2019 AK Moose

Just looking for recommendations on pilots services in AK. 2 guys, drop-in moose hunt Late September. Budget...$5k. Coming from Denver.

Trial153

WKR
That's going to be tight. There are lots of recommendations for drop camps on past threads here. Dig a bit and you will be in good shape

OP
C
I know...i've dug a little. papa bear, renfro...etc. Just curious anyone had others and reviews. I figured $1k to get there and back, then $4k to play around with drop in flights etc. I'm excluding meat transportation.

Right now I'd guess there are more guys looking for slots in 2019 than there are openings. If it was me I would be sure any desirable pilot or taxi service had my complete contact information, AND I'd make them understand the money is ready and instantly available if they should find an opening or have a ccancellation. Squeaky wheel for sure.

VernAK

WKR
As this season ends next month, many hunters re-book for next year.
The most reputable flight services with the better areas don't have to
go looking for clients. If you find an outfit that is looking for clients,
you best do some research.

If they are relatively new in the business, they may be dropping
hunters in areas and strips of the long established outfits resulting
in conflict.

OP
C
As this season ends next month, many hunters re-book for next year.
The most reputable flight services with the better areas don't have to
go looking for clients. If you find an outfit that is looking for clients,
you best do some research.

If they are relatively new in the business, they may be dropping
hunters in areas and strips of the long established outfits resulting
in conflict.

thanks for the heads up.

Haven’t used them but just for their air charter service and fishing trips but have you checked out? They offer a drop camp hunt in your price range.

Last edited:
This is what I’m doing for a budgeted $5K Alaska moose hunt with my father and uncle.

Moose Tag - $800
Hunting License - $160
Air Taxi to Hunt Location Cost - $2000
Boat Rental 3 way Split - $350
Hotels before fly out and after fly in split 3 ways - $200
Checked in Baggage both ways - $300
Alaska Airlines Flight - FREE (with Alaskan Airlines Credit Card airline miles)
That gives me around $1000 to play with for extra expenses along the way (which I know will happen).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
This is what I’m doing for a budgeted $5K Alaska moose hunt with my father and uncle.

Moose Tag - $800
Hunting License - $160
Air Taxi to Hunt Location Cost - $2000
Boat Rental 3 way Split - $350
Hotels before fly out and after fly in split 3 ways - $200
Checked in Baggage both ways - $300
Alaska Airlines Flight - FREE (with Alaskan Airlines Credit Card airline miles)
That gives me around $1000 to play with for extra expenses along the way (which I know will happen).

Goto break down. Who are you using for your air taxi?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't read every response here, so forgive me covering any old tracks...

There's a growing demand for hunting up here, which is allowing bad guy operations to fill gaps where reputable services have waiting lists (I'm booked until 2021, which means i have slots for pilots for the next three years and they don't have to answer a single call to secure revenue streams). Bad guys too are filling slots and expanding their operations into other carefully managed scenarios...which is impacting the experience we pay for. Do your home work on outfitters and pilots. Ask for unsuccessful groups if you can get them on the phone. If the company wont give you unsuccess stories, walk away.

Now, supply and demand raises costs: If you hunt SW expect charter rates to be as high as $7500 per person for bush logistics alone. In the NE rates are as high as $6500 and low as $4000. The Interior SE rates are closer to $4000 per person, some cheaper. Each of these settings offer different pay out for your investment. It helps to know or hypothesize what terrain types and river setting might appeal most to you. Then, decide if success means harvest or whether setting and experience trumps blood. Swamps vs rivers with vistas...legal bull vs 60+ goal...pain vs leisure....

good luck

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Larry's post is extremely excellent advice...take his advice.

The hunting area in SW is huge on a map with hundreds and hundreds of lakes to land an aircraft. However, a good number of those lakes are absolutely and continuously wet and boggy, which moose may like, but reputable outfitters try not to use because it is so boggy that you would be hard-pressed to find a dry patch of ground to pitch your tent.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Co-Jack, one last note about your budget...it's 30% light for an average expense sheet for here and back home. Most guys forget to add the convenience taxes, meat or antler ship costs, meals on the road, food for hunt, new bed roll, survival items. Hundred dollar bills is the remedy for all that ail's ya in state. If you think you'll spend $5K it'll settle somewhere closer to $7500 if you do it by next year. Bump that figure up to $8K per person by 2021.

I've noticed price increases all over the map with businesses this past three years, subtly increasing by 4.5% each year (3 X 4 = 15% higher prices in short order). Today to fly gear and meat cargo, it's often over $1/lb for timely service...five years ago average was $0.50/lb for the same service.

the small hikes add up, just hoping to give ya some realistic goals. This way if you come in less than that, score one for the home team!

I’m pretty confident I can do this hunt for $5k or under. Only time will tell but I plan on doing a detailed write up of all costs after it’s all said and done.

cnelk

WKR
Believe me, an Alaska moose hunt is not the place to pinch pennies.

Plan on spending more than $5k, if you can’t, don’t go.
If you do spend $5k or less, count your blessings

Trial153

WKR
Believe me, an Alaska moose hunt is not the place to pinch pennies.

Plan on spending more than $5k, if you can’t, don’t go.
If you do spend $5k or less, count your blessings
I agree with this. ^

There are way to many incidental costs that come on this hunt to be on a really tight budget. Better to plan high and come under budget then to be sweating nickles when its supposed to be a good time.

I have a reputable Air Taxi lined up. Got references from several people on them and all were good. (Did not get the references from the Air Taxi, I found previous hunters from intensive research). I am budgeting $5K. If I have to pull out my credit card for some reason, I have no problem doing that. But like I said, I’m pretty sure I can do it for 5k.

If I go over then I’ll have a credit card payment for a little while... quite ok with me. Only time will tell.

(Keep in mind, that cost is not including gear, food, etc)

mcseal2

WKR
I'm keeping track of what my trip costs minus gear purchases. I'll let you all know after I get home what it ends up at. I am expecting it to be considerably higher than what I thought it would be in 2015 when I booked. My research since has shown a little of what all expenses accumulate. Anything in a remote area costs more than it would in a regular travel corridor, I knew that going in just didn't factor it in quite enough at first. I should have. I know that we fuel up at the last big truck stop in my diesel truck (65 gallons with auxillary tank) when we go elk hunting because fuel is several dollars per gallon cheaper than in the little mountain town we hit last. Remote is awesome but costly.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a reputable Air Taxi lined up. Got references from several people on them and all were good. (Did not get the references from the Air Taxi, I found previous hunters from intensive research). I am budgeting $5K. If I have to pull out my credit card for some reason, I have no problem doing that. But like I said, I’m pretty sure I can do it for 5k.

If I go over then I’ll have a credit card payment for a little while... quite ok with me. Only time will tell.

(Keep in mind, that cost is not including gear, food, etc)

I bought all the gear you'd likely need for my trip and don't live to far from you. Don't forget to hit me up before buying for your trip, and if I'm not using it you are welcome. We don't all need to own everything!