Going to British Columbia to chase moose 2017

270quest

WKR
Been lurking on this wonderful site for a while, and finally thought I would finally join and start contributing the forum. I was fortunate to come into a little extra money at the end of the year and decided it be best spent on a moose hunt. I have booked a 10 day 1x1 hunt with Gunson Outfitters in Far northern BC near the Yukon border. Will also have a wolf tag in my pocket, I am so excited and cant wait. The hunt is Sept 15-24. I am driving up from Idaho to ensure I can get all the meat back and see some country along the way. Will be 2 days driving on both ends of the hunt. I will take a freezer in the back of my truck with my Honda Generator to bring the meat back with.

Apparently this hunt area is an extremely remote area that only a few miles from the drainage were the World Record Canadian moose was killed years ago. Even with horses, this is going to be the most physical and intense hunt of my life... (And that includes a lot of elk hunting in Idaho's Church)

Any feedback, experience, stories, suggestion would be awesome to hear. This is the biggest most expensive hunt I have done so I am all ears. I will be dropping 30 pounds to get down to 190 mark. I have already started my dieting and extreme workout regime as I would like to be 190 by May for Bear season here in Idaho and then use all summer to build as much strength and stamina as possible while weighing 190.

Lastly, because this is a horseback hunt, I am limited to 50 pounds of gear including my rifle. Below is the list the outfitter sent on items to bring and next to it what I plan to bring. There are some items I am not sure on so feedback on those would be great!

Rifle - Custom Winchester 70 Classic 338 win mag, Zeiss HD5 2-10X42
Ammo - Handloads - 250gr. Nosler Partitions, 40 rounds
Binoculars - 10x42 Leica Geovid HD
Knife - Cabelas Fixed Blade Alaskan Guide, and Havalon for caping
GPS - Garmin 650, not required but I always take into the woods
Camera - Iphone
Day Pack - KUIU 3200"
Water Bottle (Purified) - NOT SURE???
Head Lamps - Cabelas
10 degree sleeping bag - Not SURE??? maybe Cabelas XPG 15 degree??
Sleeping Pad - klymit static v - insulated
Rain Gear - KUIU Teton, Pants/Jacket
Boots - Meindel Denali
Socks - Merino Wool
Clothes - KUIU Teton Full Layering System, merino wool underwear
Gloves - kuiu merino 210
Game Bags - Caribou Magnum pack

Mosquito Repellent, personal care items, and possibly a lightweight tripod to mount my Leicas on.

tater

WKR
Highly unlikely you will need mosquito repellent that time of year, and a 15 degree bag is on the light side (unless it is a strange weather year you will be averaging freezing temps at night that time of year).
40 rounds of ammo seems excessive (3 to confirm sight in at camp, ten to carry. Say 20 to be safe.).
I would leave the game bags at main camp to transfer your meat for the road, as the odds are good the outfitter runs heavy duty game bags (joys of horse camp and wranglers.)
A guided hunt you want to go by what the outfitter recommends, so don't hesitate to get their feedback and follow it.

Should be a fun hunt. I have taken a few moose out of that general area over the last couple of years. I would bring a 0 degree bag... you might be in a wall tent with stove but they don't burn all night and it can get pretty cold up there at that time of year. You shouldn't need a water filter as a good guide should have that for you if it's even needed at all. I would pack 40 rounds for sure as I have seen a few rifles get banged up by horses rubbing on trees.

I don't have a cell phone so I'm not sure how the picture quality is on those things, but personally I would bring a better camera with spare batteries and a huge memory card. 100% you'll see stone sheep, caribou, and bison on the drive through the Northern Rockies. And a good chance of seeing moose and G. bears on the road as well.

A stop at the hot springs and a meal at the toad river gas station cafe is a must. You always see some big head gear in the back of guys trucks in the parking lot. And bring an old ball cap for the ceiling.

Horses are hard on everything, especially your clothing. Be sure your outerwear and rain gear is tough enough to endure frequent brushes with limbs and stubs. A horse will short-turn every corner in a trail and you'll be fending off branches a lot. I would forego the gps and bring a PLB in case of major mishap. A pair of durable gloves are great for horse riding and camp chores...which you should help with. I personally wouldn't want the tripod as it's one more thing to carry and manage on a horse. I would assume your guide has a spotter and tripod...most do.

If you haven't spent time on a horse, you might want to find someone who can show you the ropes and take you riding a couple times for several hours. Your knees, thighs and butt ARE going to hurt if you ride far and long while hunting. Some guys reach a level of misery that messes up their enjoyment.

Everyone is different but I would bring the best camera and/or camcorder possible if this is one of your major milestone hunts. Photos become better and more important trophies (than antlers) as the years pass. You can't go back and re-take a memory.

I've done a lake-based hunt in northern BC (Cassiars) and a horseback hunt in the Yukon. You're about to see some of the finest and wildest wilderness remaining in North America. Embrace the whole adventure and hunt hard!

wyosteve

WKR
Ditto on what has been said especially not needing mosquito repellent and a tripod. I hunted sheep, moose and caribou in the Yukon in late Sept. and had about 18 in. of snow. Ditto on riding beforehand. Last year's elk hunt was 24 miles in by horse and several of the guys who don't ride said it was torture, but I ride regularly so it was a pleasure.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am thinking I may have to invest a couple hundred dollars and just buy a nice digital camera. Never really been a huge picture guy, but I want to remember this hunt.

