Alaska

So it seems getting a nonresident moose tag is easy and inexpensive in terms of tags elsewhere. What are the other "hidden" cost besides getting to Alaska?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Commercial airline ticket from lower 48 = $600 - $1,000. There are ways to save, including using miles.

Bush flights = $2,000 - $3,500 round trip. Quite a bit of variance so check and ask questions.

NR hunting license and moose tag = $900.

Hotels on each end of trip = $130 average per room per night per 2 men.

Meat transport home is so cost-variable it's pointless to say. I figure $1/pound via Alaska Air Cargo.

Miscellaneous costs which add up: Ground transportation/car rental. Restaurants. Food supply for the hunt. Satellite phone rental. Meat transport from the field. Excess baggage fees. Taxidermy and/or prep expenses.

Factor in several hundred extra dollars if you mistakenly kill a sublegal bull...but you won't be taking anything home either.

KJH

WKR
Kevin is Spot on with his comments. The miscellaneous costs will add up if you're trying to stay on a budget, especially your first time when you have more of a concept in mind than a tried and true plan.

A few extra possible expenses that come to mind: If you add on a wolf tag and a fishing license, you're looking at more. If you rent any equipment you'll have more expenses. You'll have to buy your propane or white gas in AK. You might need some wax fish boxes to ship your meat home. If you need to freeze your meat somewhere, you'll might need to pay something for that. You might need a couple of taxi rides to get around in Bethel, Kotzebue, etc. If you ship your camp gear home you will need money to do that. Tips for those that help you along the way will be appreciated... If you have your meat processed up there, you'll have more. Lots of little things depending on where you go and who your transporter is....

If you're thinking DIY because this is a "cheap" hunt, you're mistaken. In the grand scheme of DIY hunts its not all that expensive, but its not cheap either. If you love the challenge of working through all of these details and the planning aspect, then it can be a great hunt even if you don't harvest anything. If you're ready for the work of dealing with a big animal a thousand miles from home and hundreds of miles from a road, then it can be magical. I think it's freakin' awesome so I keep going back.

Here's a few tips I'd give someone new: For your first time, I wouldn't plan on less than $7,000~ per person. After a few trips, you'll get it cheaper than that. I also wouldn't go with more than one other hunter for a moose trip. I would make sure you have plenty of extra time as a "buffer" at the back end (stuff happens- example, I've been weathered in the field for 5 days waiting for a ride). Expect problems to happen and keep a positive attitude, then if things go smoothly, things are even better. In general, Alaskans are good people and very helpful. They don't hate non-residents as much as web forums make it out to be. Be in shape and make sure your partner is too. Don't expect to grab some last minute "stuff" when you get to a village. Finally, remember the transporters in AK are there to make a living not to make your trip a good one... a good transporter will be helpful and provide good service but that isn't always the norm in some places. It's up to you to make your trip a good one.

Sorry for the rambling.

VernAK

WKR
Kevin & KJH have it pegged......I might also add that flying a moose out of the bush can add another grand to the bill.

I have friends that operate bush flight operations and they are hesitant to take on new moose hunting clients because so many just lack
the experience and ability to tolerate bad weather and delays caused by bad weather. You need to be able to hunker down and wait it out without persistent sat phone calls to base. Sat phones don't change Alaska's weather. One of my one week trips turned into 18 days of extreme wind and rain......remember it well as I lost 18 pounds.

So it seems getting a nonresident moose tag is easy and inexpensive in terms of tags elsewhere. What are the other "hidden" cost besides getting to Alaska?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The prices of non-res tags just went up this year, a moose tag is now $800, add $160 for a license.
License, Stamp, and Tag Pricing List, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Hidden costs depend a lot on what type of hunt and where... What were you thinking, drop camp, float?

OP
Y
The prices of non-res tags just went up this year, a moose tag is now $800, add $160 for a license.
License, Stamp, and Tag Pricing List, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Hidden costs depend a lot on what type of hunt and where... What were you thinking, drop camp, float?

No plan. Just wanted to get a hunt in Alaska. Just trying to stay away from guided services due to crazy cost. I'd be open to any kind of hunt. I told my wife I'd divorce her and move up there and never come back. Lol, she said I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk