Successful first Alaska moose hunt

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
After having a little time to reflect on the hunt of a lifetime, I have decided to add a few more details about how we went about our hunt. I will touch on what went into our planning, how we educated ourselves on an area and an animal we had never hunted, some of the gear we used, and what we would do different if we had to do it again. I am by no means an expert, there are a ton of guys on here that have killed a ton of moose and know waaaayyyy more than I ever will. I just figured some people could relate to this info, because I assume most people reading this are in the same shoes I was in last year.
PICKING AREA (AIR TAXI)
One of the questions I got asked the most is, how did we pick our area? Well we didn’t. We decided first that we wanted to do a unguided, public land, diy hunt. So we where basically looking for an air taxi to drop us off. I believe on the Alaska Wildlife website you can find a list of transporters or air taxis. We picked ours based on price and reviews. Did a lot of reading reviews on different forums and finally made our choice. Each transporter we talked to booked a little different. Some were booked up for a few years and some only booked one year in advance on a first come first serve basis. The one we decided on only booked one year in advance but for the first two weeks they booked to repeat customers only. If there was any spots left, which I was told was rare, then they opened it to new customers on a first come first serve basis. They also had designated spots that they dropped hunters off in, so that there was not any other hunters in the area we where hunting in. I guess there is also an agreement among all the air taxis on who will service which area, for the same reason of not dropping hunters in on one another. That does not mean a private individual will not fly in there. When we called to try to book there was one spot left. At first we were excited but that faded when we found out why it was available. There had not been a single moose killed in this area in the last 8 years. We decided to go for it and if nothing else it would be a cool adventure, and we would be repeat customers the next year and get a better hunting location. We would be dropped off on a very large lake with smaller lakes around it.
PLANNING AND COST
1. Tags and license. The cost for an OTC moose tag in Alaska for a non resident is $400, that cost is doubling for 2017. Then we had to buy a hunting and fishing license. I added a wolf tag and I believe it was a total of around $100. So total for tags and license was $500
2. Airfare. We signed up for Alaska Airlines credit card. They give you a 25,000 mile sign up bonus, plus your first checked bag is free. We spent a little money on the card and by the time we booked the flight to and from Fairbanks from Kansas City Mo, it was free. There is like a $30 fee that you cant pay for in miles. I also had an extra bag so $25 each way. So $80. Parking was $70.
So the total at the airport was close to $150. I used a SKB golf club case, put my gun in a soft case and put it in the golf club case. I then was able to pack other items in the case around it. I kept it right at 50lbs. Anything over that gets charged extra. I then put my remaining items in my Kuiu 7200 with plenty of room to spare. At the last minute I decided to bring a carry on with some of my very important items that I thought would be hard to replace in Alaska if they got lost. So I put my optics, rain gear, gps…… whatever is most important to you.
3. Transportation. We used priceline for vehicle rental and motels. We were able book a F150 4x4 from Alamo at the airport for 9 days for $435. We used it to drive from Fairbanks to the air taxi airport.
4. Motels. The average cost for the motels was $80 per night. We had only planned on 2 nights in a motel but since we tagged out early we stayed 2 more night because we could not get our return flight changed.
5. Satellite phone rental. This is a must if you are getting dropped off by a bush plane and I would recommend if for anyone hunting in Alaska because cell service is almost none. We used Fairbanks Sat Phone Rental. I believe his name is Justin. Very nice, will meet you at your motel to drop off and pick up phone. For 8 days and around 40 minutes cost us $150
6. Getting meat home. The cheapest way we found if you wanted to get the entire moose home was Alaska Express Trucking. His name is Charlie and he drives a refer truck across Alaska at the end of the season. He will haul back the entire moose. Rack unsplit, cape, and all the meat for $750. His truck is at zero degrees, so it is rock hard when you get it.
7. Storing meat. We checked around for a place to store the meat so that the truck could come by and pick it up. If you plan on using the truck I would suggest calling him and seeing where to store your meat near your hunting location. Our storage cost us $150 each
8. Processing. We decided to have our meat processed once we got back. If I could do it over I would of probably tried to have it done in Alaska so that the meat didn’t have to be frozen twice. I think the quality is better if you can cool it process it then freeze it. In our case it was cooled, frozen. Then the processer thaws it, processes it, then freezes it again. I havnt got it back yet, but estimating around $250.
9. Taxidermy. I got pretty luck here. I live in the Midwest so the taxidermist I use has never done a moose before. He is the very best around on whitetail, or pretty much anything he mounts for that matter. He was really wanting to mount a moose so he cut me a good deal. $1200. If you plan on having one mounted I would highly recommend learning how to cape out the face. Bring a havalon for sure and watch some videos. If you don’t cape out the face the antlers, skull, and cape will all be one. Which my guess would be over 200lbs. They pilot might not even transport it like that.
10. Gear. Some of our other expenses were gear, but I really don’t feel I should figure that into the cost of the hunt. I had a lot of it already from multiple backcountry elk hunts. I will talk about some of the gear in a later part.
11. Air taxi. The air taxi was $800 per trip. That means $800 to fly ya in. $800 to pick ya up, and $800 for each moose. It was a Cessna 185 so we had a total payload of 700lbs. So we could split the cost of the fly in and fly outs since we could fly both of us at same time. On other hunts were you have to use a piper cub that is not possible, you can only fly 1 person at a time and 50lb max of gear.

