16B Transporters

AlaskaEd

WKR
Alaska GMU 16B Transporters

So I have an any bull draw tag for 16B (across the Cook Inlet from Anchorage and Kenai) that I accidentally put in for. I had my A and B confused. Well I'd mostly written off going for it due to access issues but I'm exploring the possibilities again. I talked to a couple air transporters a few months ago but they were charging more than I was willing to pay. Now I've decided to do my best to make it out there, and will probably sell a few things to fund it.

Anyone know of a good transporter that doesn't charge a flat rate fee? I don't necessarily have a specific spot in mind, but I'd like to get out of the swamps if I fly. As of now I'm going solo, so I definitely can't get too far from the landing site.

What about a boat transport? Is that even an option?

Last edited:

Maverick940

Banned
Did you talk to Joe Hudson? I occasionally use Joe in my operation and I've never been disappointed. He's a great guy (personally) and an extremely safe pilot. Joe does a predominate portion of his flying within GMU 16 and he's conveniently located on the edge of the unit.

OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
Thanks, I just talked to him. He seems like a pretty good guy but he's all booked up. Charges tach time too, which is nice. He's got my number and will keep me in mind for cancellations.

Do you use anyone else in that area?

Maverick940

Banned
Thanks, I just talked to him. He seems like a pretty good guy but he's all booked up. Charges tach time too, which is nice. He's got my number and will keep me in mind for cancellations.

Do you use anyone else in that area?

No, I don't use anyone else that services GMU 16.

Ray

WKR
Hawk Mountain Air might work for hours rather than flat fee.

Have you called any of the Soldotna/Kenai based air services? Hours wise they might be end up being the most affordable if you plan on staying close to the inlet.

OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
I haven't started just calling around yet, I was hoping someone had a good word or recommendation. I'll probably start making calls and sending emails soon. I previously talked to one down on Kenai but the price seemed high fo what was probably a 30 min or less flight.

OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
Looks like Hawk Mountain Air is going to get me out there. 7 day solo moose hunt here I come! I'll be leaving a week after returning from my (up to) 2 week solo sheep hunt. I guess I'm gonna have a lot of time to myself soon!

Ed, sounds like you need a hunting partner! haha

Best of luck on your fall hunts, hopefully you are able to have some success. We saw a lot of moose while flying in 16B this past spring, unreal actually.

OP
A

AlaskaEd

WKR
Yeah, I could use one of those for sure. That's a disadvantage of getting good draw tags I guess. I don't mind too much, especially for moose, that just means I keep everything.

I'm pretty hopeful for 16B. I've hunted the swamps of 16A for years, and usually see several non-shooters per day. Hopefully this any-bull tag will get filled the day after I land.

Ed, sounds like
you need a hunting partner! haha

Best of luck on your fall hunts, hopefully you are able to have some success. We saw a lot of moose while flying in 16B this past spring, unreal actually.