Guns/Optics/Loads settled in for my trip

270quest

WKR
The last couple weeks I have been finalizing my loads and shooting - a bunch! So as of today with it being 50 days out till I leave to go chase Monster Moose, Mountain Caribou, and possibly a Grizz - Here is what is going with me on the guns/ammo/optics side:

1. Weatherby Vanguard DGR - 375 H&H, w/ McMillan Sako Classic and Timney Trigger w/ Leupold VXR - 2-7X33
2. - Barnes 270 grain TSX behind 72.5 of Reloader 15 for average of 2675 FPS and 3/4" 100 yard groups
3. "Backup Scope" to be carried in my pack in a cardboard shipping tube - 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest (will have 1" talley ringmounts in as well)
4. Leica Geovid HD RF binocs - 10X42
5. Leica Televid 20-60-77 Spotter

The only thing that is a somewhat tossup is the spotter. When I get to camp, we will make the final decision to take it or leave it at camp. If I leave it at camp, I have a light tripod and bracket to mount the Geovids to the tripod - which makes for an awesome glassing setup.

optics.jpg

AlaskaEd

WKR
Depending on your area (I don't know the rules where you're going) the spotter is pretty valuable for analyzing browtines from a distance. That can sometimes make that smaller bull legal. I have a 33" rack with 3 browtines, they were impossible to see from a distance with binos. I keep a small spotter (30 power) with me for that reason. I don't really think the backup scope is necessary, especially is you have the irons. Just make sure you have a way to remove.

Also, good choice in cartridge!

Last edited:

stevevan

WKR
Very nice set-up. Hard to beat that Classic .375. Take a spotter with you in the field. Your guide will have one, however I've always wanted my own so there was no reason to share. You have great glass in that Leica, maybe better than what the guide will be using. It would be a shame to leave behind. I also agree with your decision to take a pre-sighted back up scope. I've always backed a spare with me on those adventure hunts. Never had to use the back up but it's good insurance and cheap piece of mind. Have an enjoyable hunt. P.S. I leave too in about 50 days and counting for my 4th sub species of moose. Eastern Canada moose in Newfoundland.

Schism

WKR
Looks like a pretty solid setup to me. Since your rifle has open sights, is a backup scope necessary? Not a criticism but an honest question. I'll be in Alaska moose hunting this fall and a backup scope wasn't something I had planned for.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm heading out September 1st. I'm taking a Winchester m70 extreme loaded with federal 200g trophy bonded bear claws. No extra scope. Maybe I should. I have a vx3i that I could just slap on easily enough.

I just returned from my moose hunt in Northern Alaska. Packed my Spotting Scope almost every day on a 10 day hunt.
Never took it out of my day pack. Never even looked through it the whole trip.

For the area I was in I guess it just wasn't critical. But it wasn't so heavy that I really regretted carrying it (except for the really steep parts!)

SFH