Which rifle...

I am going moose hunting in Alaska this September.
I have a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .375 H&H with laminated stock and blued action and barrel. Schmidt Bender Zenith 1.5 - 6 X 42.
Handloaded Barnes TSX 300 gr.

I also have a Ruger M77 in .300 WinMag with synthetic stock and stainless action and barrel.
Leupold VX -1 3-9 X 40.
Winchester Supreme 180 gr Accubond or
Barnes TTSX 180 gr.

The hunt will be in the northern Interior on the Koyukuk river. Drop camp with maybe some floating if we need to relocate down river.

I actually prefer shooting the .375 but am proficient with the .300 as well.

I guess my concern is wet environments causing rust to my blued baby.

Guidance, please! And TIA.

SFH

stevevan

WKR
I'd go with the .300. Plenty of gun for moose+ being lighter in weight and more weatherproof.

Kimbersig

WKR
you definitely don't need a 375 for a moose. 300 with the 180 gr is plenty. we hunted Kodiak in very wet conditions and my buddy actually had the firing pin spring seize up on him due to rust in just 9 days and had to take it apart in the field while watching the deer he shot feed up the hill. luckily he got it fixed in time but still had a hang fire which he held onto till it went off and killed his deer. I'd go with the stainless synthetic stock hands down. and spend the summer getting more proficient with it if you don't trust it as much.

First off congrats on the tag (I'm assuming you drew one of those tags?). I've hunted moose, in tributaries, off the Koyukuk and on the Koyukuk R. itself a few times and it is for sure a great hunt. There are some really BIG moose in that area, that being said, either one of those rifles will work fine. The area typically doesn't get a lot of rain that time of year, but anything's possible. I don't think you would have too big of an issue with keeping your blued rifle rust free even if you did have to deal with the usual amount of precipitation the normally occurs there in Sept. If you don't mind me asking, what tag did you draw, when are you going, and how are you planning on accessing it?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I used to never take blued firearms outside for longer than a range day.
But then I realized it doesn't take THAT much time to wipe them down and pull an rag through the bore.
It's kinda romantic to take care of a nice rifle in the woods.
All that said, sheep hunting this year we woke up to inches (plural) of standing water on the slightly downhill side of the tent. Bathtub floor, single wall... :eek: Guess what was at the bottom of the puddle? My rifle.
I would have felt reeeeeaaaaaaaal bad if it was a Mark V Deluxe wearing claro walnut.
My stainless .270? Not a tear.

bhylton

WKR
if your prefer to shoot the 375.. take it. who cares if its "too much gun" if there is such a thing. the barnes bullet wont disturb too much meat anyways. 375 would be good on a bear too if you needed. my entire family has hunted with blued/ wood stock rifles in the very wet PNW since forever.. if its wet, wipe it off. if you take 2 minutes each day to take care of your rifle it will be fine.

OP
SemperFiHunter
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
I do love my .375 and will probably Barricade it up and clean it daily. Being from Texas, where we don't have any bears to speak of, I think I will sleep a little better with the CZ. Heh.
I killed a Cape Buffalo with it 10 years ago, so yeah, I have a lot of faith in it.
Thanks again.
AK Troutbum: sending PM now.

SFH

cnelk

WKR
I've shot 2 moose.
One was with a 340 WBY Mag and the other was with a 375 H&H
Kilt them dead :)

Both are stainless with composite stocks.
IMO that is a must when hunting moose in moosey conditions

Just hunt with a caliber you are most comfortable with and don't give in to the masses :)

Doc89

WKR
Both my father and I hunted moose in the Yukon Delta last September. We both used a 300 win mag; Weatherby Vanguard stainless synthetic rifle, leupold 3.5-10x40 vx3, Talley rings, and Barnes 180 grain TTSX. Outstanding rifle and bullet combo, both of our bulls went less than 50 yards and neither of our rifles came home rusty without any field care other than a light coat of oil prior to getting in the field. I had the opportunity to talk to quite a few other moose hunters while up their and surprisingly a stainless/synthetic 300 win mag shooting Barnes ammo was THE most common rig... hope this helps, smoke a big one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
If you're willing to clean it everyday...take the .375 if you'd like. I've hunted the Interior with a blued and walnut rifle and while it takes its toll, it's not going to happen overnight. Reasonable care and you'll be in business.

If you were going to coast, go stainless/synthetic and never look back.

mcseal2

WKR
When I go next year I'll be packing a 300 win with a 180gr bullet. I have a custom one, stainless with cerakote also, that should be about as weatherproof as I can get. Now I just need to decide if the bullet will be the Accubond or E tip, better start a new thread to discuss that. It will be my first trip so I can't give you any advice past that.

I took a moose with a 375 last fall in the interior. Next rifle will be a lightweight 30 caliber for that same purpose if that says anything.

AlaskaEd

WKR
If the rifles were both stainless/synthetic if go with the 375H&H in a heartbeat. I have hunted with a nice 375 blued/wood, and I spent a lot of time worrying about keeping it dry and oiled. I got a bull with it and it Killed it quicker than any other bull I've seen hit with lesser bullets. With that said I would take your M77 300WM if I was in your shoes and I'd still have no worries it would get the job done. Folks have killed moose with all manner and sizes of bullets, but I prefer they die as quick as possible, so I want the hardest hitter. I won't ever carry a blued/wood rifle in that situation again though.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
If you're from Texas I doubt you have many opportunities to get that 375 out in the field. Dust it off and let it do what it was meant to do, hunt big game. The 375 has been a popular moose caliber for many years. It punches a nice clean hole.

Take a little oil and you'll be just fine. I have a number of friends who hunt with blued rifles and with a little attention they haven't turned into piles of rust.

AlaskaEd

WKR
After reading Shane's post, I'd agree. If you haven't had your 375 out you should bring it.

I use the single wipe RemOil packets and always have a couple on me. Make sure you oil all exposed metal and don't forget the action screws, trigger guard scope bases, and muzzle/crown. That's where I'd see surface rust start to form if I wasn't taking care of it. I would wipe mine with a RemOil wipe every night. Also ensure your stock is sealed so you don't get any warping from moisture.

Snyd

WKR
I used to never take blued firearms outside for longer than a range day.
But then I realized it doesn't take THAT much time to wipe them down and pull an rag through the bore.
It's kinda romantic to take care of a nice rifle in the woods.
All that said, sheep hunting this year we woke up to inches (plural) of standing water on the slightly downhill side of the tent. Bathtub floor, single wall... :eek: Guess what was at the bottom of the puddle? My rifle.
I would have felt reeeeeaaaaaaaal bad if it was a Mark V Deluxe wearing claro walnut.
My stainless .270? Not a tear.

Time for a new/better tent! ;)

Snyd

WKR
I'm not afraid of wood/blue/leather in the woods. They've been getting the job done for longer than we've been alive. Your 375 won't rust or rot on one moose hunt. If it gets a ding or 2 big whoop. It adds to the memory of the Alaskan Moose Hunt. One of my sheep hunting partners always carries his wood/blue pre64 win 270 sheep hunting and we've been on some looong wet walkin hunts. He grew up hunting with it in Washington. It hasn't rusted and rotted apart yet either. He kills rams with it too.

Bottom line.... don't let wood/blue keep it out of Alaska! It's a big gun, come and shoot something big with it! A born and raised Alaskan buddy of mine has always hunted moose with his 375. Great caliber.