Canadian customs (rifle)

SURVEYOR

FNG
Hello Im headed to BC next week on a moose hunt. Everything that Ive been told is that going through customs with a bolt action rifle and basic hunting knives is pretty easy. However I would like to hear some comments or concerns from some of you who have passed through recently.

Thanks

wyosteve

WKR
I haven't gone through in a few years, and then it was from No. Dak. into Manitoba, but no problem. Took about 10 mins. to fill out paperwork, pay the fee and have them inspect the rifle.

Went thru with my bow recently and zero headaches. Just a simple form to complete and you can (and should) review it on youtube so you fill it out right.

This is my very first post (to any forum ever), however I live in Northern NY up near Ontario Canada and have crossed the boarder numerous times to moose hunt. Process was very simple each time and it helps to have your paper work filled out ahead of time. LEAVE your firearms in the case LOCKED and follow the instructions given to you by the Boarder Patrol. In simple terms your going to go inside, turn in (or fill out) your form stating your make, model, caliber, barrel length, and action type ect. Also if I recall they wanted the name of the Outfitter and or guide service you were using. Pay your fee, I want to say it was $50-ish for up to 3 guns. The one thing I would caution you about is be sure what you're bringing to BC is legal there. This sounds obvious but something like a Ruger 10/22 take down with a 16" barrel that might be a nice camp gun here in the states is NOT ok with our friends in the North. None of the times I crossed the boarder did they look at or even care to see the firearms however they do want to ensure LOCKED cases. Best of luck.

Here is a link with some useful information:

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

ALW

All they want is your money. We left the rifles in the car !! Walked into a big building, down 3 different hallways, down an elevator. Into the customs office, and they reviewed the applications, took our money, and sent us on our way. They couldn't care less about seeing guns, serial #'s, nothing. All they want to see is green.

and if you read the application, you can bring a hand gun.

EastMT

WKR
A few years ago you could print the form online and have it filled out. I went through with 8 rifles moving to AK, $25 fee, they didn't even look at them. US side pulled them all out and checked serial numbers against paperwork.

GKPrice

Banned
All they want is your money. We left the rifles in the car !! Walked into a big building, down 3 different hallways, down an elevator. Into the customs office, and they reviewed the applications, took our money, and sent us on our way. They couldn't care less about seeing guns, serial #'s, nothing. All they want to see is green.

and if you read the application, you can bring a hand gun.

all 3 times I've crossed at Aldergrove they looked at the guns, checked ser #'s against the paperwork and asked if the guns were unloaded - It all depends on who you get I think ...... never have had a lick of trouble though

AXEL

WKR
NO, if you are hunting here, with an outfitter, DO NOT even think about bringing a handgun into BC/Canada!

You WILL be apprehended, lose your handgun and maybe all your other guns and sent back to the USA, quite possibly banned from further entry to Canada. You could be arrested and charged and the officials know all the tricks.

Entries for target shooting events are VERY carefully and thoroughly monitored and the RCMP, are NOT pleasant to anyone caught trying to bring pistolas here for any purpose which are also intended to shoot Grouse on big game trips.

We now have a VERY "gun unfriendly" government in BC and in Canada, the risks are just not worth it.

I hate this, but, what can ya do?

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from Canada with shotguns and it was painless. We flew into Regina. We had the forms pre-filled and unsigned. Bring 2 copies - they keep one and you keep one with you.

We also went to US Customs before we left and had them give us a stamped form stating that we legally owned our guns before leaving for Canada. We needed to show these to US Customs upon returning. I think they want that to prove you didn’t buy them in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk