Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, by Billy Molls

Both links when I click on them say "error 404 page not found". can somebody offer some help or point me in the direction so I can read the articles please

I am new to Rokslide and I really enjoyed reading these 2 articles. The one thing that I would of liked to read in the articles was about actually getting the moose out of Alaska. Cause hunting small villages in Alaska can bring great reward but can get really costly getting that moose home. So I always tell hunters coming to Alaska think about another $1200 in shipping cost to get meat adm antlers home. You can probably get it done cheaper but always good to have higher number in your head.

attachment.php

Super excited about having Billy Molls back writing for Rokslide. Billy's been guiding in Alaska for 19 years and is an excellent resource for both guided and DIY hunters.
I read and edit A LOT of articles and can tell you guys that this is be one of the best for helping hunters do a DIY Alaskan hunt, from the planning to the travel, to the bush pilots, to the hunt tactics, and of course THE GEAR!. This is a two-part series as there is so much information to cover. Take a minute to read Part I and see if you agree.

Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, Part I

5/6/17 Update. Had a super response to Part I. As promised, here is Part II. If you love photos, this article will light your fire!

attachment.php

Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, Part II
P.S. Watch for Billy's upcoming DIY Caribou article on our Caribou forum

If you missed Billy's 5 Guide-Tested Techniques for Grizzly Encounters, catch up that while I get this next article ready.

Great series. Very informative read. Heading to AK this September. Any threads on moose calling and vocalizations? Already planning on ordering bull magnet and the 2 part video series love n thunder. Looking for other resources as well! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great series. Very informative read. Heading to AK this September. Any threads on moose calling and vocalizations? Already planning on ordering bull magnet and the 2 part video series love n thunder. Looking for other resources as well! Thanks in advance

Glad you like the series, it’s been a few years so I can’t remember if there are any threads on those subjects.

Just go to the forum on full site mode, go to upper right hand corner under search, type in a few keywords and see what comes up.

Knowing Roksliders , probably something out there.

Hi Guys:

My quick 2 cents worth on this topic.

Please make sure you are planning 18-24 months out on a moose hunt up here in AK. I get hunt groups who call me 8-10 months out and are surprised that I have to turn them away. Most of the GMU in Ak are draw for out of state moose and applications are due in mid Dec with the draw results posted around Feb. 14th or so each year. You really need to do your research long and hard before you put in your applications. Almost all of the high quality hunts happen off of the road system and are quite pricy even for the DIY hunter. Getting 950 pounds of moose out and back to Anchorage or Fairbanks will set you back about $1.80 a pound just back to the road system and then you need to get it home..

Flight services: I work with a number of flight services and I can tell you that except for cancelations all of the good flight services will book 14+ months out. If you come across a flight service who is advertising there is a reason and you should look into that flight service long and hard before signing a contract and making a deposit. I have one pilot who I have been sending clients to for 18 years and he only takes repeat clients...No new groups at all. That reflects that he runs a tight ship and that we have a real shortage of services and that number is on the decline every year. Back when I started in 2004 (?) I booked my guys with 4 different flight services out of 7 or 8 flying out of Kotzebue. 2 of 4 flight services have retired and their permits were not picked up thus fewer pilots and more pressure on the good ones who remain. We have 3 other flight services in Kotz but honesty there are 2 that I will NOT refer clients to for lots of reasons. Buyer beware!

So....You should be planning for 2021 and 2022 right now!!

Good luck

Walt

Attachments

• 2008 packing out the moose.jpg
    2008 packing out the moose.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Packing out the Bou.jpg
    Packing out the Bou.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 111_1130 (2).JPG
    111_1130 (2).JPG
    287 KB · Views: 71