DIY Moose hunt suggestions

bowuntr

WKR
I looked into this service as well. It doesn't go anywhere near where he's at in Washington and it's more than twice as much as extra baggage or cargo. He doesn't list 2017 prices... I heard it was $1000 for a moose in 2016. It would be convenient if you live near his route and it works with your schedule. My 2 cents. Ed F

Some of my no-cost thoughts on diy moose hunts in AK:

I've been doing them for years and the competition for good moose areas just keeps getting greater. Lower 48 guys are going to have an increasingly hard time finding a hunt that doesn't require a 3-5 year wait. I know a number of hunters who have good spots to hunt and they go every single year, no exception. I'm one of them. You give up a good spot and you may never have another one in your lifetime. I've been to 5 good areas in the state and that makes me either lucky or crazy. The last area I hunted was this past September and it had never been hunted ever. My transporter figured out a way to get in there over the summer and he built a landing strip there. I was the first guy ever in there, and I will tell you I'm staying put now. The bulls are there and they walk past my camp. No signs of human disturbance; no trash; no cut trees...it's superb.

I wish there was a way for diy guys to find a transporter easily and quickly. I wish there was a way they could go hunting with just a year's wait. I also wish there was a way they could know they're heading to a great moose location. It simply doesn't work like that for 90+% of those who ever try it. The hassle, the wait and the unknowns are too great for most guys to risk it. That's what keeps these hunts from being an everyman's deal. If it wasn't the tough deal it is there would be a couple thousand NR moose hunters headed to AK every year to get in on the easy moose hunting.

I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, but I could never go on an outfitted drop-hunt using the outfitter's gear. I know what I like and I know what I can depend on. I would rather buy and own my gear and then be able to go anywhere in future years. The cost savings of going transported-only instead of outfitted and dropped makes it very feasible. The logistics of moving your own gear can be irritating, but it's still far better for me and my very independent mindset. The one-and-done hunters might be better off going outfitted.

I would just soon eat a tag as to kill a moose and face a 3/4+ mile all-uphill pack job x 8-10 loads plus the head. No sirree....I've packed enough moose meat around to know what it's like in relatively flat moose country which is hard enough work. I'm sure this will go absolutely nowhere with a young guy full of fire, determination and a scope full of moose...so be it. We all have to learn somehow. You simply cannot be over-prepared physically for moose packing, unless you don't have one to pack.

Someone needs to write the definitive treatise (and make it a sticky here) on all the ways to get a moose home. I've seen about everything and there is no works-for-everyone deal. That's because some guys can spend and some can't. Some want all the meat and some don't. Some want a cape and some don't. Some live near an airport with an Alaska Air Cargo terminal and some don't. Some can make the extra baggage deal work and others cannot. Some don't want to receive bulk meat...they prefer it to be processed and then shipped. It seems that every hunter and hunting situation has its own particulars. On my 2016 bull I boxed 380 pounds of prime meat (in bulk) in 4 boxes and then froze it. After I got home and situated I had my friend ship the frozen meat via Alaska Air Cargo to an airport where I picked it up. I then took it to my local wild game processor and had them do the thaw, trim, cut and wrap. It worked great and was low stress. I had a Euro done on the skull in Fairbanks and then received it a month ago.

Last edited:

rino

FNG
If I only had a tag...this guy and a few cronies hung out under my tree stand. Called him into 50 yds...kept seeing them off and on
31a573533620517017e4bfdd6cdbb9e8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Kevin Dill has it pegged above.

The good outfitters are booked well ahead and it's difficult to get on their book. I may add that most outfitters prefer known repeat customers as they have all had new customers that weren't prepared to take care of themselves when adverse conditions set in.

Also I might add, if you have the time, drive up!......2-4 guys in a good pickup can have an enjoyable trip in beautiful country.

I may add that most outfitters prefer known repeat customers as they have all had new customers that weren't prepared to take care of themselves when adverse conditions set in.

This is an excellent point! First, any business would rather retain and deal with repeat customers with good histories. Who in their right mind would turn away a proven customer to take on people they know little about? My experience has always been that good repeat customers get first choice and/or preferential service, with new customers following that. The interesting thing in moose hunting (diy style) is how many guys keep coming back and lock up their location for years. Pilots can only find or create and maintain a finite number of airstrips for moose, and it's not like most of them want to have 2 dozen camps of hunters out there at one time. The servicing issues are simply too heavy. A pilot works his butt off when satellite phones are ringing with calls to backhaul multiple dead moose.

Just like you and I at work, pilots don't enjoy stress. The simple fact is that new customers/first-timers bring added stress to a pilot. Questions, uncertainties, need for assistance...it happens. Lots of experience tends to eliminate that. I know my pilot's routine and his preferences. He knows me. We don't spend a lot of time communicating before my hunt. Pilots want to fly. They don't want to worry. Things like tight itineraries, bad weather, warm moose meat, injuries, forgotten items and more...all cause pilots extra hassle and stress. It's part of what they do and most do it with a pilot's face, but that doesn't mean they enjoy all of it. I know they enjoy and prefer hunters who make their job as easy as possible, and I try to always keep that in mind.

