I take a Texan floatin.........

Great stuff! Nice to see a man be successful with his bow, congrats to Shawn! Looks like a nice place to spend a week or two. See any bears?

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Great stuff! Nice to see a man be successful with his bow, congrats to Shawn! Looks like a nice place to spend a week or two. See any bears?

We did not,, but one of the other groups saw a Grizzly sow and cubs.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
That's awesome! and so much gear!!

After a couple weeks with only a pack,, I like HEAVY camping. The Arctic Oven tent with the propane Nuwave stove is so nice. I ran the stove all night every night. We got out in 2 HEAVY loads. Another pair of hunters who floated in a small raft with a PR49 tied to it,, killed the bull I showed the picture of. They lived on Mountain House, a small tent on the ground sleeping cold and they still paid for 2 loads.

I told Shawn going in I was going to be warm and cozy,, I may have even stayed in a cold morning or two. :)

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
All of your gear and both of you guys fit into that raft comfortably?

Yes,, the Levitator will float 3K,, two guys with gear and two bulls. This was a light load with the smaller bull.

Much larger bull in this photo,,

abJ9XJrh.jpg

Very cool! A comfortable camp would be nice to look forward to after a few sheep hunts earlier in they year. I think a guy can hunt way harder when he has a nice place to return to in the evening as well. Looks like it all worked out, congrats again!

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Well done Mr. Steve. Your pictures and stories are something I always look forward to and I appreciate you taking the time for your write-ups. Congrats on another adventure and taking someone who im certain appreciates your efforts.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Even though hurricane Irma slowed us down we still had a great trip. Was a win, win win, for me. Made a new friend, cleared a favor owed, and got to share in that first time excitement. Even got some really fine meat for the freezer and was able to share with some folks that did not catch a moose. Shawn got to take home 2 totes with 99 lbs each of frozen boned out meat and a 36 inch set of antlers to remember the trip by. He got a pretty good intro on how to do a remote moose float, with all the meat care and such. He brought some cheap game bags and got to see what was really required. I bet he will be back. :)

I may have even corrupted him by feeding him a sheep burger. :)

He about ate his fingers,, add mushrooms to this one.

oYFjyomh.jpg

....that looks tasty! Hard to beat a sheep burger. That meat is worth the pain and sometimes uncomfortable situations sheep hunting entails.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
That Levitator is a great boat, I used rented one from Larry in 07 and we had a nice comfy camp (not as nice as yours) as well. We managed to bag a 52"er about mid way through the hunt that had drop tines on both sides of the brows.

I've got to admit, I've become accustomed to nice big comfy camps for moose over the last 10 years or so and don't know if I could hunt moose any other way. Congrats on a great trip and meat in the freezer!

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The roll-a-cots are nice to sleep on, but I also use them to bridge the tubes and load meat on, the mesh is a coated type and blood and water wipes off. Have used them to keep meat off and aired while waiting to fly.

217pSswh.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
Always love your trip reports and appreciate the time you take to photograph and document them for many others to live vicariously through you. Well done!