Idaho moose (Non resident)

I just want to make sure I'm reading everything correctly, because I'm probably not.

As a NR I can put in for any unit, but that doesn't mean I can even draw that unit? There has to be a certain amount of tags issued for that hunt for me to even draw? Am I reading it correctly?
For example: There is an archery bull hunt which I believe was only two tags. Based off that number, a NR cannot be draw?

The reason I am asking this is:
A) I want to make sure I actually put in for a correct unit
B) If I am correct, then a lot of NR are just applying for units that they will virtually never draw....

Thank you for anyone willing to share information.

Daniel

Kimbersig

WKR
NR are allowed up to 10% of the tags BY SPECIES. Cow moose tags figure in too. it is possible to draw a tag in your example just depends on where in the sequence of the draw your application is drawn and if the NR quota has been met. there is no "correct" unit to apply for as a NR. one example is the hells canyon sheep tag. there is one tag issued and a very large percent of the time a NR draws that tag.

NR are allowed up to 10% of the tags BY SPECIES. Cow moose tags figure in too. it is possible to draw a tag in your example just depends on where in the sequence of the draw your application is drawn and if the NR quota has been met. there is no "correct" unit to apply for as a NR. one example is the hells canyon sheep tag. there is one tag issued and a very large percent of the time a NR draws that tag.

I always thought it was 10% per "hunt". So hunts with, say 15 tags would only allow 1 nonres tag. Granted, I only ever applied for controlled hunts as a resident, and since leaving Idaho I only do OTC, so I'm not up on these details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimbersig

WKR
I always thought it was 10% per "hunt". So hunts with, say 15 tags would only allow 1 nonres tag. Granted, I only ever applied for controlled hunts as a resident, and since leaving Idaho I only do OTC, so I'm not up on these details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope its by species. there are times that nr don't draw a tag in a unit with 10+ tags either due to the odds or the quota being met for the state. you are partly correct in your example too though. NR can't have more than 10% in units with 10+ tags. so 15 tags limits NR to 1 tag. but unit 1-1 for example with 50 tags gave 5 to NR

OP
Lostinthewoods

Copy that.
Thank you for clearing that up.
I was worried I couldn't put in for that archery hunt!

Thank you again.

I thought that once 10% of tags are drawn all nonresidents are pulled out, even if a nonresident didn't get drawn.

I've never heard this, and I've hunted Idaho for over 25 years (first as a resident and now as a non resident). But I also don't do many draw hunts, so maybe I'm out of the loop.