OP
BasinBuster
Thanks Huntfun. With the Alaska meat express. I will look into them. As well as have a back up plan. They may fill up before I get there. I would be willing to pick up in Montana if that was my best option.

Bowinter: Your saying that you can take moose antlers as a checked bag if you flesh and bag the skull cap and tape and cap the points? Instead of having too box them? And if it's a big moose you will have to split it due to the 115" rule.

Cnelk: Yes I would like to see a list of what worked for you. I think I watched a YouTube video of your hunt. That's pretty cool. Did you have a refundable ticket? And you said it was expensive to change? How hard was it to change days on your flight? This was with Alaska Airlines?

VernAK: I would enjoy the drive up. I have only driven about half way up BC on a couple other moose hunts there. it would definitely make getting things back easier:) thanks for your help so far.

As far as gear a question I do have is about rain gear. I have first lite stormtight, Sitka down pour , or a Helly Hanson. The only reason I'm asking is the first lite is breathable which is nice. The Sitka and helly hason keeps the water out but has zero breathablity to it. The weight I'm aloud to take is tight enough I need to pick one or the other. I was just wanting to hear your personal experiences

cnelk

WKR
Cnelk: Yes I would like to see a list of what worked for you. I think I watched a YouTube video of your hunt. That's pretty cool. Did you have a refundable ticket? And you said it was expensive to change? How hard was it to change days on your flight? This was with Alaska Airlines?

Changing the ticket was easy with AA.
But... no refundable ticket option.

Basically I had to cancel my flight, 'buy' another ticket home [ $779] 're-instate' my mileage again [$125]

Here is meat/antler shipping info for Alaska Airlines - Flying with perishable or big game items | Alaska Airlines

Below is my gear list.
Dont worry about the Helly Hansen stuff not 'breathable'. You're not going to want to go traipsing a long ways from camp.
Its important to stay dry, and warm - using layers.

Alaska Moose Hunt – Gear List [ Weighs approx 75lbs]

Clothes
• Helly Hansen Impertech II rain coat
• LaCrosse 600gram hip boots
• LaCrosse 800gram rubber boots
• LaCrosse leather boots
• Helly Hansen wool sweater
• 1 – Wool hat
• Beanie [for sleeping]
• 3 pair – Wool pants
• 2 pair - Thermal tops
• 2 pair – Thermal bottoms
• 1 – Insulated thermal bottoms
• 1 - Under Armour hoodie
• 5 pair – wool socks
• 2 pair - wool gloves
• Crocs
Gear
• Nikon 10x40 binos
• Nikon 550 RangeFinder
• DeLorme In Reach
• Silky Gomtaro saw
• PUR water filter
• Big Agnes 0 degree sleeping bag w/ liner
• Big Agnes Insulated Core Air sleeping pad
• Gore-Tex bivy bag
• Pack cot
• 4 big tarps
• 5 gal bucket
• Rope
• Para cord
• Small pulley
• Camp axe
• Frame Pack
• Camp chair

Food
12 APack MRE Meals
12 Assorted Mtn House Meals
Other misc items/utensils to cook food / coffee / water

Johnboy

WKR
As far as gear a question I do have is about rain gear. I have first lite stormtight, Sitka down pour , or a Helly Hanson. The only reason I'm asking is the first lite is breathable which is nice. The Sitka and helly hason keeps the water out but has zero breathablity to it. The weight I'm aloud to take is tight enough I need to pick one or the other. I was just wanting to hear your personal experiences

I researched this question prior to my 2016 Brook Range moose float hunt. You'll find two schools of thought, one on each side of the fence with regard to breathable membranes. My hunt planner STRONGLY discouraged a breathable rain jacket, citing the failures of early iterations of breathable rain jackets as the reason for insisting on the HH Impertech (rubber, non-breathable). However, in a moment of clarity, I suddenly realized that the same guy discouraging the breathable rain jackets STRONGLY encouraged using breathable waders as exclusive hunting pants. That didn't make sense to me. If breathable membranes are suitable for lower body (fully submerged in water, no less), why wouldn't they also be suitable to protect my upper body?

For these reasons, I purchased the Kuiu Yukon jacket (3-ply membrane), and it performed flawlessly. I'd say that any of the leading brands could be relied upon. Breathable membrane technology has come a long way since the early failed variations. For me, the many recent positive reviews were enough to prove this out, and I was confident with my choice.

Last edited:
I would put the KUIU Yukon line up against anything out there for waterproofness, durability and added warmth. Not cheap but lots less expensive than other comparable garments. I've been wearing breathable membrane rain gear for a couple decades and have yet to encounter leakage. It's a non-factor to me. I spent 7 days living in an Alaska monsoon in 2015 and my Chugach gear kept me 100% dry. I'm not knocking the Helly Hansen line which is the standard rain gear, much like Carhartts are the standard in work gear. I just happen to prefer rain gear which packs smaller, carries lighter and is designed specifically for hunters.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm a rookie just learning for my first moose hunt in 2018, but as of now I'm thinking of packing both the Helly Hansen jacket and a Kuiu Yukon jacket. I hear lots of people say to double up on raingear in case something gets wet and I'd pack a DWR softshell type jacket anyway. I'm thinking of taking the Kuiu as my standard outer jacket and having the other one in camp or the pack just in case.

