My DIY Alaskan moose hunt...

That really looks like fun Ed. Great write-up as well. An thanks for sharing the photos - beautiful country.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Always loved that look for moose, i've got a buddy that has a 65"er done up like that and everytime I walk into his house i can't help but stare at it. Congrats on the moose and a well done european mount!

I've also hunted with 40 Mile Air for Moose and they are a great group. I have a buddy who lives in AK and we each took a bull on that trip and had a blast. Can't wait to go again! We hunted in and around some of the scortched area as well. I dont remember what year the fire had gone through. Congrats on your hunt.

S

Salmo-Priest

Great story and hunt! Thanks! Did you do all your work with that Buck knife????

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Great story and hunt! Thanks! Did you do all your work with that Buck knife????

Surprisingly... yes. That buck knife is an inexpensive knife but a very special one. It's a limited edition knife with the Pope and Young Club logo on it. Only a few were given out... It was very sharp and held the edge through the entire butcher job. My return trip is in the works... Ed F

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed the story. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Best of luck the next time out!

Little late for this canoe trip but...Nice story and pictures non the less. Sure looks like a significant amount of gear on the ground with your rent-a-van...? Did you bring those rattling paddles or find them there as well?

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Thanks... I made them and used them to call that bull right in to Bret. They work great for raking and pretending you're a bull. Ed F

Nice Ed, looking forward to some moose hunting this season. That P&Y knife has been on every hunting trip since I got it and I plan to keep it forever, great knife.

Gotta pack list you can copy & paste? I have been trying to get a moose trip together but striking out cuz nobody wants to take a single hunter and none of my hunting buddies can afford it. But I have been steadily working towards collecting all the necessary gear.

Last edited:

stuck

FNG
Great write up. Really enjoy your trips and the pictures and hearing about it. I have learned a lot from your posts. Wife would love to shoot a moose. Thanks again for posting

KINGSNAKE

WKR
European moose mounts are awesome. I will have a hard time deciding on what to do with my first moose. European mount or shoulder. I love the long nose bones and how the antlers run straight out on moose.

Very cool story. I just registered on the forum and searched DIY hunts.

Is there any way you could break down a rough budget for the trip? I'm years away from making it happen, but it would be nice to see what to shoot for.