Backpack for Moose? Short Guy!

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure this has been addressed many times and it is subjective to the "feel" and size of person using it. However, I still would like some help on choosing an effective pack for moose.
We are required to pack our moose"bone in" from our gmu in Alaska this September.
I currently have a Wilderness Specialties pack made in Usa out of Oregon which I packed a bull elk in Idaho this last September. The frame is rated at 120lb capacity. I carried two 120-125 lb loads with my partner to get it out in 2 days. The pack held well but I'm short, wigh 155 lbs and have a waste of 29-30". Even with their smallest belt it dug in severely into my hips. I tried adjusting weight distribution and load lifters many different ways to relieve it, but it didn't help.
I am looking for a better solution to packing a moose in Alaska if I shoot one.
Any constructive suggestions on Backpacks from those that are smaller build and have packed HEAVY loads would be appreciated. I know there are a ton of packs out there(kifaru,kuiu, stone glacier, Exo mountain, Eberlestock, Cabelas Etc) so i'm trying to focus on one of these that will handle a smaller frame body.
Thanks in advance for the input!

The Barney's frame is a good packer for sure. I used one for 4 years but sold it a while back.

Mystery Ranch packs (using the Guide Light frame) have an adjustable-length yoke. You adjust it to custom-fit your exact torso length. Nothing beats having the exact hip belt-to-shoulder length you need, and it will add to comfort under heavy loads. For bone-in meat (using a MR pack) I would absolutely use the meat shelf which is an integral part of the design.

One thing I'm curious about myself. I think over the years I've noticed there seems to be little or no correlation between hip belt pad comfort, relative to thickness, softness or height. Some hip belts with firm pads seem to produce fewer hotspots and such.

cnelk

WKR
Kelty Cache Hauler
Rugged, simple and wont break the budget

Im not going to mention comfort because I dont care what youre using, packing moose meat & comfort do not belong in the same conversation.

OP
B

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
I agree about the comfort comment! Especially with that kind of weight. However, It had way to much side to side play and I couldn't get it to sinch any tighter causing extreme discomfort and hotspots.

hodgeman

WKR
I've packed several moose in the MR NICE frame using their load sling. Works about as well as anything out there and is very adjustable for torso length and waist/yoke size.

You can call them and they'll put on together to your sizing specifications. That said- I endeavor to shoot moose as close as possible to some form of transportation, no such thing as an easy moose pack out!