For rain pants I'm thinking of just getting the Simms G3 wader pants and using them. Also the G3 boots.

After I started reading Alaska posts when deciding on what hunt to go on I bought Helly Hansen raingear (bibs and jacket) for work on the ranch. So far they have been great at keeping my dry. If something keeps me dry on the 4 wheeler when driving around checking cows in a spring storm with the wind howling it will usually keep my pretty dry under any conditions. I will get hot in them at times though, I definitely wouldn't want to be hiking a lot in them.

Thanks everyone for all the good info on this thread.

OP
BasinBuster
This good to hear about the newer breathable rain wear. I think it has come along ways in the last few years.
Cnelk thanks for taking the time to right up a list.

I'm getting a little worried about Kevin in his advanced age and have offered my services for his moose hunts. I just worry about him too much being all alone out there. Kevin, just call me so I can arrange my flights!

cocky84

WKR
I researched this question prior to my 2016 Brook Range moose float hunt. You'll find two schools of thought, one on each side of the fence with regard to breathable membranes. My hunt planner STRONGLY discouraged a breathable rain jacket, citing the failures of early iterations of breathable rain jackets as the reason for insisting on the HH Impertech (rubber, non-breathable). However, in a moment of clarity, I suddenly realized that the same guy discouraging the breathable rain jackets STRONGLY encouraged using breathable waders as exclusive hunting pants. That didn't make sense to me. If breathable membranes are suitable for lower body (fully submerged in water, no less), why wouldn't they also be suitable to protect my upper body?

For these reasons, I purchased the Kuiu Yukon jacket (3-ply membrane), and it performed flawlessly. I'd say that any of the leading brands could be relied upon. Breathable membrane technology has come a long way since the early failed variations. For me, the many recent positive reviews were enough to prove this out, and I was confident with my choice.

When i went i used some cheaper cabelas breathable waist waders. They worked great but when i go back i will buy a nice comfortable set of simms waders with comfortable boots. There will be no need for rain pants at that point. If i only hunted in Alaska i would buy the Kuiu Yukon jacket, but if you hunt in warmer areas i suggest the Chugach and insulating layer when it gets cold. I have never been wet in my Chugach and none of my buddies have either.

I'm getting a little worried about Kevin in his advanced age and have offered my services for his moose hunts. I just worry about him too much being all alone out there. Kevin, just call me so I can arrange my flights!

:cool: Danny...you'll be either happy or disappointed to know I'm already getting in condition for the 2017 season. I intend to be the toughest I've been in many years, and there's a reason for that. I'm going a little deeper and farther hoping to kill one of the old monarchs in my little valley. So I'm not yet in need of your packing skills, but time keeps marching onward!

Also, I'm giving some serious thought to doing a full month in 2018. Ten days of solo caribou in the mountains and 15 days chasing moose, with a few days in between to get resupplied...freeze meat...and get my Chena Pump House fix. I need to do this, as there are rumors I'm suffering from TMB.....too many birthdays. ;)

Last edited:

Johnboy

WKR
When i went i used some cheaper cabelas breathable waist waders. They worked great but when i go back i will buy a nice comfortable set of simms waders with comfortable boots. There will be no need for rain pants at that point. If i only hunted in Alaska i would buy the Kuiu Yukon jacket, but if you hunt in warmer areas i suggest the Chugach and insulating layer when it gets cold. I have never been wet in my Chugach and none of my buddies have either.

I agree with this. The Yukon has a thin fleece inner coating that adds some warmth. I used the Simms G3 waders and boots and was glad I didn't cheap out. Float hunting is rough on gear, and the Simms products are tough as nails.

Huntfun

FNG
I have a set of KUIU rain gear, not the Yukon line, that I will not take to AK due I do not think it will stand up to the rough vegetation. I also bought the HH Impertech II long jacket and it seems even less durable than the KUIU. At this stage I plan to bring my Arc Teryx Leaf rain gear in multi Cam which I feel is as waterproof and bulletproof as you can get. I use it as an outer layer when I ski out west and it is incredible. The only down side too the Arc Teryx is it is not as quiet as I'd like. Does anyone else us Arc Teryx Leaf? I'm very intrigued but the KUIU Yukon testimonials

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Huntfun, from what I understand, the Kuiu rain gear drops in durability as you drop down in price point. The Yukon being the most durable, then the Chugach, and finally the Teton the less of the three. In a sense, you truly get what you pay for.

I have helly hansen and been through some tough stuff in Alaska with absolutely no tears at all. I do wish I had the Chugach gear tho and I'm kuiu obsessed. It's by far the best hunting material imho...

K.Dill - Can't wait to see the pics bud...

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffmacdonald77