7mm-08 For Moose

lcpaul22

FNG
Do they run when hit, or just stand there waiting to be shot again ?

I know Elk, Deer & Bear... anything.... if you get more than 1 shot into them, you're lucky.

During the rut I have had several moose stand in place when hit, trying to figure out where the cow went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they run when hit, or just stand there waiting to be shot again ?

I know Elk, Deer & Bear... anything.... if you get more than 1 shot into them, you're lucky.

That's next to impossible to know for sure. Some swear by bigger is better. I know my moose took a 300gr A Frame through the middle of the lungs and ran 200 yards and didn't finally drop for 5 min. Some moose drop right there with a 25-06. I think as long as the hit is good with a decent bullet, the moose will die.

Anyone use 7mm-08 for Moose?
I have used it for Bear & Elk with great success. 140 gr Nosler Partition is very destructive, so destructive, they don't go more than 30 yards. I have seen heart & lungs totally destroyed. Not even sure how they went 30 yards.

The exit hole is small, so the blood trail is limited. That's my only concern, besides 140 is the heaviest.

My son shot this one last month with his 7–08, 140 gr. Barnes TTSX, one shot kill at about 30-40 yards, but it did run a couple hundred yards and the blood trail was nonexistent.
bdcd3bc7b90920eca229a95a7719800a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Short Track
I'm amazed at how much winter fur on an Elk can soak up blood. So I'm sure Moose are the same way. My buddy lost an Elk with a decent shot from a .270. The blood was there.... for a while, then dried up.