GETTING INTO SHAPE

At the time we booked I was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. Im 6’1” and weighed 210lbs. Since our total payload was 700lb, it gave me a reason to lose some weight, let alone just getting into shape for possibly the hunt of a lifetime. The single biggest thing for me was I was drinking around 5-6 Mt Dews a day. Yeah I know. I quit drinking soda completely and started running a 5k 2-3 times a week. The scale was literally going down every single day. I contribute that mostly to giving up soda, although im sure the running obviously helped. When I quit drinking soda my cravings for junk food pretty much disappeared with it. When we left I weighed 170lbs. So I lost 40lbs in less than 4 months then maintained that weight. We were hunting around 2500 ft so for the first time ever my legs would get tired before I ran out of breath, unlike 10500 elk hunting Colorado.

Educating ourselves

Neither of us had ever hunted moose before. We had stumbled upon a few while elk hunting in Colorado but that’s as far as it went. I read a couple books on diy moose hunting in Alaska. It was fairly helpful. I also bought a 4 dvd set that is i believe Gouthros Moose Madness. It has some very valuable info in it. It is very dry and hard to stay focused at some points but it did help. Most of it is just general hunting common sense but it does a pretty good job showing how to call moose. Which is VERY important. Especially in the area we were hunting. It was very flat and no vantage point to glass at all. My partner made several calls to biologist and game wardens. They were a lot more helpful then most I have talked to in the western states. Im sure its because they don’t get near the volume of calls in Alaska as per say Colorado. We studied google earth a ton, ordered several topo maps, and made phone calls to people who had hunted this area in the past. (we requested names and numbers from the transporter) I would say that talking to the biologists and learning to call where the two most important factors that led to our success other than the obvious number one factor which is hunting hard as hell!! Good gear and being in shape is a big factor. We were lucky that both of our moose were close to the lake so the float place could get to it. The fitness part would have been a lot more important had we had to pack two moose very far.

The Hunt

As for the hunt, I think I covered pretty much everything in the original post. If I find later I left out some important details I will post them later.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
The Gear

We tried to go as light weight as we could. And it turned out we did a pretty good job. When we showed up to get on the plane we were over 100lbs under our max payload. The pilot looked at us and said, “where is the rest of your gear?”. We said, we got everything we need!! He said, “You guys sheep hunters?”. I wish!

Anyway it will take forever to go through every piece of gear so I will try to stick to what we thought were the most important ones.
*Disclaimer, I am no A-A-ron on gear. This is just my opinion and im sure there is much better guys to talk to about gear recommendations than some flatlander from Missouri. However I am a gear junkie so I enjoy this shit.

1. Boots. The single most important item you can have imo. We both used Meindls. I used the Perfekt Hunter and my partner used the Alaskan ones. We were both VERY VERY happy with them. We never got to test them under extreme heavy load for a very long distance but we defiantly put them to the test against waterproofness, and they passed with flying colors. They fit my feet extremely well. I even wore them on the flight to and from. Only other footwear I brought was flip flops and my waist waders.
2. Waist waders. Cabelas breathable waist waders and the matching boots.Immediately I was glad I brought them because the float plane could not get close to the bank. I dug em out of my pack and put them on first thing. We only brought one pair and would bring a pair each next time. After that i did not wear them for a day or two, but when I shot my moose and he died in the lake I was damn glad I had them. NOTE: I did not shoot him in the lake, he was 75 or so yards up the bank and ran into the lake and died. NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT!!!! The cabelas waders where good for the money, the boots were comfortable and they kept me dry the entire time cutting up my moose. The fit from the knee up sucks. They are like wearing a hot air balloon they are soo big. I also used them while cutting up my partners moose on dry ground because of the blood and guts. They cleaned up nice. If I had to do again. I would buy some better fitting, more comfortable set, such as Simms, and wear it more often. Then I would leave my rain pants at home. But for less than ½ price, I cant complain too much about the Cabelas ones.
3. Clothing. Pretty much every piece of clothing I had was first lite base layers and kuiu outerwear. My partners was completely Sitka, which was pretty fun getting to compare the two. For the most part they perform the same. We didn’t test our rain gear as much as we had expected, which is a good thing, but I have used my Kuiu Chugach nx plenty and can say it is badass!! Jackets where pretty much the same. Kuiu Guide Dcs and the Sitka Jetstream. For pants I had the Attacks and he had the Timberlines. In the environment we in I give the Timberlines a big win, but those two pants are not really apples to apples either. Overall I would say neither is better than the other, besides maybe the raingear.
4. Packs. We both had kuiu icon pro 7200. Cant give a great review on these because we never carried a very heavy load for very far. For what we used them for they were great! I switched to a 3200 after we got to our location and just used it for a day pack. Any pack would of worked just fine for that.
5. Havalon Piranta . If you don’t have one, get one. They are so awesome, and moose hide is TUFF!! Bring at least 12 blades. 10/10
6. Optics. I used Vortex Viper hds, Vortex diamondback spotter and Leupold Vx3 3.5-14x40 scope. Because everything was so flat and timbered we didn’t use the spotter at all. The binos are awesome. Ive used them for 3 years and they are what I believe is the best $500 binos you can get. The vx3 is crystal clear, held zero and is very lightweight.
7. Tikka T3x lite 300wm. I tried for weeks to get my 7mm mag to shoot the way I wanted it too and could not achieve that goal with the grain of bullet I was using. 3 weeks before we left I ordered the T3x lite and I am very impressed. The action is smooth and the trigger is great for a factory trigger. It shot better groups out of the box than my 7mm did after weeks of trying different loads. It cost $575 and I beat the piss out of it. Would highly recommend for a cheaper gun for a hunt that you know your are gonna be rough on equiptment.
8. Bullets. I used Barnes 180 grn bullets. I was able to recover 2 bullets. They retained 100% of their weight. I will post pics in next post. Very impressed.

