Strategy for drop camp and no elevated glass spots?

geriggs

WKR
We are going with papa bear in 2 months and Im super stoked for my dream trip. We will have a boat and will be on a lake. Dont know how big the lake will be. I'm guessing just a decent amount of calling and covering ground but not too far from camp or boat (or where we can get a boat into). Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Call loud and call often... find a tree to climb up if you can, but glassing isn't mandatory (though it would sure be nice!). Best of luck, you guys will probably have an awesome trip.

mcseal2

WKR
Please let us know how it goes and any tips you have. I'm going with Papa Bear in 2018. It will be my first moose hunt so I'm learning all I can.

Hunt at first light. Hunt when they get up for their mid afternoon snack, and hunt em late.

cnelk

WKR
We flew in to a remote lake last fall with very little glassing places.
All We did for 2 days was grunt and thrash trees 200yds from camp.
By day 3 we were covered up with moose, both cows and bulls
Day 5 I killed a 60+" 400yds from the lake shore - 35yd shot with a 375 H&H did the trick

bowuntr

WKR
I've done two lake trips like you are doing and will be going on my 3rd in 41 days. Call and go after them... If you're hunting with a rifle you should be able to kill it if you see it. I'm going to be much more aggressive on this trip... Good luck. Ed F

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
good info thanks. Im pretty sure im bringing the rifle. I want to kill one with my bow pretty bad, but I dont want to lessen my odds as this may be my only trip to AK for moose.

bowuntr

WKR
What Nick said about climbing a tree to glass is spot-on. Bring a few tree steps which might help you get into one of the bigger trees. One other thing, if you really want one with a bow I'd suggest leaving your rifle at home... that's just me. Ed F

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Call and thrash brush sporadically throughout the day and night. Minimize walking around that will result in spreading your scent

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
I hear ya about leaving rifle at home but my desire to kill a bull with anything overrides my desire to kill one with a bow....for now. I still have 7 weeks to decide.

What Nick said about climbing a tree to glass is spot-on. Bring a few tree steps which might help you get into one of the bigger trees. One other thing, if you really want one with a bow I'd suggest leaving your rifle at home... that's just me. Ed F

mcseal2

WKR
As much of a thrill as taking one with a bow would be, I think I want to use a big bullet and break the shoulders on a moose. If we find one in a good spot I want to kill him right there, not where he decides to die. Two of us are going together and where the first bull dies will have a big impact on the other guy's hunting time. If it is a decent spot to butcher in and pack-out from it will save a lot of time getting that moose taken care of so we can hunt the second one. This might be a once in a lifetime trip for us and it would be awesome for both of us to get decent bulls.

I hunted flat ground last year and had great success. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk on the phone about strategy.
f80b1d0a18c5f67f172f3f115ed150aa.jpg
a63e24de6d7a51d53a9bc0f6dc06e5b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Here is a sub-legal Alaska bull that we called into 8 steps last fall

DSCN8176 - YouTube

What a rush not knowing if its a legal bull or not as he comes thru the bush grunting, breaking branches right to you

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Nice, that one is legal where we are going. I wouldn't be against shooting it, especially later in the hunt.

Here is a sub-legal Alaska bull that we called into 8 steps last fall

DSCN8176 - YouTube

What a rush not knowing if its a legal bull or not as he comes thru the bush grunting, breaking branches right to you

Droptine

FNG
I will be flying out with Renfro on sept 10th. Is there any use in taking a spotting scope in this area? A lot of weight if it won't be much use, I have a high end pair of 10x42 binos.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Most things I have read about the area is to leave your spotter at home. No a lot of places to do glassing. Even the ooutfitter said its not needed. We are flying into Bethel on the 13th. Leaving on the 29th.