What knives or other tools do you use on moose in the field?

mcseal2

WKR
I'm going to Alaska in 2018 with Papa Bear on a moose hunt. I have quartered and processed a few elk and a lot of deer but never anything as large as a moose. It looks like the quarters and ribs must come out whole and cannot be boned out. I am curious if those who have processed moose use a larger knife or just the Havalon or Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives? Also do you use a Wyoming saw or similar model? I have a couple people wanting to know what I want for Christmas and I thought upgrading cutlery is always a good idea. Thanks for your help.

Daniel_M

WKR
Cutco Drop Point, serrated edge. Hands down the best blade for breaking down a moose in my opinion. A small folding saw is good if you have to take the ribs out on the bone as well as cutting the antlers from the skull, better than a Wyoming style with a frame hoop that gets hung up. I also pack a meat hook and thermometer.

Drop Point Hunting Knife | Sporting Knives by Cutco

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Elk are just big deer when it comes to processing and moose are just a little bit bigger. Never broken down a moose in the field but have done 50 or so elk and I use the same tools/knives that I use on whitetails.

Knife wise, whatever your used to using on your elk will work. For skinning, I started using a Ulu about 6 years ago and it works better than anything else I've ever used. I also take a Wyoming saw for bone work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Havalon will work... I've done it more than once... but they are fundamentally a little undergunned for moose. I've also lost blades a couple times, and broken one while doing the initial cuts through the thick hide on the back. Not my choice anymore for that task.

For gutting, I like a something along the lines of a 3.5" with a drop point. You end up swimming in moose guts up to your armpits, and anything too big or pointy gets to be a liability trying to detach the guts along the back. If you are going gutless style, then a moderate 4" blade works a little better for skinning and taking off the quarters I think. Nothing really special required, but it helps if the steel is good enough that you don't have to stop and sharpen.

Sharp hatchet/axe works well on ribs. However, a short (toolbox size) carpentry saw is handy for capping skulls and removing legs and will do ribs and brisket also. They are also light, cheap and fit nicely along the frame of a pack. I've used a Wyoming Saw quite a bit, but they are less than ideal for skulls, briskets, etc. Too short and the bow gets in the way.

Yk

Stid2677

WKR
Make sure to pack some heavy duty cotton bags for the rib slabs, the bones are very sharp and will shred synthetic bags. I like a utility knife with a roofing blade for cutting the hide. Makes cape cuts nice and straight and does not cut into the guts. A meat hooks is nice, but you can get by without it, does protect you from your buddy when trying to hold onto a slippery legs.

Cut resistant gloves are a necessity to me, they have saved me numerous cuts and pokes.

IMGP3217.jpg

Small come-a-long is always a good bet. Use to hold up a leg, or pull one from the drink.

IMGP0344.jpg

Small tarp to flip it onto.

IMGP0345.jpg

More bags than you think you need and tarps to keep it dry.

IMGP0348-1.jpg

Make sure to leave proof of sex on one quarter.

P9060511_zpsee991c22.jpg

As mentioned a thermometer helps keep eye on core temp.

P9060508_zps447a3dac.jpg

I like to hang by the water to help with cooling and remove bags at night to get a good crust. Just make sure to be up early and rebag or the bugs and birds will get to it.

P9060509_zps8c0e52fd.jpg

tater

WKR
Knife wise, whatever your used to using on your elk will work. For skinning, I started using a Ulu about 6 years ago and it works better than anything else I've ever used. I also take a Wyoming saw for bone work.

I second the Ulu. I started using one years ago, and while i don't pack one for elk or mulies, it is a staple in my moose kit. Easy to skin with and easy to maintain in the field. I also have a selection of various carabiners and mountaineering pulleys with 100' of paracord for helping to shift quarters.

I've seen everything from chainsaws running olive oil for bar lube to various handsaws and hatchets used for the bone work. The slickest i saw was a scandinavian made handsaw that the owner said was used by arborists. Had about a 16" blade on it, and just whipped through vertebrae and pelvic bones like anything.

jm1607

WKR
Make sure to pack some heavy duty cotton bags for the rib slabs, the bones are very sharp and will shred synthetic bags. I like a utility knife with a roofing blade for cutting the hide. Makes cape cuts nice and straight and does not cut into the guts. A meat hooks is nice, but you can get by without it, does protect you from your buddy when trying to hold onto a slippery legs.

