Inflatable Raft

Hey guys- going to be doing an Alaska moose hunt this fall and we are just trying to finalize our packing list and I need some input from the most knowledgeable people out there on this subject. From what I’ve seen and researched an inflatable raft may be an invaluable resource for this hunt. We are doing a drop hunt out in the Yukon delta so I’m assuming there will be plenty of water to deal with. Anyway, for those that have done it, is the raft worth the weight and are there any suggestions on what to buy? We have been looking at doing just a cheap intex 2 or 3 person raft but are afraid it may not hold up. Anyway, any help or input is greatly appreciated. Happy Hunting!!

Grumman

WKR
I’ve never used one but have been really intrigued by the PR-49 rafts. Search this forum and YouTube for the packraft rondy videos. That looks like an absolute blast and a bucket list item for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
While you're checking out the PR-49, give the Kork a look as well. Larry Bartlett makes both inflatables and you won't be sorry going with his company, Pristine Ventures. I'll be looking to overload my Kork this September in Alaska! Good luck in your quest and if you've got other questions I'll do my best, John.

OP
passinggas33
I appreciate the input so far, but I’m loooking at more like $20 rafts that I won’t feel bad if they pop or get trashed. I’m hoping I don’t even have to use it, but was wondering if anybody had used one of these for simply floating meat back to camp. Again any input is appreciated

Hughiam

FNG
Ive taken rafts on my two of my last three trips. I should say OUR trips because my brother is the logistician, I just paddle when he tells me. The first trip we NEEDED a raft because we were getting dropped off HERE and had to float to THERE. The raft was similar to PR49 but from a different company. We flew in with a beaver, so although weight was a consideration, the 68 extra pounds was doable. The raft held all our gear but I don't know that it would have held me, my brother, gear and a moose. We also had a small meat raft in case we were overweight, but we didn't get a moose on that trip.

The second trip was to a lake that had a canoe on it and we just paddled here and there so I won't count that one.

The last trip I made in 17 we had the same raft and a 3hp kicker motor. This was a drop camp to a lake, and pickup at the same spot. It was a larger lake and we felt the kicker would be a big help. As it turned out we never started it up as we were able to take a moose near camp.

All that being said, you may or may not need a raft depending on the size of the lake, river. The PR49 is great for tight rivers but limits gear choices. A big round raft holds much more gear, but limits your travel to larger bodies of water/rivers. How many people you put in raft affects your choice as well.

The other consideration is cost, not only of the raft but getting it from "there" to Alaska and back. I big raft can cost a few hundred dollars to ship or take as baggage. Our raft was 68 lbs on the way in and 72 on the way out. We had it wrapped in a blue tarp with duct tape and actually were cutting the tarp apart in the post office in Dillingham to make the 70lb USPS limit.

Depending on where you are going, you may be able to rent a raft from the drop service or local provider. This saves you the logistics of getting the raft here and there.

The rafts do make it nice to move meat from the field to camp assuming you kill one near the shore. If you can find out more about the body of water and it can help determine the right raft for you .

The pic below is of the "first" of 4-5 beaver dams we hit on our float trip. That and about 50 times dragging the raft that day about killed us. The river we floater was really low and once we started floating, we were committed despite the conditions.

Good luck!

View attachment 64906

Jimss

WKR
You never really mentioned what type of hunt you are planning? A river trip, lake drop, etc? You may be able to rent a raft from your flight service? It may be pretty spendy shipping a raft up there? You may want to buy one at Cabelas or other store in Anchorage when you get up there to save shipping? Another option is to bring along a pack raft/s. They are super light and packable if you are hiking. There are quite a few options. I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap raft...it may create more problems than the good it does!

From your first post I would say that the person who has the most experience would be Larry Bartlett and he is on this forum. A PM would be worth a shot. However, more info is needed to steer you the right direction. The type of hunt etc. and logistics of the drop hunt would be critical as to the purpose of the raft. It sounds like this isn't a float trip if you are looking at a $20 raft and you don't care if it gets destroyed. I do not mean to sound rude but that sounds like recipe for disaster. Meaning: if you have a raft and use it even to ferry gear across a river you would want something better built as I would have to tear it up in deep water and risk losing necessities that could mean life or death if the unthinkable happens.

GLB

WKR
If you are going to float an Alaska river, please do not skimp on a quality raft. Alaska rivers has much potential to be dangerous.

OP
passinggas33
I should have given more info about the hunt. This is a drop hunt most likely on a small lake or on a river over on the Yukon delta somewhere north of Bethel. At this point we aren’t sure of our exact location as our outfitter hasn’t told us, as he hasn’t decided exactly where it will be. From what I have gathered most guys just pack their meat back to camp on their back but complain about all the sloughs and small streams they have to cross. This raft would not be meant to float in or on and would be just to transport the meat through these areas to just try and give our backs a break. Or to walk it along the edge of a river. Again, no person would be in it, just meat. Anyway, is it still a waste of time, money, and energy based on these thoughts. If I was going to be floating in it, or putting any gear in it, Larry’s gear would be at the top of the list.

