Canada moose hunt

Djacker

WKR
Anyone have a good outfitter in Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Ontario? I'm wanting to do a moose hunt, but can't stomach the price to get a bull home from alaska. I live in centeral minnesota, so i would plan on driving as far as possible to bring home as much meat as possible. Im open to bow or a rifle hunt, thanks to everyone in advance.

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Slate Falls Outposts, out of Sioux Lookout, Ontario. I've personally ever fished with them, our family has been going to Slate Falls for over 10 years. We always see moose when fishing and his hunters usually tag out. A guy from our group is moose hunting with them right now. I can report back once he comes back home. Verne, the owner of Slate Falls, is great. He is a no BS type of guy and runs a great outfit.

rlmmarine

WKR
Also check out webbers outfitters they due moose hunts as well as caribou. I haven't hunted moose with them but caribou was great and a couple of my camp mates had used them for archery moose and said great things about them and showed me pictures of their kill

If you really want a moose, call Byron at Diamond T and request Jared as your guy. Say you read a comment online that the 10K price was cut to 6K and see if it's still available. I got back from this hunt on Labor Day and had multiple shot opportunities before dropping mine. You can hunt muleys and elk too. Northwestern Alberta is where ya wanna be. Zero hunting prerssure.

View attachment 58102

This is Jared...eyes of a hawk and legs of a giraffe. LOL

View attachment 58105

Dries

WKR
Some too look into in Ontario is an outfitter I seen on Archers choice and that is Kashabowie outfitters, another one that gets good reviews on Bowsite is a 1,000 lakes outpost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
How much do you think it costs to get a bull home from AK? I'm not trying to talk you out of a Canadian hunt, but the moose racks are generally smaller in MB, ON, and SK... The meat is the same...

There are several ways to get it home from AK and I know of 3 ways that are much cheaper than the tag and license it costs to shoot it. Getting meat home isn't hard like some lead you to believe if you plan ahead a little. If you went to AK you can do a DIY hunt, whereas I believe you must use an outfitter/guide as a non-resident alien in all 3 of those provinces listed.

You can put 500 lbs of boned out meat (or 400lbs and a raw hide) in cheapo coolers and a set of antlers on Alaska Airlines as checked baggage for $450 back to the lower 48. Its cold and perfect when you get home. You don't have any additional hassle other then simply taking home when you get back to the airport.

You can use an air cargo service and expediter plus get a lot more weight to it for about $700-$800.

You can have it hauled back to the lower 48 in a freezer truck for about $750, but then you have to meet the guy to pick it up.

My real point is that the cost of getting the meat home from AK doesn't seem like something that should be a stand alone deciding factor.

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
KJH

That is a lot more reasonable than I had read about. Sounds like you have done it a few times? An Alaska moose hunt is on my bucket list, no matter how big it is. Thanks for the info

KJH

WKR
KJH

That is a lot more reasonable than I had read about. Sounds like you have done it a few times? An Alaska moose hunt is on my bucket list, no matter how big it is. Thanks for the info

I just did it a couple weeks ago. Its not as bad as you think.

Droptine

FNG
I shipped my moose home on the truck. Cost $215 to get moose from bethel to anchorage and $750 from anchorage to within 3 hrs of the house. There is four full quarters and 3 loose meat bags, cape and horns. Looking back I would have just done euro mount and took rack home on plane and still done meat on the truck for $500 probably. Lots of options and I learned a lot on my first trip.

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy got home last week. There were 3 hunters in there group, they had 2 bull tags and a cow tag. They only filled one of the bull tags, but had a blast and are looking to go back. He said thy didn’t see any cows, saw a couple bulls, but were holding out for something nice. Got on one the last day but couldn’t close the distance. The outfitter’s cost per man was $5000. This included tags, camp, one guide, float plane flights and animal pickup services. After their bull hit the ground the outfitter flew in, loaded up the quartered bull and flew him to town for processing. My friend said the processor did an amazing job, but it was an extra cost. I’ve not looked into these hunts so I don’t know if this was a decent price. I do know my friend said he had a blast and is going back.View attachment 59004