Hippers, Waders...which ones?

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.

I've used the Lacrosse Big Chiefs for years and never had an issue with them. There's no way I could hunt in chest waders as much as I sweat.

I keep mine rolled down around my waist. I very rarely pull them up to my chest when I'm moose hunting but there has been a few occasions, and it's always nice to have when you need 'em.
c0dcff86387932cef62fe736961c18e0.jpg

42b8d129494a77c754c4d464ab20b5b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of an offshoot kind of thing, but Cabela's introduced a boot last summer (2016) called the Instinct Lockdown. It comes in 400G and 1200G insulation models. It's a true hiking/hunting boot completely enclosed by a waterproof outer covering which extends up the leg to the knee...just like a tall gaiter. I saw them in a store and was VERY impressed, but they didn't have my size. My friend (smaller feet) ordered a pair and used them last fall on his moose hunt. He told me they worked perfectly. Feet and legs 100% dry. The boot uses BOA lacing (twist the ratchet dial) and he said they were fantastic for foot support in hiking and in packing out his (big!) moose.

Anyway, I've got a pair on backorder and hope they make it in before September.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
We are doing a DIY drop camp and the pilot recommended Neos... so i went with those.

Link:
NEOS River Trekker Overshoe Hipper Brown - RTK8

Edit; I'm going to update this for the knowledge base. I didn't end up getting the Neos...and good thing. It turns out the outfit I ordered them through waited a week to let me know they were out of stock...a week before the hunt. Late;YES! We had been trying to get a hold of our transporter all summer with no return call until right before leaving with him saying our payment is due....bad deal, and I wouldn't recommend the guy- but thats a different story.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread BUT....what I've come to realize is that the area you are hunting makes a crucial difference on what footwear you choose. My advice; know beforehand the type country you are hunting to We were assuming dry ground area with some high ground to glass and then some swampy stuff [of course, its Alaska!] We got all swamp....and by that I mean we were camped on marshy ground we had to lay an alder grid down, then brush then grass just so we were laying on swamp. The things we do to kill a moose!? Almost our entire unit was this....at least the areas we spotted moose.

The Neos my buddy had were crap for this, IMO. Crossing through Alder sections or just plowing through thigh high swamp those Neos are noisy as hell. I'm sure they cost us the one bull we had seen the day before from the air. After 5 days of total submersion those Neos started soaking through.

I had the Frogg Togg stocking foot waders with a last minute pair of old running shoes. The waders wear excellent...the shoes not so good with not enough support for the muck.
Optimal for that swampy stuff we were in would have been something like the Simms pant waders.

Best advice; Know the ground you will be hunting. In our case it would have been nice to know beforehand as we really needed a packraft for meat retrieval. I've backpacked a lot of animals in my days...but getting a moose out of a swamp 3/4 mile from us would have been impossible on our backs.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I have used my simms stocking foot waders on a few hunts and float trips and they been excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if i didnt already mention the benefit of stocking foot and wading boots over the boots only is the ability to poor boiling water into your wading boots and slip your stocking feet into a warm "dry" bath to start to the day on frosty mornings. Especially helpful this year for me, so its fresh on my mind. do it and tell us which you prefer then...:)

later

PMcGee

WKR
Larry, What type of boot do you run with the G3 Guide?

I used the G3's this year in Alaska. They were the only boots I took into the bush. I was impressed with them. The only problem I had they were a little to big on me. They don't make half sizes. 11 was a little big 10 was to small. Overall I was happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used the G3's this year in Alaska. They were the only boots I took into the bush. I was impressed with them. The only problem I had they were a little to big on me. They don't make half sizes. 11 was a little big 10 was to small. Overall I was happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks PMcGee! I'm a size 11, so I will get those and run them through the ringer.