Top Gun Treks

CC

FNG
Considering this outfit for a Moose hunt in 18 of 19. Just curious if anyone has hunted with them in 20A Alaska? Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
CC,

I don't know Mr Jewett but I am familiar with GMU 20A as I live on the eastern edge and stay involved in F&G issues. 20A has a good moose population and the Area Biologist is Don Young in ADFG Fairbanks office. Wheeled and tracked vehicles have made serious entry into 20A from Parks and Richardson Highway. Boats run up the rivers from the North [Fairbanks] and there is quite a lot of supercub traffic as it's within fuel range of Delta and Fairbanks. I guess what I'm telling you is there are quite a few hunters in 20A.

My guess is that your guide may be in the Wood River area.

I hunted the Mt Hayes area for many years and it has way too many hunters for me any more.

Also keep in mind that moose hunting is very weather dependent. If it's warm like last year, the bulls just don't move nor respond to calling. Some of my friend guides with good harvest records blanked out. It happens.

On 9/11 of 1992 [I think] a storm came in dropped two feet of wind driven snow on us at Hayes Glacier and the temperature went to -20F. Rivers froze and we all waited days for weather to subside so our Cub could get in on skis. Many hunters left gear and boats in the bush until the next summer.

OP
C

CC

FNG
CC,

I don't know Mr Jewett but I am familiar with GMU 20A as I live on the eastern edge and stay involved in F&G issues. 20A has a good moose population and the Area Biologist is Don Young in ADFG Fairbanks office. Wheeled and tracked vehicles have made serious entry into 20A from Parks and Richardson Highway. Boats run up the rivers from the North [Fairbanks] and there is quite a lot of supercub traffic as it's within fuel range of Delta and Fairbanks. I guess what I'm telling you is there are quite a few hunters in 20A.

My guess is that your guide may be in the Wood River area.

I hunted the Mt Hayes area for many years and it has way too many hunters for me any more.

Also keep in mind that moose hunting is very weather dependent. If it's warm like last year, the bulls just don't move nor respond to calling. Some of my friend guides with good harvest records blanked out. It happens.

On 9/11 of 1992 [I think] a storm came in dropped two feet of wind driven snow on us at Hayes Glacier and the temperature went to -20F. Rivers froze and we all waited days for weather to subside so our Cub could get in on skis. Many hunters left gear and boats in the bush until the next summer.

Thank you so much for your input!!! Do you think we would see less pressure in units 12, 20e or 20d flying out of Tok? Still good moose populations I believe. I think the weather would be better as well on the other side of the Alaska range? Thanks VernAK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk