Flying home with moose euro mount

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
Heading up to Alaska for a moose hunt next week. At first I was planning on splitting the antlers and bringing them home on the plane that way. Now I'm thinking I want to do a euro mount. Has anybody flown home with a skull and antlers like that? If I wrap it up good can I check it as oversized baggage?

Of course this is all dependant on getting a moose.

I think it kind of depends on whether or not you're flying all the way back home using the same airlines. I sent a relative home to Pennsylvania once, with a caribou rack. He was flying from Anchorage to Chicago on Alaska airlines which was all good and well, but then he was changing airlines to travel from Chicago to Pittsburgh and that airlines would not except the antlers so he had to leave them here in Anchorage. Best just to check with the airlines that you will be traveling with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be flying Alaska Air and only going to Seattle so I hope that makes it easier.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I split the skull and boxed them in with cloths and sleeping bag and they would not let me take them on the plane in Dillingham. You will have to mail them or ship them. I mailed them to Pa and checked the cape as luggage in a fish box. Had my meat in those boxes also. Good luck.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to fly back from Fairbanks with a split caribou rack by smuggling it in a large duffle bag wrapped with cloths. The cape was my carry on and the meat checked baggage.

I'll be flying Alaska Air and only going to Seattle so I hope that makes it easier.

You shouldn't have a problem then unless something has changed in the last few years. I would still call AA and double check with them. I know the last time I flew with antlers all I had to do was wrap the tips and skullcap up with cardboard and duct tape really well and it was good to go, but that was quite a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solitude

WKR
Alaska Airlines has rules posted on line regarding the maximum allowable rack size. Over the phone they hold to the rules. Not sure if they will bend them at the airport, but too risky for me.

Best advise I received from a fellow seasoned hunter is ship them back Air Cargo through Alaska Airlines. Set up an account ahead of time. He does it all the time and it talking with the AA air cargo it seemed pretty darn easy.