I'm booking a DIY Alaskan Moose Hunt

OP
Robinhood21
Will be an adventure full of memories! Best of luck and please post a hunt update when you return.

Thank you! I just found out my uncle wants to go with us as well. That's going to be a lot of moose meat.... hopefully. I will definitely make a write up with plenty of pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
All the pics are there right this minute. They are hosted on photobucket according to their link, so what ever system you are using may be blocking the link. Some businesses block all photo sharing sites with their router software.

Photobucket has changed to a pay to host sight. If you dont upgrade, photos will no longer work. So long photobucket.

Atkison

FNG
A buddy and I did a 2016 DIY Alaskan moose hunt. We are from Northwest, MO and are also avid hunters in our area. We both were lucky enough to harvest 60" bulls. We spent 2 years planning and preparing, just as you are. There is a write up about our hunt on here by Cocky84 (successful first alaskan moose hunt) check it out for our gear info.
#1 get yourself an Alaska Airlines credit card. If approved, the sign on bonus air miles will buy you a round trip ticket. You will just have to pay the taxes. In our case that totaled like $27.50!
#2 Take waders! I would recommend a good quality waist wader, such as simms. Pair them with a comfortable wader boot and you'll be glad you did!
#3 study up on antler judging and calling
#4 Absolutely under no circumstances allow you moose to wind up dead in the water! YOU WILL BE SORRY!

It will be an adventure of a lifetime! Feel free to ask any questions you think we may be able to answer. I am no expert by any means, but have "been there done that"!

OP
Robinhood21
Thanks for the tips Atkison! I know it's 3 years away but I'm super pumped. It's going to be a long 3 years! I read your write up a few weeks back. Looks like you guys had a great trip! Awesome bulls man! You guys should be proud.

I'm sure I'll be sending you some pm's in the future with some questions. Even if you aren't an expert, that's probably best for me as I'm in the same situation as you were a few years back.

Thanks again bud!

A buddy and I did a 2016 DIY Alaskan moose hunt. We are from Northwest, MO and are also avid hunters in our area. We both were lucky enough to harvest 60" bulls. We spent 2 years planning and preparing, just as you are. There is a write up about our hunt on here by Cocky84 (successful first alaskan moose hunt) check it out for our gear info.
#1 get yourself an Alaska Airlines credit card. If approved, the sign on bonus air miles will buy you a round trip ticket. You will just have to pay the taxes. In our case that totaled like $27.50!
#2 Take waders! I would recommend a good quality waist wader, such as simms. Pair them with a comfortable wader boot and you'll be glad you did!
#3 study up on antler judging and calling
#4 Absolutely under no circumstances allow you moose to wind up dead in the water! YOU WILL BE SORRY!

It will be an adventure of a lifetime! Feel free to ask any questions you think we may be able to answer. I am no expert by any means, but have "been there done that"!

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I just found out my uncle wants to go with us as well. That's going to be a lot of moose meat.... hopefully. I will definitely make a write up with plenty of pics!

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer or anything but filling 3 moose tags will take a fair amount of work. Walking up on a full grown dead bull moose will leave you speechless. I remember when I killed my first bull, walking up to him and thinking to myself, what in the hell did I just do. Luckily I had several friends that were there to help me deal with it. With big Alaskan bull moose, there is usually no ground shrinkage, actually quite the opposite. Is your hunt a drop camp or float hunt?

OP
Robinhood21
I completely understand this is going to be a lot of work with 3 people trying to take 3 moose. This will be a drop camp hunt. I spoke with a group of 3 that went on this exact hunt and they all shot great moose. I know the odds of all 3 of us taking moose might not be that great but we're up for the challenge. They said it was a tremendous amount of work but worth it. The only person I'm worried about on this hunt is my uncle as I'm not completely sure he understands what all is involved on this hunt. I've sent him numerous videos and articles to watch and read. I'm going to try my hardest to get him up to date on everything so he's prepared.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer or anything but filling 3 moose tags will take a fair amount of work. Walking up on a full grown dead bull moose will leave you speechless. I remember when I killed my first bull, walking up to him and thinking to myself, what in the hell did I just do. Luckily I had several friends that were there to help me deal with it. With big Alaskan bull moose, there is usually no ground shrinkage, actually quite the opposite. Is your hunt a drop camp or float hunt?

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
You'll need to get yourself into the best shape of your life and train packing heavy loads up to 125-140 lbs. Moose quarters are big and bulky and you'll need a solid frame to pack them. Good game bags are a must so don't skimp on them, Larry B's TAG Bags are awesome for keeping your meat dry and clean, I've been using for close to a decade if not a bit longer. I use 2 sets so I can rotate them every couple of days.

Also make sure you have plenty of sharp knives and a good long bladed saw for cutting off those antlers, I've got the small version of the Wyoming Saw and it's not the best for cutting big massive moose skulls so if you decide to go with the Wyoming Saw, get the bigger version. Have plenty of 550 cord on hand too. Good luck with your hunt and feel free to ask any questions and i'll be more than happy to help if I can.

OP
Robinhood21
This place is great, some really good dudes on here willing to help others out. So glad I became a member on this forum. Thanks for the great tips. I was recommended by another to bring a 15" carpenter hand saw. I think that's the route I'm going to take as I shouldn't have to worry about it not being tough enough. I'm sore I'll send a PM or 2 your way when things start coming to fruition. Thanks again!

You'll need to get yourself into the best shape of your life and train packing heavy loads up to 125-140 lbs. Moose quarters are big and bulky and you'll need a solid frame to pack them. Good game bags are a must so don't skimp on them, Larry B's TAG Bags are awesome for keeping your meat dry and clean, I've been using for close to a decade if not a bit longer. I use 2 sets so I can rotate them every couple of days.

Also make sure you have plenty of sharp knives and a good long bladed saw for cutting off those antlers, I've got the small version of the Wyoming Saw and it's not the best for cutting big massive moose skulls so if you decide to go with the Wyoming Saw, get the bigger version. Have plenty of 550 cord on hand too. Good luck with your hunt and feel free to ask any questions and i'll be more than happy to help if I can.

VernAK

WKR
The Stanley 10" Sharptooth mini saw works really well for cutting skull caps and the blade style provides easy access from the back side.

They run about $12 around here.

OP
Robinhood21
The Stanley 10" Sharptooth mini saw works really well for cutting skull caps and the blade style provides easy access from the back side.

They run about $12 around here.

That's exactly what I was thinking but do you think the 10" will be too small? Skull cap is 8-10" wide correct?

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the original version of the Wyoming Saw and it's a little over 11" long and I scrape my knuckles anytime I use this saw to cut off moose antlers. I'd look for something a lot bigger like the Wyoming II, it's just a bit over 18" and would be perfect for this chore. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to get one before this upcoming moose season rolls around.