Boots Newfoundland moose

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Were going to hunt Newfoundland moose in 2019. I know a lot of guys use muck or Lacrosse boots to hunt up there, but I hate walking in rubber boots more than a few hundred yards. I hunted POW in lowa tibets with Kuiu gators with no wet feet all week. Can I get away with this system in Newfoundland? I was thinking about trying it and taking a pair of Lactose boots as backup boots.

Last edited:
K

Kootenay Hunter

I've only looked at them in a store, but Irish Settler has boots that fit tighter around the ankle to prevent that sloppy boot feel.

You're talking about LaCrosse?

Don't you only have to go 100 yds to see a moose in NFLD?

Trial153

WKR
On my last NL hunt I wore a combination of Zamberlan cougars with gaitors and mucks.
Honestly there been places in NL you can wear hiking boots and others you need hip boots. As much as I hate them.....high rubber or neoprene boots are the best compromise. Getting in an out of boats you can run into issue with regular boots.
I am going back next year and I most likely will only bring a pair of lighter weight lacrosse boots I picked up. Play around with sizes and by aftermarket insole and they are serviceable.
You guide will most likely be in cheap rubber boots with HH rain paints over it...FYI

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have tried on the Irish setter boots and they felt good. Review I have read have been less than desirable.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted NL twice and going back in a few weeks. I have used 17" or 18" rubber boots with soft neopreme uppers successfully both weeks, sept. and nov. walking the bogs, wading into lakes to get in and out of boats, walking the muddy trails, and have not had any issues. I sized them in cabelas to fit snug over a calf hi merino boot sock with a merino crew hi over it. Used a light weight unisulated boot with I think 3 or 5 mm neopreme uppers. Was never cold or wet. On a warm day or going back out for the evening I didnt use the second sock. Picked a boot that my heel didnt slip in. I found the cabela branded boots to fit better for me than the higher priced brands. I will be using the same boots again last week of Sept. It rained off and on every day I have been there. I pulled my calf highs over my base layers, and tucked my pants on the boots and just let my rain pants cover the boots most of the time to shed rain water.

Last edited:

Rs3003

WKR
Read the Kevin Dill article/post review. It seems like a great option. I wore a uninsulated rubber boot from Cabela’s in 2004. I still have the boots with NO leaks.

Bama Van

FNG
I have hunted in NL 4 times, this year will be my 5th. I would only wear rubber boots, I usually wear Lacrosse , but I finally have got the goody out of the pair I wear in NL. So I am going to go try on several brands and see which ones I like the best. The outfit I hunt with, we do a lot of walking and it is very wet especially when you add in the boggs. Good luck.

I have hunted NL twice and going back in a few weeks. I have used 17" or 18" rubber boots with soft neopreme uppers successfully both weeks, sept. and nov. walking the bogs, wading into lakes to get in and out of boats, walking the muddy trails, and have not had any issues. I sized them in cabelas to fit snug over a calf hi merino boot sock with a merino crew hi over it. Used a light weight unisulated boot with I think 3 or 5 mm neopreme uppers. Was never cold or wet. On a warm day or going back out for the evening I didnt use the second sock. Picked a boot that my heel didnt slip in. I found the cabela branded boots to fit better for me than the higher priced brands. I will be using the same boots again last week of Sept. It rained off and on every day I have been there. I pulled my calf highs over my base layers, and tucked my pants on the boots and just let my rain pants cover the boots most of the time to shed rain water.

What rain pants did you use?

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
Kryptek koldo jacket & pants, good & tough going through thick alders, and breathable and I thought pretty quiet compared to my guide's sitka. Some have said they don't care for pit zips on a rain jacket, but this was the perfect place to use them walking into the bogs, sometimes through pretty thick alders, and the spongy ground makes me sweat even moving slow. I mostly wore merino base layers, merino pants & synthetic shirt, and hardshell with a light puffy for when we set up to call. First day out first time in NL, wore soft shell over base layers with a poseidon rain jacket in and out of pack all day, but it would rain hard for 15 mins, then sun out and steam for a while, then another rainstorm would come through. The guides and the outfitter were all wearing sitka stormfront jacket and pants, except the bow guide, I think he was wearing dewpoint rain gear...anyway his wasnt as stiff and noisy as the rifle guide's. So I switched to the koldo set and was happier all round. It got pretty windy in Nov and that was mostly spot and stalk from a boat, you needed rain gear to deal with the wind spray over the bow. Koldo did the job for that too.

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
I too used muck neoprene boots. Another guy used traditional with gaiters and ending up getting muck boots before the trip was over. We were far from stephenville on a drive in hunt. I used Cabela’s rain pants and had to duct tape them the third day so thumbs down on them.