Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, by Billy Molls

billy molls

Super Moderator
I had a couple questions on price. Just to clarify: The average price for a DIY moose hunt is $5K-$7K with the most expensive I know of running around $10K. Most AK hunt prices will not include travel to nearest village or airport, license, tag(s), shipment of trophy/meat home, hotels in transit, gratuities, etc. I listed $9K -$14K for the all-in price to give a ballpark estimate to help those who are questioning the overall expense. Longer flight times and remoteness of area are typically the reason for higher cost.

That said, save your pennies, find a hunting buddy or 2, and go moose hunting! It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life! Let me know if I overlooked anything. I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Good Hunting,

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
...I listed $9K -$14K for the all-in price to give a ballpark estimate to help those who are questioning the overall expense...

And that's exactly what we need to know. How can we count the cost unless we count all the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5/6/17 Update. Had a super response to Part I. As promised, here is Part II. If you love photos, this article will light your fire!

attachment.php

Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, Part II
P.S. Watch for Billy's upcoming DIY Caribou article on our Caribou forum

The chores never end. From logistics, to getting stuff up there, to actually being there, to getting dropped off, to floating, to hunting , to being picked up, to getting to civilization, to shipping gear home, to taking care of meat, to getting home, to putting stuff away. But oh so worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_8324.jpg
    IMG_8324.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 187

bowuntr

WKR
Good stuff... I'm doing my 10th DIY hunt in Alaska this September. It all started when I quit talking about it and just did it. Keep it coming... Ed F

I had a couple questions on price. Just to clarify: The average price for a DIY moose hunt is $5K-$7K with the most expensive I know of running around $10K. Most AK hunt prices will not include travel to nearest village or airport, license, tag(s), shipment of trophy/meat home, hotels in transit, gratuities, etc. I listed $9K -$14K for the all-in price to give a ballpark estimate to help those who are questioning the overall expense. Longer flight times and remoteness of area are typically the reason for higher cost.

That said, save your pennies, find a hunting buddy or 2, and go moose hunting! It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life! Let me know if I overlooked anything. I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Good Hunting,

Thanks for this clarification. Very interesting article, and great pics! If a 68" bull moose rack strapped to a pack frame doesn't get a hunter fired up, I don't know what will.

I have an adventure to plan!

JPD350

WKR
A 68" moose is an awesome thought for sure!! Be prepared to enjoy the adventure because it may be all you come home with, LOL based on experience.....

I am 0 for 2 on Alaskan moose hunts and would be happy with any legal moose, I will be back at least one more time in the next few years...the adventure by itself is intoxicating but I would love to add killing to the adventure!

bobhunts

WKR
Went three years ago and the advice is spot on. Used my Kifau pack with the load hauler after removing the bag. Worked perfect. Moose are big..I mean really big compared to a really big bull elk. After rigamortise sets in they get really difficult to move. Using the legs to move them is advice I would advise anyone. When you have one on the ground it is like looking at a horse! Gutless is the only way!

billy molls

Super Moderator
These last few posts bring one particularly crusty old outfitter to mind: On his booth display at hunting expos he would post a big sign on top that read, "LIFE'S SHORT. WRITE THE CHECK!" :)

One can take my posting this with a grain of salt, because I've guided for 20 years now and haven't killed a big game animal for myself in AK. Maybe one of these days when my daughters get a little older we'll go on our own adventure...

rayporter

WKR
and every year the price goes up up up

in 89 i think round trip was 3200$

9 years ago it was 5400$$ round trip from memphis.

in 5 years...........well the sky is the limit

-write the check, now.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed up in 2018 for a lake based hunt. The planning is most of the fun!

Billy, thank you for the info on the tents, have you ever used a floorless shelter?

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Mr. Molls, thank you for taking the time to write up this article. A buddy and I are heading up for our first time in Alaska in 2018. Others suggested this as well but it's worth reiterating, just do it and quit putting it off. I'm 38 and have been dreaming of Alaska since I was 18 years old. That was 20 years ago. Life is too short, get it done! Good luck to all in their pursuits

billy molls

Super Moderator
I've used them for sheep hunting, but unless you're hunting deep in mountains winds in Alaska can be brutal. I'm not an expert on floorless tents, but I would make sure you know of someone who has hunted in Alaska with one before you depend on it with your life.

billy molls

Super Moderator
Oops,,, I didn't reply with quotes on my last reply... I'm not very tech savvy.

That's awesome you're realizing your dream! Life is indeed too short. There is a reason why most guys who quit making excuses and just go to Alaska go back again, and again, and again... I've found if you want to do something, you simply put your mind to it and take action. You may regret it somedays when you're up there, but all regret will vanish about 2 seconds after you're hunt's done and you're airborne and flying out of the bush. Best of luck,
Billy

Mr. Molls, thank you for taking the time to write up this article. A buddy and I are heading up for our first time in Alaska in 2018. Others suggested this as well but it's worth reiterating, just do it and quit putting it off. I'm 38 and have been dreaming of Alaska since I was 18 years old. That was 20 years ago. Life is too short, get it done! Good luck to all in their pursuits

VernAK

WKR
Thanks Billy & Robby.......

Your synopsis of DIY Alaska moose hunting was badly needed rather than new hunters having to ask multiple scattered questions....Well done!

I might add a thought about the size of hunting parties:

I've had L48 hunters talk about 4 guys, all with moose tags, being flown into a drop camp or float trip. Four guys can be fun in camp and handy for packing but four bull moose is quite a stretch.

Here in Eastern Alaska, some of the favored moose areas have a population density of about 1/M2 [one moose per square mile] the bull cow ratio is usually about 30-35 bulls per hundred cows. That population estimate includes calves which are usually 30/100 cows. Many areas require non-residents to take 50"+ bulls......how many of that 30-35 bulls are over 50"?..........very few......what I'm getting to is that you will need a hell of a lot of acreage to get four good bulls let alone two.

This is where caribou tags enter the scene.