Kifaru bag selection for moose

geriggs

WKR
Want a load shelf. Was thinking cargo panel, woodsman, or rambler. Your thoughts are appreciated thanks

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping to see more response on this thread. I haven't packed a moose in my Kifaru yet (Black Friday deal) and have been going round and round whether to just take my Barney's or try something on the Kifaru. I bought the Kifaru more as a sheep pack than anything but if I can find a good moose setup I would likely sell my Barney or keep it as a spare/guest pack.

The new cargo net looks like it could be the cat's pajamas for meat mode. Someone one should buy one field test it with more than just elk sheds :D

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Thanks , I have seen that thread. I'm now thinking reckoning or cargo panel

First off, I don't own a Kifaru pack these days but I do have some general thoughts regarding your questions. I had the wrong pack(s) for moose hunting and meat packing for years. I had modular systems. I had all-in-one packs. I had a Barney's Freighter Frame. They all worked but were a compromise in terms of use for everyday hunting (day pack) and then heavy meat packing. My favorite moose hunting pack isn't a Kifaru so no logic going into what I use. The ideal concept for me is a pack which serves as a great day pack but can handle 120 pound loads if necessary and not be a compromise. I like a main bag capacity of 2500 to 3500, and I want it to have instant easy access...meaning I really dislike a combo of flap lids, straps & buckles and/or zippers. Give me simple and quick access. I need a frame that is super strong, light and not over-sized. I want some load lift, but packs with lifters projecting 3 or 4 inches above the shoulder are just excessive for my needs.

The main thing I want is a pack that features a detachable bag and integrated meat shelf. Having used that system I found it to provide the absolute greatest comfort, load control and least bloody/messy packing. A moose is of course a many-load job. I just did an entire AK bull by myself so I know whereof I speak. I slip my loaded meat bag into a blood-proof bag and then load that onto the meat shelf. I did 10 loads of meat followed by the bloody skull/antlers and ended up with about 3 little droplets of blood on the outside of my pack. My main bag stayed dry and clean. I have personally never been as happy packing meat...lot of it...as I was with my pack and that system.

Since you're a Kifaru guy, maybe you can use this to help you decide which pack is best. I think the key notes are 1) less pack bag, 2) excellent frame you can love, 3) detachable/drop-away bag with integral meat shelf...or maybe a cargo panel. For me, the cargo panel is an unneeded piece and probably less handy than what I'm doing at this time.

bbrown

WKR
I'm planning on using my nomad and a grab-it when I head up next fall. The nomad is a good balance small enough "bag" for day hunts but set up great for heavy hauling. Had the cargo panel originally with the moose hunt in mind - it works perfectly for hauling but all the straps and extra pockets for day hunt gear got old real fast.

Had the cargo panel originally with the moose hunt in mind - it works perfectly for hauling but all the straps and extra pockets for day hunt gear got old real fast.

My sentiments too. I've been doing ultralight backcountry moose hunts for years and just can't deal with unnecessary weight or extra hassle. I once bought a Kifaru Gen II frame and then equipped it with a variety of modular bags and pouches. I recall how impressed I was with all the possible variations and ability to add/delete/keep gear organized, etc....at home. Out on the hunt it was just a goofy hassle for me. I was always messing with straps, buckles, and you name it. I learned (again) that for me the simplest pack which does what I want is often the very best choice. By the way, this is no ding on Kifaru's packs. I'm just saying the system I went with was not worth a damn for how I like to hunt moose...my fault.

The pack I use now has a very clean exterior, top and full zip access, slim shape (excellent for stalking thru brush), and no plethora of straps going places. It feels like I'm carrying a solid day pack when hunting. Moose hunts...especially if successful...will test your pack selection like nothing else.

P9220386.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
I love me some Kifaru,, but when moose is on the menu, a frame pack is really hard to beat, especially true when hunting must remain on the bone areas. Rear quarters would be hard to squeeze into any bag. If hunting where you can debone, I would choose a center zip for ease of loading. The rears are so long they tend to lean over if not using a frame and that makes packing miserable.

Kifaru duplex with a front that has the leg folded, you can see even the fronts were too large for the pack.

IMGP0475.jpg

This way sucks more.

IMGP0473-1.jpg

Jimss

WKR
I use an EMRII bag on a duplex frame. It's about the biggest bag available from Kifaru with lots of additional pouches and pockets for smaller gear you can access fairly quick. I've used it on quite a few sheep, mtn goat, and elk hunts where I know I'll have lots of bulk (capes, meat, camp, etc). I've amazed myself on how much stuff I can load in it....and still stand upright! The largest, boned, hindquarter of an elk easily fits inside the bag. One nice thing about having meat inside a bag is it is secure and doesn't catch on brush (willows in moose country). Also, it is super stable when cinched down. Many framed packs have a gap between your back and the load which can be dangerous if the load shifts when on sidehills or crossing down logs/rock/etc. Also, having a load tight against your back prevents a lot of twisting of torquing of weight on your lower back and shoulders.

