Hippers, Waders...which ones?

Beendare

WKR
My 20 yr old hippers are shot.

So if you are going on a land based....or a float hunt for Moose.....which do you like/bring and what model/mnfr is it?

I'm going to be land based but still want at the least some Hip boots. Is there some lightweight/ breathable models worth a look? [my old rubber coated hip boot were heavy- but they always worked!

I see where some guys live in those waist high waders like the Simms G3 guide pant....those high waders don't get too hot on ya hiking around?

Stid2677

WKR
I like waders, always seems the water is just high enough to go over my hippers. The G3s are comfortable to hike is and breath well, also nice to be able to sit on soggy ground and not get the swamp butt.

P9050451_zpsc1c306e8.jpg

IMGP0304-1.jpg

I also always wear waders. For the last 15+ years I've been using G3 chest waders (I usually just roll them down to my waist), but this year I'll be sporting a new pair of G4's. I'm not looking forward to spending that kind of $ but with all the fishing I do coupled with some hunts, I'm sure I'll eventually get my money's worth out of them. I'm definitely looking forward to the front zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
G3 Guide for me, too, and my partners all swear by the zipper. I like piss all down the front of mine for bear safety scent...

Clarktar

WKR
Redington Sonic pros are great! Can't say it enough.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
simms wading pants are great, with some over sized hiking boots

Doc89

WKR
I went with the Reddington sonic pro stocking foot chest waders. Worked great for. The one hunt they were used on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
For you guys with the Simms waders. Are you going with boot foot or stocking foot? If stocking, what are you using for boots?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
For you guys with the Simms waders. Are you going with boot foot or stocking foot? If stocking, what are you using for boots?

Stocking foot waders here. I run the women's vapor boot over them, only because they don't make a women's guide boot (which is what my husband wears). I used the boots alone without the waders for a portage of several miles last spring, just used neoprene socks inside over hiking socks to take up the excess room. Won't replace my hiking boots, but for a float trip where you want the option to hike without your chest waders on its a good option.

In this photo I have my waders and boots on, and Luke is just using his guide boots with the neoprene socks sans waders

I would recommend stocking foot over boot foot just because I think you can get a much better fitting boot vs. the standard boot foot waders.

Schism

WKR
Stocking foot waders here. I run the women's vapor boot over them, only because they don't make a women's guide boot (which is what my husband wears). I used the boots alone without the waders for a portage of several miles last spring, just used neoprene socks inside over hiking socks to take up the excess room. Won't replace my hiking boots, but for a float trip where you want the option to hike without your chest waders on its a good option.

In this photo I have my waders and boots on, and Luke is just using his guide boots with the neoprene socks sans waders

Thank you!

Ray

WKR
I've been using the cabelas waist high breathable wader pants for several years for pretty much all my wet outdoor fun. I use an older style of Korker Guide boots with swappable inserts for various needs. The cabelas stuff is cheap and it shows with the seams in the crotch mostly. Perfectly suitable for being abused.

I've been using the cabelas waist high breathable wader pants for several years for pretty much all my wet outdoor fun. I use an older style of Korker Guide boots with swappable inserts for various needs. The cabelas stuff is cheap and it shows with the seams in the crotch mostly. Perfectly suitable for being abused.

A buddy of mine blew out the crotch on two new pairs of Cabelas, top of their line breathable waders, before he bit the bullet and bought a pair of Simms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best waders I ever owned were a pair of now-discontinued Cabela's warrior 2. They were neoprene up to the waist and breathable from there up. I'm not sure if there is anything similar on the market now. I've never hunted moose but I went on some serious walk-ins duck hunting and felt they were a great mix of durability and comfort.