Moose recipes?

I gotta bunch a moose meat coming my way and need some help. Only ate a little backstrap that was rolled in seasoned flour and quick fried. It was okay but not really my thing. Got any incredible moose meal suggestions you can share with me and the World Wide Web?

Funny you ask, I just started soaking a 13 bean variety for moose chili that I’ll be making tomorrow. Moose has been our family’s staple for almost 30 years now and we’ve made it many, many different ways but I only have a handful of recipes that I feel are worth using. When I have more time tomorrow I’ll share some of our favorites.
af9db49595f2108accfbf92750bbcf39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrdkill

WKR
make fajitas, beef with broccoli, stroganoff, chili, cut down larger pieces to finger steaks.....list goes on....I cook mine separate when adding to other things a lot of times then just add back in at end, helps to keep from over cooking.....if a persons into the Well done stage on there meat be prepared for dry & tough...I always shoot for rare to med rare

We always have a lot of our moose ground up into burger because we can use it for so many of our standard meals like spaghetti, lasagna, (actually a lot of Italian dishes for that matter), chili, miscellaneous other burger dishes and of course, hamburgers on the grill. We always get a dozen or so roasts as well, and every few weeks will do up a roast in the crockpot. One of the biggest issues with the roasts is having it turn out a bit on the dry side and we really haven’t been able to find a good way to alleviate that problem. Moose is the leanest red meat there is, it has roughly half the fat content of antelope or elk and about a quarter the fat content of a whitetail.
One of our favorite roast recipes is to take about a 3-4 lb roast, slice roast in multiple places and stick chunks of garlic in the slices, add 2 tbs. of Worcester sauce, 1-16oz. jar of sliced, medium Pepperoncini peppers (drain half of the juice then dump the other half if juice/peppers into crockpot), and 1 packet of dry Italian salad dressing. Some people also like to add one or two beef bouillon cubes but I think that makes it too salty. Set the crockpot on low and cook for7–8 hours.

Trial153

WKR
I am making moose Osso bucco from shanks as we speak. I usually make it with root vegetables however this time I a, making it with a thick stock and putting it over biscuits

KJH

WKR
We've been eating a lot of it lately... Haven't grown tired of it yet.

Take any beef recipe and substitute for moose. That doesn't always work well with other types of game, but it really works with moose meat. Pretty much anything you would do with beef, you can do with moose...

If its not ground into burger we make: pot roast, moose stew, marinated grilled kabobs, fajitas, BBQ shredded meat sandwiches, grilled steaks, seared steaks, stroganoff, philly steak sandwiches, stir fry.

My wife made this recipe last week and used moose instead of beef...it was fantastic:Italian Beef and Bean Stew

micus

Lil-Rokslider
This has been my go to for quite some time. Simple, super tasty, lots of left overs.

2Lbs Moose
7 potatoes
3 onions
4 carrots
3 cups water
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. Worcester
5 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. olive/veg oil
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. oregano

Put oil and diced/bite sized chunks of meat in pot, brown meat. All veggies should be cut to bite sized pieces. Add water and all other ingredients besides potatoes and carrots. Simmer on stove top for an hour and a half. Add potatoes and carrots, simmer another 45 min.

add flour to desired thickness, take bay leaf out.

Serve some baddass stew. Best if served with a Kokanee or three.

hodgeman

WKR
You can substitute moose for beef in nearly anything...heck, I prefer moose to beef.

The rule is to not cook it hot and fast or it will get tough.

If you grill a steak, med rare and nothing more.

For a roast, a crock pot or pressure cooker is tough to beat.

We've been eating a lot of it lately... Haven't grown tired of it yet.

Take any beef recipe and substitute for moose. That doesn't always work well with other types of game, but it really works with moose meat. Pretty much anything you would do with beef, you can do with moose...

If its not ground into burger we make: pot roast, moose stew, marinated grilled kabobs, fajitas, BBQ shredded meat sandwiches, grilled steaks, seared steaks, stroganoff, philly steak sandwiches, stir fry.

My wife made this recipe last week and used moose instead of beef...it was fantastic:Italian Beef and Bean Stew
This^^^ at least that is how people do it here, and I love getting invited to moose dinners

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
The rule is to not cook it hot and fast or it will get tough.

Would this apply to grilling backstrap steaks too? I’ve only killed a couple Colorado moose. A bull a few years ago and a cow this last year. I usually grill my steaks hot and fast. I’ve noticed the moose steaks come off the grill being kind of firm, not chewey, and I hesitate to use the word tough as that’s not quite it either. They are very firm and have a different texture that isn’t great for eating a steak. Maybe I should grill them slower at a lower temperature? Everyone agree on this method?

Trial153

WKR
I have no problem grilling moose steaks hot, giving it a good searing and keeping it rare in the middle. Comes out super

North61

Lil-Rokslider
If it is good quality moose, killed cleanly, well treated in the field, and well butchered use it like very lean beef. If you are finding it gamey and in need of taste camo, then something possibly has gone wrong. In that case you might need to marinate in milk or in strong spices. No experience with that but good luck.

Only trick we have is when we make ground beef we don't add bad fats like pork but just 100% meat. I don't use the moose fat either at least in big chunks. We add olive oil when frying so it doesn't stick to the pan. Turns out great..and healthy too.

We do a lot of crockpot meals. Here’s a stew that we put on last night and slow cook for 10 hours. The perfect way to spend a winter Sunday, watching the playoffs and eating moose stew.
19fdd4701203f0b6a498a6aaa359f114.jpg