Cut resistant gloves are a necessity to me, they have saved me numerous cuts and pokes.

IMGP3217.jpg

Small come-a-long is always a good bet. Use to hold up a leg, or pull one from the drink.

IMGP0344.jpg

Small tarp to flip it onto.

IMGP0345.jpg

More bags than you think you need and tarps to keep it dry.

IMGP0348-1.jpg

Make sure to leave proof of sex on one quarter.

P9060511_zpsee991c22.jpg

As mentioned a thermometer helps keep eye on core temp.

P9060508_zps447a3dac.jpg

I like to hang by the water to help with cooling and remove bags at night to get a good crust. Just make sure to be up early and rebag or the bugs and birds will get to it.

P9060509_zps8c0e52fd.jpg

What knife is the one with the orange handle and serrated blade?

Cutco double d edge hunter. Love mine. It will field process several elk and deer before needing a touch up.

bowuntr

WKR
Any of those knives mentioned, a tarp, come a long/pulley system, 8 or more game bags, rope/cord and a saw... Ed F

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've really grown to like this Game skinner tool for skinning and separating quarters - it can do it all. That skinner and my old Wyoming pac saw is all I need to break down a moose. Others have discussed the importance of game bags (8), a tarp, p-cord, etc. I also like these gloves as they are thin enough for dexterity, but thick enough not to tear like those cheapo disposable nitrile gloves that tear within minutes. I wash mine out and reuse them. I generally put my rain pants on when butchering a moose to keep clean.

Game Skinner | Outdoor Edge Cutlery – Knives & Tools | Outdoor Edge Cutlery
Majestic 3237 | $2.99 | Superdex Pro Plus Gloves

Ray

WKR
I will second the Superdex gloves for all around use outdoors. They are more comfortable than the chilly grippers and fit my hands better. aIH also has them with a fleece liner for later in the season.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone, looks like tools I already have will work fine.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Any knife with a 3.5 -5 inch thin blade in a drop point style will work well. I like my Uncle Henry 2 bladed folder with 3.5" blades...one is a skinner the other a thin boner. Can do the whole moose with this little knife. A folding bone saw is also handy. I use to use a hatchet but find the saw better.

I can and have done bulls from start to completion with just one Cutco DD drop point. No stopping to sharpen. Any other cutting tool after that knife is just optional. I don't remove ribs...I debone on the carcass. I take all joints apart with the knife, so no saw or axe needed. I generally have a straight blade knife along just in case however.

Latex-dipped Kevlar gloves are essential. Citric acid. Meat bags. A good pulley/rope system goes with me. That's all I need.

I live in Alaska and hunt moose almost every year. Havalon and 4 bladesis all it takes. Any quality packable meat saw gets the job done. Don't get caught up in the meat saw as only the ribs need to be cut. The rest can be quartered with the Havalon. Keep it simple, it's always best.
Mark

hodgeman

WKR
I've done several moose and a bunch of caribou with a havalon (although I switched to Gerber's version of handle recently) and the small Wyoming saw.
Nothing else required except good technique.

A small pulley or come-a-long and some small gauge rope would be a good thing to have along if you can manage. A meat hook could be handy but I've never carried one. Doing it over, I might go for the larger saw for zipping through wood in camp, but I've never felt under gunned with the small saw on a critter.

Be sure to check unit regulations- the unit I hunt has regulations that ribs and quarters have to come out on bone- so deboing isn't allowed except for the neck.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
For me personally the Cutco DD serrated drop point is the bomb. I've been cutting up moose since the mid-1970's and have NEVER used a knife that works as well on a moose. I've also taken three Roosevelt elk apart on Afognak Island and based on that admittedly limited experience a 6-point Roosevelt elk herd bull's hide is about half as thick as a bull moose. Bull moose hide (just the skin) is a full 1/2" thick. Nothing on an elk is as thick or as tough. What works on an elk might not work very well on an Alaska/Yukon bull moose.

I own a couple of Havalon razor blade knives and they might be the schnizzle for thin-skinned game but I have found them next to worthless on moose.

X2 on Steve's and Kevin's posts about the absolute necessity for other gear including good meat bags, tarps, and block/tackle.