If you have any other questions on specific gear we used, just shoot me a pm.

Things to do different next time!

1. Bring a small come-a-long or some sort of block and tackle. Trying to move a moose in water is nearly impossible.
2. Set of waist waders for each person. Like I said before, I would by a comfortable pair of simms and wear them more often. Now this could be different depending on the terrain you are in but in our case, there was lots of water!
3. Game bags. I bought a set of Alaska game bags at cabelas and didn’t really bother to open them and see. There was only 4 very large bags. I deboned moose in 4 bags is VERY VERY heavy. I would get the Tag Bomb bags. Probably 2 sets of them. Or 12 small bags. The pilots wants to keep each bag under 50lbs because he unloads it back at the airport to hang in the cooler while you are still hunting. If you buy 12 of the big Alaska bags you are not using most of the bag. Buy several small bags. This could be different in some areas because not all areas allow you to debone.
4. For me, next time I will bring a bigger gun. I know you can kill a moose with a much smaller gun than what I used. Hell, they kill em with recurves. But after having one make it to the water, I want something bigger in hopes to blow his shoulder out and drop him. I shot mine 4 times and any of the 4 would of killed him but they are just so tuff they run and in the area we were in there is water almost every direction. I know it is not necessary but it is just something I would personally do. Plus it sounds like a good enough reason for me to buy a big ass gun!!

In Conclusion
In the end everything went pretty much as planned. We could not of written the script much better. Other than mine dying in the lake. It was the trip of a lifetime. Something we will never forget and will be damn hard to top. Two 60” bulls on a diy public land hunt. People have asked me if I plan on going back. Well not any time soon, for moose at least.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Great post. Thanks for sharing. My buddy and I have been kicking around an Alaskan moose or blacktail hunt and this only fuels the fire.

Jaker_cc

WKR
So you didn't have to draw the tag? I didn't know you could just fly up buy tags and licenses like that. I'm going to have to pm you here pretty soon to get some specifics, this is my dream hunt and I want to make it happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJV3

FNG
Congrats on all your success. We are planning the same or similar trip and it sounds like the same air taxi service. Do you mind if I ask what tent and cook stove you guys used? I read on their website that the little gas canisters are not allowed on their planes anymore due to faa regulations.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
So you didn't have to draw the tag? I didn't know you could just fly up buy tags and licenses like that. I'm going to have to pm you here pretty soon to get some specifics, this is my dream hunt and I want to make it happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaker_cc, the Alaska big game hunting regs are broken out by Game Management Unit. Most GMUs are broken into smaller sub-units. The regs for each GMU have a table of big game hunts available in that unit. One column of the table describes the residency requirement (Resident, Non-resident, Both). Another describes the permit required. The hunts described as "HT" are harvest ticket hunts, those are the ones you can do over the counter. As a non-res, you'll need a hunting license, a harvest ticket and a big game locking tag for your animal (this is the $400 tag that's doubling next year).

Alaska Hunting Regulations, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

The hunts with a "D(letter)(number)" in the permit column are the draw hunts. Those have to be applied for between Nov. 1 and Dec. 15 in the previous year.

I moved up here a little over a year ago and our hunting and fishing regs can be completely overwhelming without somebody to walk you through them.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Congrats on all your success. We are planning the same or similar trip and it sounds like the same air taxi service. Do you mind if I ask what tent and cook stove you guys used? I read on their website that the little gas canisters are not allowed on their planes anymore due to faa regulations.

No you cant fly with fuel canisters. We used white gas.

We used a big agnes copper spur and a msr whisperlite international stove. If you are interested in buying a stove i have the whole setup id sell ya for a good price.

Id look into the seek outside cimarron. That's probably what i will take if i ever go again.

Droptine

FNG
Nice write up, I'm gonna get me a Alaskan airlines card. That was a big savings!