Tent stakes for 8 man tipi on hunt with Papa Bear

mcseal2

WKR
Yet another question for anyone who has been on that hunt, or hunted in that area

Is there a need for extra long tent stakes? I have 7 of the Kifaru SST stakes that are 32" long and 30 of the MSR cyclone 10" stakes. I will have two 10'x10' tarps plus the tipi to anchor if we use all of them at once. I wondered if the long ones are worth taking or if the 10" versions will be enough. Planning the first trip to a place to a new environment keeps bringing up more questions! Thanks once again for the help.

For my experiences, the MSR Cyclone stakes are superior to any similar-length straight stake. The twist makes them tough to uproot from any soil type except maybe pure sand or very spongy damp areas. I use them and in decent soil they hold very well. The 32" SST by Kifaru...well...my issue with them is the 32" length which is a LOT of stake to drive in deep. I have some and they have to be driven all the way in to serve as a usable stake. They're meant for snow, sand and tundra...as in wet, mossy, soft (no solid dirt) tundra. I've never yet camped in a spot where a 32" stake would make it past half way. Personally I'd likely leave them unless I had reason to think I'd be camped in a boggy area. Maybe your decision is based on weight of gear and how much stuff you want to haul.

KJH

WKR
My guess is that flying with Papa Bear you will be lakeside in a semi- boggy area with very few if any "real" trees nearby. I would also guess that his camps are sort of pre-planned and you will be on an area high enough to be out of the "bog". I've never hunted with papa bear but in the area he hunts with a tipi and I bring 12" stakes. That has been enough for me even with a few high wind days. I bring a few extra just in case.

I cannot fathom the need for a 32" stake in September north of Bethel.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

After seeing the Kifaru stakes I could make some shorter ones pretty easy. Maybe I'll make a few 18" stakes and take them plus the MSR 10" Cyclones I have to finish it out. I'm probably more worried than I should be from camping on the river I fish. We spend some nights on exposed sandbars in pretty good storms and winds. My free time during hay season and high rain chances are tied pretty closely together. The SST's are great there, only thing I've tried that has never pulled out yet. I like my shelter to stay put.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Well once I figured out I could buy individual stakes instead of just kits from Kifaru I ended up just ordering a few 18" ones. I could make them pretty easy, but time is hard to come by right now and ordering them just makes sense at this time. My Dad is having both knees replaced and haying had a very unusual number of break downs this year, lots to do between now and when I leave. I'll use the SST's on the river with my tarp so it won't be just this trip to justify the cost. Only downside is that I'd been thinking of picking up a Sheep Tarp and while I was paying freight I got that too. I guess that isn't to bad of an impulse buy, they are good quality and it will last and get used.

Thanks everyone for the input.