42 days and heading to AK

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
we are bringing an ultra lite and some spoons. hoping to do some fishing.

Huntfun

FNG
Leaving MI to AK in 17 days for my first AK hunt where I will meet my hunting partner for the first time. We'll be in the bush in 18 days hunting in 19. Sent the majority of my gear out already. Sending Arrows out soon. Longbows will travel with me. Have 12 days to make it happen.

Longbows and big bulls...right there is a combination that unlocks my imagination. I've been pursuing moose with my longbow for years and can think of no better weapon. There is NOTHING that compares to a huge rutting bull up close and personal. I've been 4 feet from a bull and it was literally breathtaking. One year we had a monstrous behemoth walk right into camp just after dark. We were outside the tent with flashlights looking at this Jurassic Park creature...and he was just on the opposite side of our tent. I live to get close to them.

This bull was taken off a knee with a 6 yard upward shot into the chest.

LE1BlsS.jpg

VernAK

WKR
Atta Boy Kevin.......don't invite those from the Lesser 48......it takes too long to find that great hunting spot.

But if they bribe you enough.....what the hell!

Kevin lives the real life.. doesn't share well tho.. never been invited.. not once!

Danny....I apologize. Every time I thought about it I somehow got distracted by the pictures of your fine bulls killed there. I need to focus. ;)

Atta Boy Kevin.......don't invite those from the Lesser 48......it takes too long to find that great hunting spot.

But if they bribe you enough.....what the hell!

Well to be truthful...the last 2 years were an anomaly for me. In 2015 and 2016 my friend (and pilot) told me he simply couldn't take another guy in to the places he was flying me. It was go-alone or stay-at-home and of course the LAST thing I'm doing is staying at home! But for 2017 I did talk to a number of friends and make them the offer. None of them had ever been on an Alaska moose adventure and the majority declined the offer. One of those good men did decide to go and so I'm going in with a well-qualified bowman on his first moose hunt. I shared. A different friend is going with me in '18 (first AK moose hunt) and probably beyond. And though I enjoy bribes...especially the liquid kind which originate from Kentucky corn...they aren't really necessary at all. I look forward to helping these good guys get their opportunity at a big bull.

I suppose where I hunt is and isn't a secret. The guys who helped open the door for me MANY years ago held me to a promise of not revealing our locations. So I keep my promises. But even if everyone knew exactly where I was it really wouldn't matter. The only way there is by Super Cub. The LZ is terribly rough and risky. The logistics are difficult for both pilot and hunter. I saw exactly NO bush planes fly through last year in 15 days of solo hunting. That is the loneliest valley I've ever walked in....and I love it.

15 to go.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
We leave next Thursday for moose camp near Delta Junction, i'll be helping my buddy to try and get his first bull moose, he shot a nice fat cow on Ft Rich last year with his bow. I won't be pursuing any moose unless it's a really big one since I drew a Ft Rich moose any bull tag (archery also). Good luck to all you moose hunters.

Kevin knows i'm full of it. Good luck to all and be safe.

One Question for Kevin. When did you stop being afraid of the dark enough to sleep in Alaska by yourself?

Last edited:
Kevin knows i'm full of it. Good luck to all and be safe.

One Question for Kevin. When did you stop being afraid of the dark enough to sleep in Alaska by yourself?

And Danny knows we're friends even if we've never shared a camp or a wobble pop. Good guys can relate.

Funny thing about the dark out there in the bush. I've never ever felt fear or dread related to night and darkness. I've been awakened a time or 3 by night noises but they never turned into anything bad. I've had wolves howl within 75 yards of the camp and found fresh tracks in the snow come morning.

3h3xEv8.jpg

This grizz track was about 70 yards from my camp last year:

zKDnobX.jpg

My wife and all my friends think I'm a little strange...that things like this don't keep me awake. I usually sleep pretty sound and dream like crazy.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Good luck to all. For someone who has never hunted in grizz or wolf country.....it will be a little different to say the least