I have road horses a bit and also have a close buddy that owns 5-6 that offered to ride with me this summer to get me ready.

The guide also recommended some canvas chaps to prevent tearing and damage to my hunting close on the ride in.

For those who have hunted that area - I realize it is remote rugged wilderness, but for someone who chases Elk in Idaho's Frank Church, I feel I have seen some pretty rugged stuff. Am I going to be for a shock or should it be pretty similar to hunting the wilderness down here? Its moose, so I assuming we aren't scaling mountains everyday looking for them.

wyosteve

WKR
You won't be in for a shock. The Frank Church area is more rugged in my opinion. I've hunted moose in the Yukon, as mentioned, and in northwest B.C. In both places the critters were not high up in the rocks. They were more on the slopes before the rocks or what I would term 'the foothills'.

Good advice so far.

I'd expect the moose around timberline yet at that time of year. Doubt they will be in the sheep country, but more like what elk like......small willows just above and below timberline down into the drainages and around the high lakes. I'd keep the lighter 15 degree bag and look into the Kuiu down pants and puffy. Wear them at night if it turns clear and cold and use them glassing on the open high ridges too. Light, pack small and warm.

Last edited:

goat1958

FNG
Here is my take on a couple things ..Gators for sure, 0 degree bag. Defiantly small digital camera. there are dozens in the 150 to 200 dollar range. no way on 40 rounds . 20 should work and if you run out your guide most likely will have a rifle. I have drove to Toad river many times and you wont do it in two days by your self I assure you, I live in Idaho.Three days at least , your driving close to 2000 miles. The skull has to be brain free .Mad cow disease. They are very picky about that. I have brought meat back from Canada the past three years. If you shoot a wolf { very unlikely } you cannot bring the hide or skull home. You have to hire a person whom { expiditor } that is spendy $... You are going to have a great time as thats a great part of B.C.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I have drove to Toad river many times and you wont do it in two days by your self I assure you, I live in Idaho.Three days at least , your driving close to 2000 miles.

Ill be driving from Boise - map shows two routes - both at 30 hours estimate - up through Northern Idaho, into Alberta, and then back over to Toad River. Route 2 goes up through central washington, through Prince George, and up to Toad River. Which way is better?

Drive up one route and back the other. See the country, ever if one takes a extra hour or three. That is another beauty of driving vs flying. Good luck!

Rackmastr

WKR
I'd personally drive the Northern Idaho/AB route. Puts you into a pretty nice drive through the parks in AB/BC and then straight up the Alaska hwy once you come back in from Alberta. Its the way I'd drive without question.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Can anyone recommend a top notch 0 degree bag that wont break the bank. Obviously needs to be a down bag and mummy style. Since we are on horses, I would imagine it doesn't have to be the lightest one out there, but there is still a weight limit. My budget for a bag is hopefully around $250 - maybe a touch more.

I was looking at possibly pulling the trigger on this one...
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

mcseal2

WKR
I think it's a good list. I haven't been on a hunt like that, but I'm preparing my list for a similar one next year.

I'd look at trying to find a camera, GPS, and headlamp that all use the same batteries. For me it's AA lithium's. I like the Mammut S-lite head lamps because they use a single AA, and have a Nikon camera I'm happy with that uses the same. I like the option to be able to rob batteries from one device if they are needed in another while I'm away from camp. The lithium's are lighter also so I can carry an extra set most times that fit everything.

I have the same binos and absolutely love them. They might be the best money I've ever spent on hunting gear. I have a cheaper Nikon mount that I can strap them on my tripod with and I am amazed at how well they work when kept that steady. The rangefinder is great anyway, but even better from the tripod. I have an Outdoorsmans tripod and recently was informed they make a barrel mount for the binos that is far better than the Nikon one I use, I will likely end up owning one before my next hunt.

You might also consider standing height shooting sticks. They can be used to steady the binos in place of a tripod. They aren't as steady but are dual purpose and can really help to make the shot when it comes time. I may end up just taking them and not a spotter or tripod for my own hunt similar to yours. I like the Stoney Point version personally for this. These work from standing to sitting, the shorter ones are only good to kneeling height.

Primos Pole Cat Tall Bipod Shooting Stick

I certainly second the horse riding. I'll add an unusual tip that some people find very painful. A friend from college who had rode extensively in his youth helped me on the ranch for a few days while we were in college. He had not rode for years and has very hairy legs. The leg hairs on the inside of his legs were pulling out from friction on the saddle. We were riding moving cattle and probably riding faster than what you will do, but he said it hurt like heck. I had never considered it, but looking at my own legs I realized I have no hair on them anywhere my body touches the saddle. I have rode regularly since before I was old enough to have hair on my legs, so I guess it's not surprising. It might be something you find needs dealt with when riding with your buddy.

Personally I'd be hesitant on the down bag if the conditions will be damp. The outfitter will know better on that than me, but I am scared of down in some situations. They have new water resistant stuff out, but the synthetic insulation keeps getting lighter also. I plan to take a Kifaru Slickbag for my hunt with synthetic insulation that's pretty light.

Have a great hunt and let us know how it goes, Good Luck!

Last edited:

Tyewire3

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I are going on the same hunt with Gunson! Even the same dates. Too funny! We are crazy excited as well. Life long dream for both of us. We will be driving up from Oregon. I bet we will get to meet at some point. I have appriciated your post and the great advise from everyone.
Good luck!!

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Awesome! It will be an adventure for sure, only thing I am not looking forward to is the drive...