Jimss

WKR
You may want to consider pack rafts I mentioned above. Most of them weigh less than 10 lbs. I'm not sure if I would want to lug much more than that around swamps. If you have one in your pack and hike up a river you can always float down it. You also should be ok for crossing lakes/swamps as long as it isn't too windy. They don't hold a lot of weight or bulk so that may or may not be what you are looking for. It would allow you to be a little more mobile though.

OP
passinggas33
Asked the outfitters and they can rent us one but it wouldn’t be cheap :)- Anyway, I appreciate all the insight and advice people have offered. Sounds like I’ll most likely be putting the meat on my stone glacier and just hauling it the good old fashioned way. The weight vs benefit may just not be there for us on this particular hunt.

Pm me who you are going with. I think I have a good idea who. I went to the Yukon delta last year with an outfitter and can offer some suggestions if you are going with who I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hughiam

FNG
okay, I would ditch the raft and get a good roll up sled. These pull fairly easy and save your backs. I would still take a frame pack for water crossings to keep the meat dry if possible. Go slow, its not a race.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Assuming you are putting up $3-$5K each for this hunt everything said and done. I would feel pretty silly with a pop raft with you and most of the moose on the wrong side of the river or creek from camp because you didn't want to shell out $1500 for a raft that is much better suited for the endeavor. Couple that with the fact that you could resell for 80%+ of the initial cost seems like pennies in the scheme of things for a bit of added insurance. I would also be dang frusterated if there was a giant moose on the other side of the river I was dropped off on and could easily shoot it with no way to retrieve it. Options are a very good thing, especially when in reality you could be in and out of it for less than $200-$300 if you wanted to sell it after you used it. I use a PR-49 on several fly out hunts. The amount of versatility and options it affords and still can ship 2 rafts (including PFDs pump, paddles and patch kits) if I wanted more than pays for itself in short order vs renting rafts or paying extra to send a bigger heavier raft to a remote location in advance. Again not knowing where you are going its hard for us to say if you'll even need one. But if landing on a river it would be an easy decision for me to have the option to just get across the river. If landed on a large lake then obviously if you shot one on the far side you could pack it around.....that said again the raft would make things A LOT easier.

OP
passinggas33
Thanks for the input from all of the many contributors. When I previously talked with my outfittter he said it was a “need” basis and if I didn’t need one and still wanted one the I would have to pay for it. I guess we had a little bit of a miscommunication there. But as I have further found out from talking with great people on this forum who went through the same outfitter, he sends one with just about everybody unless he thinks there is absolutely no way you would need one. But it sounds like we will have a pretty decent set up most likely. All this stress and concern over these “small” things, getting ready for this hunt, may be the death of me at an early age. In the meantime thanks again for all the help from all you amazing Roksliders!!

I got a PR49 HD for the same reason. Here's the maiden white water voyage as seen on facebook.

10246785_10208344705556339_8022102834776636802_n.jpg

Here it is in real life. LOL

12717632_10208344707516388_6870093802182293119_n.jpg

This is great for a dedicated float trip only. Too heavy otherwise.

I also got a Yukon Yak for BP trips. Here they are side-by-side.

d3c98f95d4ffb95126d1692efd8329f7.jpg

The PR is 15lbs w/o the floor insert. The Yak is only 5lbs 3 oz.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Bruce does your Yak have a Spray Skirt? Did you actually weigh yours on a scale? I found our Alpackas (especially then newer (post 2014 I believe) big but styles come in close to 7 pounds with a spray skirt. Regardless if two people are planning on going the weight difference between an 2 Alpacka and 1 PR-49 is actually not that much. Couple that with the more comfortable sitting style of the PR-49 over the Alpacka for hours of floating most of the time the PR-49 wins when going with two. Or especially when hauling game is on the docket. Of course I have hauled the PR-49 35 miles one way before on approaches to reach rivers to float out. It's really not that big IMO. Of course solo and just for hiking I am taking an Alpacka all day long.

Yes, I bought all the extras including the skirt! Weighs 6.7lbs. I blame rokslide for costing me so much coin. LOL
My PR49HD also has the floor insert which adds 6lbs but increases the weight capacity by 100lbs. PR 49 Inflatable Floor Insert - Pristine Ventures

I fully agree with you, the Yak is for navigating thru different terrain, the PR is for hauling alot of stuff. The difference in bulk is quite extreme. The Yak feels like balloon compared to the PR which is very robust and tough, especially the HD version. If I were hauling a moose and/or brown bear home, the PR is my choice for sure.