7mm-08 For Moose

Anyone use 7mm-08 for Moose?
I have used it for Bear & Elk with great success. 140 gr Nosler Partition is very destructive, so destructive, they don't go more than 30 yards. I have seen heart & lungs totally destroyed. Not even sure how they went 30 yards.

The exit hole is small, so the blood trail is limited. That's my only concern, besides 140 is the heaviest.

AlaskaEd

WKR
If that's what you have and you put it in the right spot, it'll work, and the moose will die. No question about that.

I'd recommend something larger however. In my experience, moose don't go far (if you don't chase them) but they can take a while to die. All that time that takes them to bleed out and die is time that stress and adrenaline gets into the meat. I want the moose to bleed out as quick as possible, hence why I use a 375. With that said, folks have killed moose with 223 and all sorts of pistols, but that's just not for me.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I would use it if you choose a partition, Tsx, ttsx, or accubond. It's basically just a 7mag minus 150 yards. Limit your shots to 250 yards max. I have never understood how people think something like a 7 mag can be plenty at 600 yards but a 7-08 at 100 is not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Short Track
It's basically just a 7mag minus 150 yards. I have never understood how people think something like a 7 mag can be plenty at 600 yards but a 7-08 at 100 is not enough.

It's a 7 mag without the mag recoil :p

I can sit at the range for an hour, and it doesn't bother me :cool:
That's why I use it extensively.

But I know some guides prefer these ridiculous calipers, that I cannot shoot. Don't want to shoot. Etc, etc.

wytx

WKR
Took my last shiras with a 270 wsm loaded with 140 gr bullets. He went right down, no tracking. Just make a good shot. A bonded bullet would be my choice.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I would use it if you choose a partition, Tsx, ttsx, or accubond. It's basically just a 7mag minus 150 yards. Limit your shots to 250 yards max. I have never understood how people think something like a 7 mag can be plenty at 600 yards but a 7-08 at 100 is not enough.

Perhaps because the 7 mag has about 500 more ft lbs of energy than the 08 at 100 yards and well beyond.
The 7-08 wouldn't be my first choice but with good bullets and good shot placement it will do the trick, eventually. Hopefully the moose won't wander into a lake before it dies.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Perhaps because the 7 mag has about 500 more ft lbs of energy than the 08 at 100 yards and well beyond.
The 7-08 wouldn't be my first choice but with good bullets and good shot placement it will do the trick, eventually. Hopefully the moose won't wander into a lake before it dies.

I believe his point was some folks would scoff at using a 7mm-08 at 100yds on a moose but not at using a 7mag at 300+ type situation where the energy/velocity/etc. is on par (and declining the further out the 7mag is shot). Obviously at the same exact distances yes the mag is certainly more but that wasn't what was said.

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine's wife killed a big mature cow Moose. Shiras..with a 7mm-08 using a core lock bullet shot it at about 65 yards through the Boiler Room.. the cow went about 30 yards fell over dead

slvrslngr

WKR
Use what you have confidence in. Put the bullet where it will kill and you'll be throwing moose steaks on the bbq!

lcpaul22

FNG
The 7mm-08 is just fine for moose. A well placed shot with this cartridge is much better than a poorly placed shot with a larger one.

Dries

WKR
I just returned from a moose hunt in Newfoundland with two other fellows. 2 of us used .375 H&H and the other used a .300 WSM.
We each put a few rounds into them and I tell you what them animals can take some Lead to the vitals!! Our guides kept telling us to shoot till they were down and average shot distance was 200 or so yards. I would opt for heavier bullets and maybe 30 caliber.

OP
Short Track
Do they run when hit, or just stand there waiting to be shot again ?

I know Elk, Deer & Bear... anything.... if you get more than 1 shot into them, you're lucky.

cnelk

WKR
Hell ya they run

I shot my B&C Colorado Shiras with my 340 Weatherby, 225 gr Trophy Bonds and last year I shot my 60+ inch Alaskan moose with a 375 H&H w/ 259 gr bullets

Both moose absorbed the first shot into the vitals and ran and another shot to the vitals was sent before going down.

Good advice above, 'Shoot til they go down'