have any advice. Places to stop, must see places, or any general advice. I'll be leaving 10 days before the trip so I'll have time to stop along the way. It should make a great road trip and I'd like to here any and all advice.

Thanks in advance
Robert

Trial153

WKR
In no particular order.

Driving through mass, NJ and CT make sure you have both a trigger lock and locked case.

Of the two maine boader crossings ....Calais is very simple and less crowded vs I95. Getting to it takes you through some nice country and gets you off I95 a bit.

The ferry in north Sydney and traveling to it.
When traveling toward north Sydney on hwy 105 your GPS may tell you to turn onto rt 223 which is more direct a few less miles. DONT take this..
There is an ok restaurant on the hill overlooking the ferry terminal. Park your truck in the line and walk to it ...get the cod tongue.
About the ferry. Dont be afraid to change your reservation if your early they are really good about it. We have gotten earlier ferry's without a hitch.
Get a cabin or at the very very least reserve a reclining seat. A cabin is worth it for an over night. They no longer will let you sleep in your vehicle.
Fill up your truck before you get on the ferry, gas is insanely expensive in NL. Also after you leave the ferry terminal its slim picking for gas staions till corner brook and then deer lake.

Who are you hunting with?

Last edited:
OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
I'm hunting with iron bound out of deer lake. I should be on the island a few days early is there anything must see while on the island. Thanks for the heads up on fuel and the ferry. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again to all

Speedbump

FNG
LL Bean and Acadia National Park, both in Maine, are worth some time.
You should be able to see some fall colors during your trip, likely better on the return side.
The Maine coast line as well as Nova Scotia's are pleasant places to dawdle with tons of great little seafood joints.
The parking lot at the ferry, both ends, can be quite the social occasion, beginning several hours before scheduled departures.
Mystic Seaport, Connecticut, Newport, Rhode Island and Old Sturbridge Village, MA offer lots of stuff depending upon your interests.
I am more than a little paranoid when the truck is packed up & I'm heading out on a hunt, so park your vehicle in secure places. I would not spend an extra minute in metro NYC or Boston.
I am heading back to NF in six weeks, and take 3 days for the trip leaving from western NYS. It's a great drive.
Good hunting.