Mini -van rental in Fairbanks in September

worx53

WKR
Hey guys anyone have a good source for mini-van rental in Fairbanks? airport pricing is very high. Need from Sept 3-21, 2017.
thanks.

AlaskaEd

WKR
You could try AER. They rent out HD trucks, but I don't know about minivans. The airport companies may be your only option. There aren't many other places to rent here, and they can be pretty limited on where you can take them.

Might be worth it to buy a used one and then resell?

hodgeman

WKR
Yeah- AER rents trucks, most of the retail rental companies don't consider Denali Highway, Dalton Highway and a number of other highways "roads"...so it may pay to take a look at where you're going.

carter33

WKR
I have heard of people renting vehicles from uhaul for hunting purposes in this area due to high prices elsewhere. Cannot vouch for it personally but may be worth looking at.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the roads. Most companies strictly ban travel on the Dalton, Denali, Etc.
I'm certain folks give it a whirl, but if something goes sideways you'd be super liable.
Not to mention I wouldn't want to run too far on either with junky, OEM rental car tires.

Our policy for work travel for the Dalton north is max ply, chip resistant with two spares for continued travel. (one flat means head back to base...)

If I was planning to put (edit: 700) miles on up there I'd follow a similar sop.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I believe Go North (or another local RV rental company) has trucks with in-bed campers, but I'm sure it'll be pretty pricy and possibly booked up by now.

All of the big rental car companies expressly forbid the Dalton. Go North is expensive, Uhaul charges mileage. You just have to decide what fits your needs best. A crew cab truck from Go North might be your best bet.

Typed from The Local@FAI (bar at Fairbanks airport)

colonel00

WKR
For 1 or 2 people, the cargo van from Uhaul is a good option. Since we have 4 going up for caribou this year, we rented from GoNorth. It's pricey but not horrible split 4 ways.

As others have asked, where are you heading?

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
We've explored most of the options listed above and I think will rent the eco car at the airport as we have found a way to transport meat if we are lucky- thanks for the help guys.