BC vs Newfoundland

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Based on all that I have read British Columbia is more expensive and has bigger moose. Newfoundland is cheaper and you have a greater chance at a moose. I am going to Newfoundland this September and hope that I can make it to BC one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt in BC. There's a substantial amount of large bulls in the northern regions if you're willing to work for them. I will warn you, some of that land can beat the heck out of you if you aren't ready!!

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm aware of the giant moose in northern bc. But I'm also aware of the price tag. Which is above my hunting budget. So I guess my question is... if I'm not going to northern BC. Which I'm not. Should I just fast track it and just look at Newfoundland.

tater

WKR
I think you need to start with the question: "What kind of hunt am i looking for?". Is it about hanging a tag on any bull moose? Is it about the overall experience of remote locations? Is it about scenery? Is it about a big bull?
Let's be honest. Some folks just like to go and kill an animal and get the t-shirt. Others look at it as an adventure. Once in a lifetime, perhaps for some.
Next is budget (which it sounds like you have done).

If it is a "whack 'em stack 'em" for moose, Newfoundland all the way. Highest density in the world the last time i looked. Will it be a wild and memorable experience? Perhaps.

If this was 20 years ago i would have said that Central BC would have been the beautiful compromise: Remote enough, good populations and reasonable prices. Those days are gone. There are some pockets of opportunity in the Southern part of the province. Not as remote. More rugged. More competition from locals. Not the opportunities in the North. And i will tell you now in all earnestness that if you ever want to hunt moose in northern BC i would strongly urge you to do it sooner rather than later.

As population densities and politics shift, i firmly believe the days of liberal non-resident quotas will disappear within the next five to ten years.

Trial153

WKR
My father and I had a great hunt in NF last fall. Reupped for 2019 can't wait to get back up to the rock.

AXEL

WKR
BC, where I live, was born, worked in resource agencies for decades and started hunting in 1964, is NO LONGER the "Shangri-La" of hunting it used to be. Massive, "non-traditional" immigration, with considerable poaching, huge predator pop. increases, little control and major slaughter by one certain group, protected by both federal and provincial governments have devastated game populations.

IMHO, I would choose NFLD, even over northern BC and not only due to the VERY high costs of hunting in BC. IF, you can afford it, have lots of time and can cope with the often brutal country, cold, horses, etc. then come here and give it your best, but, it is NOT as easy as it was 10-20 years ago and resident competition in remote areas is FAR greater.

Best of luck, get in SHAPE!

Bama Van

FNG
I love hunting New Foundland , I have been 4 times harvested 2 moose (11 points -44" & 36") and a 22 point caribou , I passed on 5 moose last year trying to kill a bigger one. The only trip I dint see a moose on was the one I harvested the Caribou on , but my buddy killed a 22 point 52" bull moose on that trip , hunting with my guide in the spots we had hunted the first 3 days after I left Spike camp to go t main camp to hunt Caribou. LOL I am going back next year to hunt them again , I use to only want to chase giant Whitetail with a bow but I have got hooked on Moose!!!! Not only is the hunt a true adventure, the animals are majestic and beautiful and the meat is 2nd. to none IMO..

Dries

WKR
I think we're going to NF. On a fly in hunt.

I just got back from a Newfoundland fly in trip and had a great time! We went with Next Ridge Outfitting Company and the three of us that went all Harvested really good bulls and best part is the meat is fantastic!!

Bama Van

FNG
I just got back from a Newfoundland fly in trip and had a great time! We went with Next Ridge Outfitting Company and the three of us that went all Harvested really good bulls and best part is the meat is fantastic!!

So were they rutting good while your were there? Looks like you were hunting the last week of September correct? I have hunted the First 2 weeks of October , never that last week of September so I was wondering if you were getting a lot of calling and rutting activity.

Last edited:

Dries

WKR
So were they rutting good while your were there? Looks like you were hunting the last week of September correct? I have hunted the First 2 weeks of October , never that last week of September so I was wondering if you were getting a lot of calling and rutting activity.

They actually were just starting to Rut. Some bulls were responding to calls and some weren't. We actually hunted the week of September 17-25. We had a nice crisp morning with frost the first day and that helped a ton!