Simms wader field repair question

mcseal2

WKR
For those who use these what do you use to repair them in the field? I'm asking for the 10 day moose hunt I will be on next year. I see Simms has a repair kit available. I always pack a tube of Seam Grip in my repair kit also, is one better and are both needed? Thanks.

Also is the Freestone pant and boot enough for Alaska, or should I step up to the G3 pant and boot? I will likely only need it to perform without fail on this one trip. I'll probably use them catfishing around home for when the boat gets stuck or it's raining after this trip, but a failure on a Midwestern spring or summer fishing trip isn't the end of the world. The Freestone would be plenty good for that I'd think.

Thanks for the help.

Davebuech

WKR
Seam grip will work so will Aqua seal. I prefer the latter.

No comment on the Freestones as I have no experience. G3's are plenty tough and durable. I have many seasons use out of mine and still going strong but then again Im not Moose hunting in them, just fly fishing.

Gumbo

WKR
G3 all the way, it is a far burlier wader. They will come with a patch kit. I'd also get some Loon outdoors UV wader repair and a UV cure light. It will fix most punctures instantly.

Trial153

WKR
some good Advise. I have the older guide version of the g3 without the pockets to save weight. they been bullet proof.

G3’s are the way
Tenacious tape patch, seam seal with gorilla tape,

Even taken plastic fishing worms and melted them

duchntr

WKR
The g3's are certainly burlier but I'm not sure id recommend them over the freestone if your only going to use them occasionally like a trip a year, but for long term heavy use get the g3's. As for boots I've uses the freestones until they wore out and am now using the rivertek boa's both are great. For field repair aqua seal uv is where its at for quick fixes because it dries so quick.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
A local guy offered me his Freestone wader pants and boots that he used on one Alaska trip. He said they worked fine and have been in the closet for a couple years since. He wants $200 for the waders and boots so it's tempting. I could get them and try them in one of our ponds, get my money back if they leak. I just don't want to ruin a hunt I may only be able to pull off once in my life if they do fail so I thought I'd ask those of you more knowledgeable. I may need to start another post on this and get more opinions.

Gumbo

WKR
Go G3. 5-Layer goretex peace of mind. They are absolutely bomb-proof waders and fit well enough to hike in, there are several size configurations to tailor them to your body shape. Get Simms boots too with rivertread soles and cleats. Felt alone is absolutely terrible for hiking, no tread so you slide around on uneven terrain.

Stid2677

WKR
Go G3. 5-Layer goretex peace of mind. They are absolutely bomb-proof waders and fit well enough to hike in, there are several size configurations to tailor them to your body shape. Get Simms boots too with rivertread soles and cleats. Felt alone is absolutely terrible for hiking, no tread so you slide around on uneven terrain.

Felt is not legal anymore in Alaska,, Make sure your boots are larger than you might think you need, or the cold will wick into your feet. I bought 3 pairs of boots to figure this out. I agree with the Sims waders and boots. Tear Aid and UV Aqua Seal no light needed just sun light. The UV stuff is great and dries almost instantly, but best to cover over it with regular Aqua Seal for long term repair. I run the Simms G4 Zipps and to be honest they are bomber, never leaked in 4 years of hard use. No studs if rafting.

While Simms are the industry leader I have been running a pair of redington sonicdry waders I got for half the price for 7 years busting brush in PA fishing limestoners, my brook trout streams and steelhead with no issues. There are also many quality boots available with the same tread.

Pick you4 own poison but don't right off some other brands unless you have seen them first hand and decided they weren't for you.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
For those who use these what do you use to repair them in the field? I'm asking for the 10 day moose hunt I will be on next year. I see Simms has a repair kit available. I always pack a tube of Seam Grip in my repair kit also, is one better and are both needed? Thanks.

Also is the Freestone pant and boot enough for Alaska, or should I step up to the G3 pant and boot? I will likely only need it to perform without fail on this one trip. I'll probably use them catfishing around home for when the boat gets stuck or it's raining after this trip, but a failure on a Midwestern spring or summer fishing trip isn't the end of the world. The Freestone would be plenty good for that I'd think.

Thanks for the help.

For a big trip like the AK Moose hunt, go with the G3 Waders. I would also recommend looking at the Pant wader version vs. the full chest wader. They wear like a regular pant/rain pant, have a belt, etc., but are way easier to walk/hike in. Paired up with a good waterproof/breathable jacket, and you are good to go in rain, standing water, bogs, etc. Also, they are not as hot, so work really well as a three season fishing wader. I have used almost every style of Simms wader, and I would go with those. Pair them up with good boot - the Freestone, Headwaters or better yet, G3 -- are all good options.

Bring the repair kit, as well as some UV Cure sealant.

And if you find you don't wear them much after the moose hunt, you will get most of your $$$ back reselling them.

Good luck!