3 months out to North BC Moose Hunt

270quest

WKR
Getting closer and closer to my date with a Big Northern BC Moose. I leave Sept.12 for my hunt with Gunson Outfitters just a few miles from the Yukon Border...Pretty much got my gear nailed down, almost to were i need to be fitness wise, and have a pretty good handle on the travel/logistics. Wanted to run this by you all to make sure I am on the right track with permits, importing, ect.

1. Going into Canada and Back to US - need a US 4457 Declerations Form showing guns and valuables stamped and signed.
2. Going into Canada - Non Resident Firearm Declerations - Have it filled out but don't sign until at the border. Will also have a $25 fee.
3. Coming back into US - US Fish and Wildlife Deceleration form filled out for moose meat. Also will need my hunting lisc. and tag.
4. Meat cant be cut and wrapped. I will have a freezer in the back of my truck that I will put all moose meat in and process once I am back in the states.

Missing anything here? Outfitter is taking care of hunting lisc. and tags.

Adam

I just got my 4457 form filled out at customs. Put my rifle and spotter on it. The agent told me no need to put anything besides a firearm on unless the item is close to $2000. I will also be bringing several copies of each document along with me to BC this year just in case the original is lost

KJH

WKR
I go to Canada from the US a couple times a year to hunt... I always take firearms. Done it more times than I can count. A few thoughts:

Never, ever once have I been asked for the 4457 nor does anyone on either side of the border care about it. I was told by an annoyed US agent that a simple photo of your items in your house before the trip is more than you could ever need. I stopped doing the forms several years ago now. If it makes you feel better- do it. If not, don't waste your time doing it.

The NR Firearms declaration form- I always fill them out at the border crossing or in the airport customs area. Two weeks ago I went to Canada bear hunting and one of the guys who went with us had it filled out ahead of time because he's the organized type and plans for everything.... They made him hand fill out two copies at the border and wouldn't accept his pre-filled out (unsigned) form. My point is be prepared for whatever they want. A little tip- don't question them if they tell you to hand fill one out... your experience will be better!

The US Customs declaration- US customs required we fill out our forms in front of them in a garage bay while other agents search our trailer in another area. They also wouldn't accept a pre-filled out form on the way home. Never had this before, so I don't know if its permanent or not. If there are no USFWS agents at the crossing station, its a breeze.

The chest freezer in the back of the trailer or truck is my preferred method. I recommend meticulously packaging and labeling everything in there. When the USFWS starts to inspect (maybe 1 out of 10 times you cross), they glance it over and see you have been diligent in following the laws and life is good. They don't bother to dig in it if you have done it so its easy for them to inspect.

My advice is that its good to be prepared, but you'll have to do what they want so be prepared for whatever they throw your way. I also strongly advise you to cross the border in the middle of the night so the USFWS agents are not on duty and it saves you the time it takes for them to search your stuff.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I will driving up through the PORT OF ENTRY at Eastport. Should I expect easy sailing at this entry point?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Last time I crossed the border for a fishing trip one of the guys was joking around and we got to sit and wait for a gear search. My advise is to take it serious and do what they ask. They basically delayed us an hour and sent us on our way.

vlad

Banned
will you be carrying your own cooking gas or you will be buying one there?