If I was going to buy one frame for hauling hefty loads I'd likely get the longest pack frame that Kifaru offers. That way the load lifters are put to best use and you have a longer platform for more bulk. I wouldn't even consider a meat frame that doesn't have some sort of load lifters...they work that well! One thing you will likely notice when you first put on a Kifaru frame is how comfortable they are. You can't say that same thing about other frames! Take a look at Kifaru frame reviews and you likely won't find any complaints...and mostly rave reviews!

Doc89

WKR
Jimss, I couldn't agree more! Can't go wrong with that!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I use an EMRII bag on a duplex frame. It's about the biggest bag available from Kifaru with lots of additional pouches and pockets for smaller gear you can access fairly quick. I've used it on quite a few sheep, mtn goat, and elk hunts where I know I'll have lots of bulk (capes, meat, camp, etc). I've amazed myself on how much stuff I can load in it....and still stand upright! The largest, boned, hindquarter of an elk easily fits inside the bag. One nice thing about having meat inside a bag is it is secure and doesn't catch on brush (willows in moose country). Also, it is super stable when cinched down. Many framed packs have a gap between your back and the load which can be dangerous if the load shifts when on sidehills or crossing down logs/rock/etc. Also, having a load tight against your back prevents a lot of twisting of torquing of weight on your lower back and shoulders.

If I was going to buy one frame for hauling hefty loads I'd likely get the longest pack frame that Kifaru offers. That way the load lifters are put to best use and you have a longer platform for more bulk. I wouldn't even consider a meat frame that doesn't have some sort of load lifters...they work that well! One thing you will likely notice when you first put on a Kifaru frame is how comfortable they are. You can't say that same thing about other frames! Take a look at Kifaru frame reviews and you likely won't find any complaints...and mostly rave reviews!

I still believe a frame pack is the best choice for moose, but I do agree with the above. I have this combo and have used it for several seasons.

Regardless of what pack you choose,, packing moose SUCKS. :)

Steve

cnelk

WKR
Here is 525lbs of hanging moose meat. Fronts, ribs, Hind quarters, neck meat. Everything. Bone in required.

Pack distance was 1/4 mile thru black spruce, willows and bog, wearing hip boots.
It sucked!

The guy I was hunting with had a couple old POS pack frames - they SUCKED - hip belts were broke, no load lifters.
I would HIGHLY recommend a good rugged frame pack.
I even split the hind quarters to make it more manageable
Front quarters weighed 85lbs each

After 7hrs of packing this meat, I was missing my Kelty Cache Hauler in a big way.

I would much rather pack an elk thru deadfall for 2 miles than a moose thru swamp for a 1/4 mile

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
cnelk, which direction did you split the rear quarters and how did you do it? I was not aware you could split them. thanks.

Doc89

WKR
I could barley get a bone in hind quarter off my elk inside my Mountain Warrior bag this last fall. I'm guessing a moose leg might not fit but no experience. We're planning a trip for 2018/2019 and I have been thinking about this as well, so far my plan is to pick up a nomad and use that but will be watching for other ideas.
The rears on a bull moose fit in the bag of the AMR, it wasn't fun getting them in the bag however. Would rather have used a cargo panel or the Nomad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
cnelk, which direction did you split the rear quarters and how did you do it? I was not aware you could split them. thanks.

Look at your kitchen table.
Think about how you would cut it to somehow pack it thru the woods. :)

Seriously, I just cut the rear quarter in a more manageable size - crosscut.
No exact science, especially when keeping a lookout for grizzly bears

RedRidge

WKR
A little behind on this thread but Mr. Dill could you post a picture of your ideal setup or what you prefer. I like your concept, but I am more of a picture guy. I have a moose hunt lined up for 2018 and would love to see this.

Per request. This is the system I used on my solo hunt last September. The pack is a Mystery Ranch Pintler. The brown bag is a custom tapered meat carry bag made for me by Jimmy Tarps. The pack simply unclips and opens up for placement of the meat bag. Clip the buckles and snug everything up...ready for packing.

Keep in mind the Pintler isn't a very big pack...something in the mind 2000 range. It carries more than enough gear for an all-day hunt, and easily manages heavy loads when it's time to grunt out a big bull.