2017 DIY Alaska moose hunt

OP
H
No worries, I actually just got some info and booked with Aniak air guides, I'll let you know how it goes next year. Feels good to finally make a decision after talking to over 30 companies and a half dozen biologist for the past 6 months! If anyone sees this post and has hunted with Aniak air guide, give me a shout

Droptine

FNG
I'm looking at doing the same type hunt but can't find anyone to go with me. Had a guy but he isn't ready to send money. Been wanting to do a moose hunt for years.

OP
H
Good luck droptine. I finally choose an outfitter and just booked for 2017. Can't wait to get back

GKPrice

Banned
Buying the necessary gear for diy hunts isn't cheap, but often guys have most of it in their garages anyway. It was a no-brainer for me as I knew I was going to keep hunting with it for years. I'm one of those guys who just has to go diy even if other options exist. That's me and I know a lot of guys aren't that way. If not then absolutely go guided or outfitted and dropped. My first year I had almost nothing to go on: no scouting and no knowledge of the terrain we were headed to. Got into a big bull the first day and almost killed him. Had multiple opportunities the next 8 days but ended up with no moose due to my own decisions. That's hunting...I'm good with it. It really doesn't matter to me what makes a guy happy...just go hunt and have fun.

I'll be there in 6 weeks to pull a 14 day solo hunt out of Fairbanks. I am pretty cranked up...new location which has not been previously hunted and is absent of any man sign. The bulls are there waiting. So am I....impatiently.

Kevin - I like where your head's at ... you learn a bit more each trip, the "what to have and what's not really needed" part - be cautious when you hear that "this area's never been hunted before" or "absent of human signs" stories you get told - my first AK diy float I was told very similar things, I was pretty surprised when I saw bush planes flying overhead about every 15 minutes or so ... did see a lot of moose though, also got dropped right in the middle of a caribou migration and all 3 of us killed pretty good ones but then comes the "other" concern, meat care ...... and don't have just "any" butcher take care of your meat in town, AND don't pay for meat care by the lb as you "might" get meat you yourself might discard tossed in to boost the gross weight charges (nice surprise when you get home and go to thaw and cook some, the dog ran outside ...)

Kevin - I like where your head's at ... you learn a bit more each trip, the "what to have and what's not really needed" part - be cautious when you hear that "this area's never been hunted before" or "absent of human signs" stories you get told - my first AK diy float I was told very similar things, I was pretty surprised when I saw bush planes flying overhead about every 15 minutes or so ... did see a lot of moose though, also got dropped right in the middle of a caribou migration and all 3 of us killed pretty good ones but then comes the "other" concern, meat care ...... and don't have just "any" butcher take care of your meat in town, AND don't pay for meat care by the lb as you "might" get meat you yourself might discard tossed in to boost the gross weight charges (nice surprise when you get home and go to thaw and cook some, the dog ran outside ...)

Well of course you would have no way of knowing this, but I have hunted the region I'm headed into and I'm aware of what it offers for moose. The exact location...valley...is just one that nobody has ever accessed. Not enough water for any boat. Too far to hike. No trails or land access. It's just in one of those places only aircraft can make it to, and this is the first time one will be able to land in there. It holds moose. Years of fly-overs proved that. I'm using the same pilot (a friend) I've known for years. My camp will be hidden in trees and nobody will find me....total solitude.

Thanks for the tips on meat handling. I've done quite a number of caribou and moose hunts with decent success over the years, so I'm no stranger to that aspect. I've got a pretty good plan in place to be sure I bring home my meat...excellent meat...assuming my longbow gets the opportunity. ;)

Droptine

FNG
I was hoping to to start around the 16th but found a cancellation spot and that was the dates. It lines up pretty well with my work schedule so got 13 months of waiting, and saving money of course.......

Would sept 13-22 be good dates or is this a little early?

Good timing depends on where you're hunting. Those dates should be excellent for central and northern areas. Not sure about the south and probably a bit early for the extreme south or southeast. Regardless...moose don't just get killed in the rut. Plan to hunt hard and have a plan to hunt right up to the point of leaving camp. I can't tell you how many moose we've seen in the final 36 hours of a hunt. Two years ago we had a 60+ walk right up to our tent just after dark. We were on one side of the tent and he was staring at us from the other. One of the few times I've been worried about a big bull acting ornery. The next morning we packed our camp and departed.

Last edited:

Droptine

FNG
Be going out of bethel, thanks for the info. Now time to start shopping for gear, everything I have is whitetail driven.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Did my first moose hunt on the cheap last year, and now I'm totally hooked. We went in an any bull area and shot a smaller bull (42in). Looking at a few outfitters this year for a fly in drop hunt. I think I have it narrowed down to two choices, Wade Renfro of Renfro outdoors, or another outfitter called Aniak air guides. Anyone have info on the latter? I was able to find a ton of good info on Renfroes, but can't find much on Aniak air guides.
So jealous, wish I could do a diy moose Hunt. Love it mate

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Droptine

FNG
I'm pumped about going next year. I did see where Renfros had another plane crash.... 2 planes involved and 5 dead. Probably won't tell the wife that story.