Father/Son Newfoundland Moose Hunt

My dad recently turned the calendar page on his 60th birthday. His bucket list hunt is a moose hunt, so I told him I would plan it and save up some money to go with him. I've settled on NF because it appears that while bulls aren't huge on the island, there are more shot opportunities. Anybody have any great experiences with outfitters in Newfoundland? Bad experiences? I probably have $9k I could spend, all in. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
I have no personal experience, but two of my friends are heading up there this September for the 2nd week. I'll let you know what they thought.

OP
wilcogeoff
Thanks ChrisS! Do you know which outfitter they are using?

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I am heading up there this September with my Dad and Father in-law. We are going with Effords Outfitters. It is our first time hunting Moose and also first time in Newfoundland. Good Luck. Conne River also looks like a good outfitter but they were booked up when I called them.

OP
wilcogeoff
Awaldro7 somebody else mentioned Bob Efford and said they had a fantastic hunt. It sounds like you are in for a good time. Good luck and thank you for the reply!

Rob in VT

FNG
What weapon do you plan on using? Are you looking for any size Moose, any bull, trophy bull only? I have been to the Rock 3 times Caribou hunting. I have a moose/bear hunt booked for the last week of Sept 2018 with my daughter. We can't wait.

. . . Rob

Following this post to see the progress and look forward to the trip report. I hope to go soon. 2019?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Went to Newfoundland last Oct with my dad. We killed a pair of nice bulls, him with the rifle and me with my bow. We used MVO outfitters they were excellent from start to finish. We rebooked for 2019 which was his first available opening.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Dries

WKR
I myself am heading up there to go after moose in 3 weeks!! I am going with My dad also and he is 62, we are going through Next Ridge outfitting, from what we were told as I was looking into it make sure you find a guide that flys in by either a Helicopter or floatplane. Effords along with Next Ridge came up time and time again when I was talking with others who had gone.

Wojo14

WKR
Tag
I am interested in this thread.
I went on my first DIY moose hunt in Quebec last Sept. No luck, but a good hunt.
Moose is defiantly my most sawed after animal to chase.
NF would be a relatively easy trip for us East coasters!
Anyone have good luck with bows? I am trad.
~Wojo

Dries

WKR
I returned from a Hunt in Newfoundland . I went with My Dad and a friend of the family, my Dad and Friend of ours were tagged out around noon on the First day of the hunt and I got mine on Tuesday. We logged quite a bit of miles those two days. We all got some good bulls 40-47 inch bulls is what we harvested and a whole lotta meat getting shipped back, Moose we had out there was the best tasting Game meat I have had Excited to get the meat back.

872cea83d2494dc522958fbe2bd44af1.jpg

Bama Van

FNG
All New Foundland hunts are guided. Not legal to hunt as a Non Resident with out a licensed guide. I have hunted in New Foundland 4 times love it, planning on going back in 2018.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I returned from a Hunt in Newfoundland . I went with My Dad and a friend of the family, my Dad and Friend of ours were tagged out around noon on the First day of the hunt and I got mine on Tuesday. We logged quite a bit of miles those two days. We all got some good bulls 40-47 inch bulls is what we harvested and a whole lotta meat getting shipped back, Moose we had out there was the best tasting Game meat I have had Excited to get the meat back.

872cea83d2494dc522958fbe2bd44af1.jpg

Congratulations on the nice bull! Me, My father, and father in-law just returned from a Newfoundland moose hunt last week. We hunted 5 days and I never saw a single moose! We were all three unsuccessful for moose. My dad did shoot a Boone and Crocket Black Bear though!

OP
wilcogeoff
So we ended up booking with Bob Efford in late September of 2018. We are both going to rifle hunt. I will post pics when we return. It's definitely not a trophy trip. I love big animals but especially on trips like this, I would rather come home with a kill than hold out for the possibility of a monster.

Dries

WKR
Dries,

Was this a DIY, outfitted, or guided? Any specifics you'd be willing to share?

It was a fully guided hunt. Talking with a lot of people if you want a good experience look at an outfit that uses either a Helicopter or float plane to get away from local pressure.
I decided on Next Ridge because of a lot of local people in West Michigan have gone there and had success. I have heard great things about Arluk outfitter, Ironbound and Effords.

Bama Van

FNG
May I as what outfitter you hunted with? I have been 4 times and have never been and not seen multiple moose, just want to make sure I don't make a poor choice of who I hunt with, because I am thinking about trying a different outfitter in a different area ( more northern). thanks
My question is directed to AWALDRO7

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
May I as what outfitter you hunted with? I have been 4 times and have never been and not seen multiple moose, just want to make sure I don't make a poor choice of who I hunt with, because I am thinking about trying a different outfitter in a different area ( more northern). thanks
My question is directed to AWALDRO7

PM sent.

Trial153

WKR
We hunted with MVO. second the fly in camps being a must in NF ..gets you away from local pressure. We had a great hunt can't wait yo go back in 2019.