DIY Moose hunt suggestions

Myself and a few buddies are looking at going to Alaska in 2018 for a moose hunt. Either a float hunt or a fly In drop camp. Who have you hunted with and what was your experience.

Thanks

The first thing to ask yourself is what's the budget. All your research and decisions will be driven off what you plan to spend. DIY is obviously a lot cheaper than taking a guid. But there are also different levels of "DIY" I've done two completely DIY for about as cheap as you can do it. Upgrading a little this year and using an outfitter who will drop us in a good area and provide a few supplies. Happy to share what I've learned with you my last few years. The biologist up there are pretty tired of me bugging them, pretty sure they all know My name by now.

cnelk

WKR
To the OP:

Have you contacted anyone at all yet? If not, you better get cracking if you want to go in '18
There are plenty of transporters you can call, ask a few questions and get something set up.

You will need to know when you want to go [there are several seasons to choose from in different areas]
Archery ? Rifle?
Any Bull areas? or 50" min areas?

Is everyone going to have a moose tag?

Also, 'a few buddies'? How many is that?
Coordinating more than 2 guys is gonna be a real PITA

Find out the answer to these questions and the trip will come together a lot more quickly

OP
BasinBuster
We will have two guys going. I would prefer to go In 2018. The people I'm currently looking at is willow air, 40 mile air, papa bear, and mcgnoson air. I'm looking to go in a brow tine restricted unit. And we would be hunting with a rifle.
I'm mostly just wanting to hear what hunters have experienced with who they went with. I've been burned by not talking with people that have used specific outfits before and references can be controlled to much by the outfitter if you only ask them.

cnelk

WKR
BasinBuster
I think you're gonna find out that guys are pretty tight-lipped about who they use unless its a familiar flight service.

I spent hours on the phone calling around Alaska before I got a 'ping'

OP
BasinBuster
Actually guys have been very helpful thru pm.
But I do agree with 18 maybe tough to book. The more popular names defiantly book out way in advance.
Did you get a nice moose when you went?

KJH

WKR
cnelk 2x's... I like unit 18 because they are over the counter tags. I'd stay away from Renfro but would go with Papa Bear every year.

Why not Renfro? I talked with someone who had a fantastic experience, so hearing something opposite is interesting. I've never hunted with Renfro or Papa Bear, so I can't compare them. My curiosity has the best of me now.

Not a great record flying (wrecked three planes in the last two years), back-loaded clients and takes a lot of them. Talked to many, including a good friend that went with them last year, and it was very disorganized. Steve emphasizes safety and organization. He does not overbook and takes a limited amount of hunters each year to ensure customer service. I've yet to hear of any person who has hunted with Papa Bear speak a bad word about Steve or his operation.

KJH

WKR
Not a great record flying (wrecked three planes in the last two years), back-loaded clients and takes a lot of them. Talked to many, including a good friend that went with them last year, and it was very disorganized. Steve emphasizes safety and organization. He does not overbook and takes a limited amount of hunters each year to ensure customer service. I've yet to hear of any person who has hunted with Papa Bear speak a bad word about Steve or his operation.

Cool. Thanks... was just curious.

cnelk

WKR
I brought back what meat I could in coolers shipped as luggage.

I used D & C Expediters to ship my rack

This is how it arrived in my driveway - $1000 later

OP
BasinBuster
Matt did you have any issue bringing the meat or antlers thru the Yukon or BC? Do you have to have anything special to legally transport it? Did you ever have to drive over 250 miles from gas stations?

The total biggest savings was making sure I booked with Alaskan Air and actually simply checked in our moose heads as checked luggage. They made it all the way to Denver with no incidents at all. It cost an extra $150 each to add them as checked baggage. Also, get an alaskan airlines credit card and the next guy fly's for $99 round trip. You can book this all the way to Bethel if you go there. Bring or buy some black pipe insulation, cardboard, shrink rap and duct tape and you have a checked bag.. I'll post pics later..

OP
BasinBuster
That's a good idea as well. Did you split the antlers? And did you bring back a cape? I'm am looking for to see the pictures