Mt 301 moose

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
After trying for 21 years I finally drew a moose tag in my home state of Montana. I drew an area that I bow hunted for elk while I was in college but that was 20+ years ago and thought I would throw out a line to see if anyone would bite. I would be interested to hear what drainages might be worth my time to scout and hunt and what ones might be better left alone. I have never hunted moose before but have been reading about it a fair amount lately. It seems the best time to find the bigger bulls is during the pre-rut through the rut when they are more vocal and can be called in more easily. I have been led to believe that the moose rut in MT is similar to the elk rut in that it should be happening between the middle of September to the first part of October.

My plan is to spend the next several weekends down there and try to learn as much about the country as I can. I think that I will try and do a lot of glassing early and late and try and find the cows as I figure when the rut starts to kick in the bulls should start to show up. I also wouldn't mind trying to get into the upper ends of some of the drainages to see if I cant find some different bulls to look at too.

I guess I am just looking for a little advice to see if my plan seems like it will work and if any of you would do anything different.

thanks in advance..

RJP

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the PMs fellas much appreciated. I'll be sure to post pics as everything draws nearer

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
[Again thanks for the info, was lucky enough to shoot a 36" bull with great fronts and big ass paddles. If I can figure out how to post a pic a will.