Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Maverick I'll check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan89 View Post
    I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.
    I keep mine rolled down around my waist. I very rarely pull them up to my chest when I'm moose hunting but there has been a few occasions, and it's always nice to have when you need 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of an offshoot kind of thing, but Cabela's introduced a boot last summer (2016) called the Instinct Lockdown. It comes in 400G and 1200G insulation models. It's a true hiking/hunting boot completely enclosed by a waterproof outer covering which extends up the leg to the knee...just like a tall gaiter. I saw them in a store and was VERY impressed, but they didn't have my size. My friend (smaller feet) ordered a pair and used them last fall on his moose hunt. He told me they worked perfectly. Feet and legs 100% dry. The boot uses BOA lacing (twist the ratchet dial) and he said they were fantastic for foot support in hiking and in packing out his (big!) moose.

Anyway, I've got a pair on backorder and hope they make it in before September.

Post Thanks / Like
    + 1 for chest waders.

- (mid-priced) breathable stocking foot chest waders--Caddis Northern Guide
    - Quality hiking style wading boots--Simms G3 Guide Boot

I've done both hip and chest. Definitely prefer lite weight breathable chest waders. There are several reasons why. #1.) Weight--if you're weight restricted, especially for fly-ins, then thin chest waders (avg. 2.3-2.8 lbs, not including boots) are a huge weight savings over hip waders that weigh 7+lbs (lacrosse air bob,i.e., the gold standard). #2.) Versatility--wade in deeper water, roll down like pants, breathes better with warm and cold temps, drys 100x faster, can take off and pack away with ease--add an extra wool sock and able to wear wading boots as second pair. #3.) Custom fit; a hip wader tends to slip around or constrict...not very much middle ground; where a stocking foot wader/boot combo you can almost custom fit.

Buying guide tips:
    1.) If you're using your waders for moose hunting only, save your money and go with mid-priced chest waders. Why spend 3x as much on Simms when the notoriously nasty Alaskan Alders will just shred through them w/in one season when you could just buy a new pair each season for the next 3yrs
    2.) Buy quality wading boots that are built to hike in. If you cut corners and get a cheap store brand boot (guilty as charged) your feet and back will ultimately pay the price. Spend the money and only cry once...or else.

Pictured:'16 Alaskan Yukon bull--temps ranged from freezing to a sweltering 60 degrees w/in a matter of hours, as you can tell by my pasty whites.

Attachment 55376Attachment 5537820160913_084040.jpg
    Last edited by K1United; 1 Week Ago at 12:45 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great pic united

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Droptine View Post
    That's a great pic united
    Thanks, brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are doing a DIY drop camp and the pilot recommended Neos... so i went with those.

Link:
    NEOS River Trekker Overshoe Hipper Brown - RTK8

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used my simms stocking foot waders on a few hunts and float trips and they been excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk