Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Maverick I'll check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan89 View Post
    I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.
    I keep mine rolled down around my waist. I very rarely pull them up to my chest when I'm moose hunting but there has been a few occasions, and it's always nice to have when you need 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of an offshoot kind of thing, but Cabela's introduced a boot last summer (2016) called the Instinct Lockdown. It comes in 400G and 1200G insulation models. It's a true hiking/hunting boot completely enclosed by a waterproof outer covering which extends up the leg to the knee...just like a tall gaiter. I saw them in a store and was VERY impressed, but they didn't have my size. My friend (smaller feet) ordered a pair and used them last fall on his moose hunt. He told me they worked perfectly. Feet and legs 100% dry. The boot uses BOA lacing (twist the ratchet dial) and he said they were fantastic for foot support in hiking and in packing out his (big!) moose.

Anyway, I've got a pair on backorder and hope they make it in before September.

Post Thanks / Like
    + 1 for chest waders.

- (mid-priced) breathable stocking foot chest waders--Caddis Northern Guide
    - Quality hiking style wading boots--Simms G3 Guide Boot

I've done both hip and chest. Definitely prefer lite weight breathable chest waders. There are several reasons why. #1.) Weight--if you're weight restricted, especially for fly-ins, then thin chest waders (avg. 2.3-2.8 lbs, not including boots) are a huge weight savings over hip waders that weigh 7+lbs (lacrosse air bob,i.e., the gold standard). #2.) Versatility--wade in deeper water, roll down like pants, breathes better with warm and cold temps, drys 100x faster, can take off and pack away with ease--add an extra wool sock and able to wear wading boots as second pair. #3.) Custom fit; a hip wader tends to slip around or constrict...not very much middle ground; where a stocking foot wader/boot combo you can almost custom fit.

Buying guide tips:
    1.) If you're using your waders for moose hunting only, save your money and go with mid-priced chest waders. Why spend 3x as much on Simms when the notoriously nasty Alaskan Alders will just shred through them w/in one season when you could just buy a new pair each season for the next 3yrs
    2.) Buy quality wading boots that are built to hike in. If you cut corners and get a cheap store brand boot (guilty as charged) your feet and back will ultimately pay the price. Spend the money and only cry once...or else.

Pictured:'16 Alaskan Yukon bull--temps ranged from freezing to a sweltering 60 degrees w/in a matter of hours, as you can tell by my pasty whites.

Attachment 55376Attachment 5537820160913_084040.jpg
    Last edited by K1United; 08-06-2017 at 01:45 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great pic united

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Droptine View Post
    That's a great pic united
    Thanks, brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are doing a DIY drop camp and the pilot recommended Neos... so i went with those.

Link:
    NEOS River Trekker Overshoe Hipper Brown - RTK8

Edit; I'm going to update this for the knowledge base. I didn't end up getting the Neos...and good thing. It turns out the outfit I ordered them through waited a week to let me know they were out of stock...a week before the hunt. Late;YES! We had been trying to get a hold of our transporter all summer with no return call until right before leaving with him saying our payment is due....bad deal, and I wouldn't recommend the guy- but thats a different story.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread BUT....what I've come to realize is that the area you are hunting makes a crucial difference on what footwear you choose. My advice; know beforehand the type country you are hunting to We were assuming dry ground area with some high ground to glass and then some swampy stuff [of course, its Alaska!] We got all swamp....and by that I mean we were camped on marshy ground we had to lay an alder grid down, then brush then grass just so we were laying on swamp. The things we do to kill a moose!? Almost our entire unit was this....at least the areas we spotted moose.

The Neos my buddy had were crap for this, IMO. Crossing through Alder sections or just plowing through thigh high swamp those Neos are noisy as hell. I'm sure they cost us the one bull we had seen the day before from the air. After 5 days of total submersion those Neos started soaking through.

I had the Frogg Togg stocking foot waders with a last minute pair of old running shoes. The waders wear excellent...the shoes not so good with not enough support for the muck.
    Optimal for that swampy stuff we were in would have been something like the Simms pant waders.

Best advice; Know the ground you will be hunting. In our case it would have been nice to know beforehand as we really needed a packraft for meat retrieval. I've backpacked a lot of animals in my days...but getting a moose out of a swamp 3/4 mile from us would have been impossible on our backs.
    Last edited by Beendare; 09-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used my simms stocking foot waders on a few hunts and float trips and they been excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    if i didnt already mention the benefit of stocking foot and wading boots over the boots only is the ability to poor boiling water into your wading boots and slip your stocking feet into a warm "dry" bath to start to the day on frosty mornings. Especially helpful this year for me, so its fresh on my mind. do it and tell us which you prefer then...:-)

later

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    G3 Guide for me, too, and my partners all swear by the zipper. I like piss all down the front of mine for bear safety scent...
    Larry, What type of boot do you run with the G3 Guide?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
    Larry, What type of boot do you run with the G3 Guide?
    I used the G3's this year in Alaska. They were the only boots I took into the bush. I was impressed with them. The only problem I had they were a little to big on me. They don't make half sizes. 11 was a little big 10 was to small. Overall I was happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMcGee View Post
    I used the G3's this year in Alaska. They were the only boots I took into the bush. I was impressed with them. The only problem I had they were a little to big on me. They don't make half sizes. 11 was a little big 10 was to small. Overall I was happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks PMcGee! I'm a size 11, so I will get those and run them through the ringer.